Jahmyr Gibbs (Georgia Tech RB) announces his transfer to Alabama

He’s the ******* event horizon of the Bammer black hole.
univere.jpg
univere.jpg

Advertisement
What about North Murray? That's where all the cool kids go these days.
That wasn't around when I was in high school. Murray County use to be pretty good back when Billy was QB'ing and his pops was the coach.

Advertisement
Ideally, this is how you use the transfer portal. Not to plug holes like we've used it but to bring in high-end talent. Bama added Jameson Williams who was an absolute stud and the LB from Tennessee and now Gibbs.

Bama is plugging holes this year they were down bad in their rb depth chart

Bama actually has gone after transfers for years. Well before the portal. They took a WR from Bowling Green ffs one year.
You can tell who is green to this thing. They think because it has aname like "portal" it wasnt taking place or something.

Mfers been transferring for years and Bama been going after transfers since Saban has been there.

That being said...they obviously tampered. Saban was crying about rb depth toward the end of the szn.

Advertisement
He's in it or only $$? Gt out bagged Bama during his recruitment though?

He's established. He'll be in the combine, and he'll get his shot @ the NFL.

The "spirit" of the portal lies in giving bench players that were perhaps lied to on the recruiting trail an opportunity out of a bad deal.

The unfortunate consequence of it coupled with this new NIL thing is that now even extremely good players are essentially free agents that can legally (and covertly) go to the highest bidder.

Why stay @ GT for another year when a check is waiting for you @ Bama? There are 100's of kids risking everything in the portal with no home while players like this with no risk at all get an expense-paid 1-way ticket. And looking at it from his perspective, why not?

10 former transfers were all SEC this season. Many SEC Asst Coaches are told not to unfollow recruits after they commit elsewhere on eNSD and NSD because they will likely require recruitment again when they hit the portal a year or two later.

Advertisement
He was the #8 RB in the nation coming out in 2020.

Steady 5.2 ypc his 1st two yrs; had 1200+ scrimmage yrds & 10 TDs in his sophomore campaign, playing w/ a QB who can’t throw for chit. Nice pick up for Bama.
He's about to go crazy at Bama with Bryce Young at QB. He can be a workhorse back too. Wouldn't surprise me to see him do 1K rushing with 350+ receiving in the SEC.

Only Clemson and hardass Dabo is the only team not really trying to utilize the portal. Lol

If there's any money floating around town that's gonna change quickly because as a coach pointed out...

“I think the transfer piece is going to change how you recruit high schools,” Houston said. “For us, philosophy-wise, I still want to recruit high school kids. I’m big on recruiting, developing and you get your kind of culture/character guy. But if you recruit a high school kid, he can leave. That’s another piece with the transfer portal. If you recruit a transfer, at least they’re tied to you. I think it’s a balancing act. You’re going to recruit a little bit of everything.”

This will moreso benefit mid-majors, but it is something to consider. Ala players like Ewers,...the roster spot you've given a kid may just be a seat you're keeping warm for another program that was out of scholarships at the moment and had already told you simply enter the portal next year. Absolutely a mess, but thank goodness it seems we have a competent coach that will navigate things.

On Saban,...I remember he absolutely hated the portal, but if his backers can now pay his own players to stay and pay kids elsewhere to leave, he's done a complete 180 and welcomes it with open arms.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back