Jaelan Phillips ranked #20 DE

Updated DE rankings have Phillips at #20. Sounds like they are expecting him to continue to play better. Rousseau was number 1 but has been removed but Phillips and Roche are 20 and 3 on the list. Nice to have top defensive ends. Interestingly Pitt has 2 DEs listed as well in Weaver and Jones.

Advertisement
Interesting that the Purdue kid is high on this list. Kid wanted to come here iirc

I coached Weaver in high school. He was good but I could only dream of him making the impact that he has. Many of us are pleasantly surprised. Apparently he was just scratching the surface in high school because he REALLY turned into a beast at Pitt.

A phenomenal kid too. I'm so proud of him. Their coaches say he works his a$$ off and he's a film junky. They're thinking he could go 1st round. Michigan probably slapping themselves for dropping him.

Advertisement
Like GR, I expect JP to start getting 1-2 sacks a game from here on out. Don't let the box score analysts tell you he is #20 because watching the film tells you otherwise. Does he have room for improvement, heck yes, but he is so disruptive and causes chaos that opens it up for other defensive players. Guarantee you NFL teams are salivating over this guy.

Like GR, I expect JP to start getting 1-2 sacks a game from here on out. Don't let the box score analysts tell you he is #20 because watching the film tells you otherwise. Does he have room for improvement, heck yes, but he is so disruptive and causes chaos that opens it up for other defensive players. Guarantee you NFL teams are salivating over this guy.
Has to produce sacks or he will not move up.

Advertisement
Updated DE rankings have Phillips at #20. Sounds like they are expecting him to continue to play better. Rousseau was number 1 but has been removed but Phillips and Roche are 20 and 3 on the list. Nice to have top defensive ends. Interestingly Pitt has 2 DEs listed as well in Weaver and Jones.

I don’t agree with many of these rankings, such as ranking Chubba Hubbard over Etienne, and not ranking Bubba Bolden as a top25 safety, as prime examples. That said, it’s interesting list. It’s still early in the season, and Phillips has a chance to improve his draft stock. But Phillips needs at least 9-10 sacks to get the kind of NFL interest that he deserves

You sound like an agent.
He should stay One more year. He hasn’t played in like 2 years and should stay to fully maximize his potential. He has all the tools to be an early first round pick. I don’t see anything he could do this year to make that happen. Your talking about the consensus number one overall recruit. Not even Flowe had that ranking. Have home leave to the Nfl as a 3rd or 4th Rounder? After all he’s been through he should come back. One more year getting his body stronger and faster would be optimal.
He’s put on a lot of good weight really quick. If he spends one more year working on his speed and technique he will dominate next year and almost guarantee himself a round one pick.

Lol if you saw his Instagram story today, he’s leaving after this year no matter what.

Advertisement
Rousseau only played half a season of college ball (medical redshirt, then started game 6 last year) right? Will he go where he’s being projected?
Projected? Depends on who’s board.
His last interview I think he said he thinks he’s going too 10. So that must be what his agent or people close to him have told him.

idk where the draft “experts” have him .

But I doubt Drew would go so hard after him if he wasn’t a first rounder. But if he spends all this season in the gym with speed coach and gets a blazing 40 he would definitely move into the early 1st imo.

Projected? Depends on who’s board.
His last interview I think he said he thinks he’s going too 10. So that must be what his agent or people close to him have told him.

idk where the draft “experts” have him .

But I doubt Drew would go so hard after him if he wasn’t a first rounder. But if he spends all this season in the gym with speed coach and gets a blazing 40 he would definitely move into the early 1st imo.
Good points. I think he’s super talented, but don’t recall somebody whose never played a season of college football going in the first round.

Bruh he's been good but he's not a top pick. Take your glasses off

Advertisement
You sound like an agent.
He should stay One more year. He hasn’t played in like 2 years and should stay to fully maximize his potential. He has all the tools to be an early first round pick. I don’t see anything he could do this year to make that happen. Your talking about the consensus number one overall recruit. Not even Flowe had that ranking. Have home leave to the Nfl as a 3rd or 4th Rounder? After all he’s been through he should come back. One more year getting his body stronger and faster would be optimal.
He’s put on a lot of good weight really quick. If he spends one more year working on his speed and technique he will dominate next year and almost guarantee himself a round one pick.
This is where I’ve been shocked at guys who have huge potential that decide to declare East and get taken in the middle rounds instead of staying and moving up draft boards. It’s becoming like baseball where guys prefer to be developed in pro systems, as opposed to college. I don’t understand it though, bc the guaranteed money in round one compared to middle rounds is night and day.

I don’t agree with many of these rankings, such as ranking Chubba Hubbard over Etienne, and not ranking Bubba Bolden as a top25 safety, as prime examples. That said, it’s interesting list. It’s still early in the season, and Phillips has a chance to improve his draft stock. But Phillips needs at least 9-10 sacks to get the kind of NFL interest that he deserves
I thought the same thing but the RB and S have not been updated this year, those are preseason rankings still... I think only QB and DE have been updated in season.

As for the comments on Roche, I thought he beat Carman many times and looked good.

Advertisement
Back