Jaelan Phillips on our offseason conditioning

Advertisement
I think for the defense it’s more about having that stamina to fight throughout the entire game if your offense is taking a little time to get going. Being on the field for 75 defensive snaps while keeping the team in the game for the OFFENSE to be able to get over the jump later in the game is big. Sometimes there are going to be games like that. Even when we are able to challenge the current elites, we will need our defense conditioned like this.

I had a couple of games like that in high school where we were on the field as a defense for a lot of the game, but afterwards, I felt like I could play another game right then and there.
No question stamina and physicality at the end of the game will separate the elite from the good. Jimmy Johnson always said that. But I was commenting on fans "having heart problems" in the first 3 quarters. One or two games during the season against really good teams, it is OK. But when you rely on the fact you will be coming from behind every game late in the 4th is a bad strategy. We see it all the time in sports when teams dig a deep hole during the game then late game heroics don't help.

No question stamina and physicality at the end of the game will separate the elite from the good. Jimmy Johnson always said that. But I was commenting on fans "having heart problems" in the first 3 quarters. One or two games during the season against really good teams, it is OK. But when you rely on the fact you will be coming from behind every game late in the 4th is a bad strategy. We see it all the time in sports when teams dig a deep hole during the game then late game heroics don't help.

I hear that too, but that’s literally been TWO out of 7 wins that has the hearts racing so far this year.

We are winning these games due to the 4th quarter play.
VT looked tired and we kicked it in, and our Dline was all over Hooker
And same with NCST

Credit Manny for bringing in the right guy.
Long gone are the days from the overated Swasey, thank god!
Make a List of Swasey's Pupils compared to Feeley's...then Holler back....Long gone are the Days of 20 1st rounders that were in incredible shape??....Gotcha

Advertisement
Feeley seems like a good SC coach. I don’t think he’s some world beater. He would look even better with elite five star talent that’s for sure. But we don’t look tired out there in the fourth. And he’s not fat. I always had an issue with Gus being fat. Like how you gonna take strength and conditioning advice from a fat guy? That’s like taking financial advice from a guy going through bankruptcy

Advertisement
Each position has different conditioning requirements. Conditioning, ideally is tailored to each position. Ex: OL vs DL, OL don't usually rotate, also don't need to play as high effort. DL rotate, they need to be going as hard as possible.

Players have to want to live in the gym, they have to want to be in great shape. That's not all on the S&C staff. You can't make players work their *** off. That comes with competition through the players. I have already stated I know Feeley, we went to the same high school and played together. He was younger than me but he was at school 5:30am lifting with us. I know he is a gym rat with great energy. I'm sure he promotes a great atmosphere, well schooled and LOVES football

Make a List of Swasey's Pupils compared to Feeley's...then Holler back....Long gone are the Days of 20 1st rounders that were in incredible shape??....Gotcha
This is a fantastically dumb take.

Training Andre Johnson and Sean Taylor would be the easiest job in the world. You are talking about genetically superior athletes who, in many cases, are unreal athletes in spite of their training. Essentially all you have to do is follow a very simple program and make sure they don't injure themselves.

I trained Eric Swoope and Shane Larkin when they were at UM and they were some of the easiest people to train in my entire career.

Do you think the Strength Coach at Bama is the reason Devonta Smith is really good or do you think maybe it's because Saban brings in the best athletes year after year?

This is a fantastically dumb take.

Training Andre Johnson and Sean Taylor would be the easiest job in the world. You are talking about genetically superior athletes who, in many cases, are unreal athletes in spite of their training. Essentially all you have to do is follow a very simple program and make sure they don't injure themselves.

I trained Eric Swoope and Shane Larkin when they were at UM and they were some of the easiest people to train in my entire career.

Do you think the Strength Coach at Bama is the reason Devonta Smith is really good or do you think maybe it's because Saban brings in the best athletes year after year?
Ask @dsddcane who played at UM about Swasey...dont take my word for it.....

Advertisement
Ask @dsddcane who played at UM about Swasey...dont take my word for it.....
Respectfully, playing for Swasey or knowing someone who did doesn't carry any weight regarding if he knew what he was doing. He didn't.

I was there in grad school when Swasey was there and while he was a nice guy, his workouts were beyond archaic and behind the times. 1980's ****. Guys constantly complaining of shoulder problems because they were benching 3x/week. No understanding of exercise physiology, and how would he? He has a Sociology degree from Baylor.

The only reason he looked good and stayed there for as long as he did was because of that 2001 season. Pretty easy to look like a hero when you can say you "trained" the greatest college football team ever assembled.

Respectfully, playing for Swasey or knowing someone who did doesn't carry any weight regarding if he knew what he was doing. He didn't.

I was there in grad school when Swasey was there and while he was a nice guy, his workouts were beyond archaic and behind the times. 1980's ****. Guys constantly complaining of shoulder problems because they were benching 3x/week. No understanding of exercise physiology, and how would he? He has a Sociology degree from Baylor.

The only reason he looked good and stayed there for as long as he did was because of that 2001 season. Pretty easy to look like a hero when you can say you "trained" the greatest college football team ever assembled.
He was there twice.....Everyone Ive spoke to loved him....and I know alot of them...was he Tommy Moffitt (who I was close to)...Absolutely Not....but alot of former players swore by him...and continued to workout with him in the Off season....

He was there twice.....Everyone Ive spoke to loved him....and I know alot of them...was he Tommy Moffitt (who I was close to)...Absolutely Not....but alot of former players swore by him...and continued to workout with him in the Off season....
I've heard the same things: He seemed to be universally admired by the players and generally a nice guy; I was there when Antrel Rolle came back to work out with him. I'm not questioning if the players loved playing for him, I'm sure they did. I'm also not criticizing his personality.

I'm just saying that from a programming standpoint, he was a dinosaur. Long gone are the days when you could write up some good bro workouts for a football team and be competitive. Feeley is the new generation of Strength Coaches because you have to understand the optimal way to train and allow your athletes to recover.

Advertisement
I've heard the same things: He seemed to be universally admired by the players and generally a nice guy; I was there when Antrel Rolle came back to work out with him. I'm not questioning if the players loved playing for him, I'm sure they did. I'm also not criticizing his personality.

I'm just saying that from a programming standpoint, he was a dinosaur. Long gone are the days when you could write up some good bro workouts for a football team and be competitive. Feeley is the new generation of Strength Coaches because you have to understand the optimal way to train and allow your athletes to recover.
Not gonna get too tough into this conversation. But question. Do you feel that feeley is cutting edge and anywhere near the upper echelon when it relates to strength programs? I have my own feelings that relate to swausey as he trained me throughout college and then for 4 years into my career after school. We all came back and plenty still do. He still trains us at colombus, at fiu, even at tropical park. Yes it's a given he doesn't get into the technology side of it. Neither do green berets(atleast that's my understanding. Lol) in my eyes alot of people could do with putting far more emphasis on their core.

Not gonna get too tough into this conversation. But question. Do you feel that feeley is cutting edge and anywhere near the upper echelon when it relates to strength programs? I have my own feelings that relate to swausey as he trained me throughout college and then for 4 years into my career after school. We all came back and plenty still do. He still trains us at colombus, at fiu, even at tropical park. Yes it's a given he doesn't get into the technology side of it. Neither do green berets(atleast that's my understanding. Lol) in my eyes alot of people could do with putting far more emphasis on their core.
Yeah, I don't wanna get too into it either. By all accounts he's a good guy, and you have a history with him and continue to work out with him. No problem at all and I don't want to insinuate that there's anything wrong with that. But claiming he was great because he trained some of the best collegiate athletes ever does not hold water.

I actually have not gotten too into the weeds of Feeley's programming to know what he does, only that he implements Post-Activation Potentiation, which is a relatively new scientific finding. That alone was enough to excite me that we were bringing someone in who was up to date with the latest methodologies. I think our conditioning has been the least of our worries this year.

I'm not nearly as concerned anymore with who "the best" is from a S&C perspective, but for a long time my vote would have gone to Jim Radcliffe over at Oregon. Taking sub-SEC athletes and getting them fast enough to completely torch everyone in their conference all the way up to competing with Auburn was pretty **** impressive.

Advertisement
Back