jacurri brown in the portal

Dream scenario
  • Cam Ward balls out this year and leads Miami to the playoffs while cementing himself as a future 1st round draft pick.
  • DJ Lagway gets playing time late in the year after Billy Napier gets fired and shows a ton of promise.
  • Lagway sees the success Cam Ward had and believes his similar skillset would thrive here as well. DJ leaves the gators to come to Miami and "compete" with Emory, Judd, and Nickel.
And then I wake up.
To your point, if Ward has the season we think he’ll have, then other portal qbs will want to come next year. We just saw it with Bo Nix and Oregon. If we keep recruiting the way we do at WR, TE, oline and even rb, portal qbs will want to play here

Advertisement
Miami is at a point in the program trajectory under Mario that you can't take a chance on a guy that has a ton of talent but may not put it all together. JB is a risk, with a ton of upside. But you have to remove all risk if you're Miami. He needs to go to a place that suits his skill set and isn't in a situation where they need to win now. Best for both parties. I'm sure he'll ball out.
This is only true if the rest of the room is bad. Nothing wrong with taking physical traits in a QB if you believe in your coaching ability.

Figured this was going to happen. He's a good guy seemingly. Loved his long form interview.

I just haven't seen it with him when he's actually played in games. Just not even close to a refined passer. Gets by on his athleticism and some natural talent, but that has a ceiling in the P5.

Interesting to see how the rest of his career goes.

Advertisement
Class act but inaccurate too often to QB at a major level - never understood why he didn't switch position to WR or TE. Wish him all the luck to succeed elsewhere.

This is only true if the rest of the room is bad. Nothing wrong with taking physical traits in a QB if you believe in your coaching ability.
Considering they scouted Judd Anderson and took his commitment...so yeah, nothing wrong with taking that kind of QB, but you can't have a room with half or more of the QBs in the developmental stage. Luckily we have Cam Ward...because without him...we'd be in for a long season.

Idk man he has the highest upside of the younger Qbs to me you invest in that...I'm not a fan of Emory based on what I've seen
To what end? Jacurri is going somewhere to be the starter and that wasn't happening here. Wouldn't have mattered if he was 2nd string or 4th..

Advertisement
JB could have transferred out as soon as the season ended. Just like TVD. Instead, he risked injury by starting and playing through the bowl game against Rutgers. He didn’t play great, but didn’t stink. Miami didn’t lose because of him. If not for JB the Canes would’ve had a walk-on QB start the bowl game.

I’ll take that over some comments in the media.
He needed film and was getting NIL checks.

Stop with the he did UM a big favor playing/losing to Rutgers.

To your point, if Ward has the season we think he’ll have, then other portal qbs will want to come next year. We just saw it with Bo Nix and Oregon. If we keep recruiting the way we do at WR, TE, oline and even rb, portal qbs will want to play here
In the portal era we can always rent a starting QB. And to your point if Cam balls out and we have the kind of season overall we expect, then we can get another similar but next year.

He’s got potential and can be successful in the right scheme. Gus at UCF would grab him in a second.
What's the end game here?

The chances he plays QB in the NFL are slim and none so he should have either planned for his post playing days by getting the best education with the best post grad job opportunities all the while going to school for free and getting $50k a year in NIL money .... or switched positions.

Advertisement

The chances he plays QB in the NFL are slim and none so he should have either planned for his post playing days by getting the best education with the best post grad job opportunities all the while going to school for free and getting $50k a year in NIL money .... or switched positions.
He wants to go somewhere to actually play football. It’s not a shock that education and post grad opportunities take a backseat to actually playing football for like 95% of division 1 players. Not to mention that in today’s transfer portal football landscape players that aren’t pushing for playing time after three years are often asked to explore other options. Nobody has a four or five year career backup quarterback. Kids want to play and teams aren’t using roster spots on guys who aren’t going to contribute

I'm very happy for Jacurri. He was not recruited by this regime and it became quite evident he was not in their plans. He did the program a solid by staying for the bowl game when he could have transfered.

I wish the staff just would have told him they didn't think he was a fit for the offense, so he could have moved on sooner.

He has talent to be a starter at the P4 level. I think someone like a Jeff Braum or Bobby Petrino would maximize his talents.

Wish him all the best!!!

Advertisement
I see we’re back to “he refused to play this year”, glad to see this place is consistent.

Considering they scouted Judd Anderson and took his commitment...so yeah, nothing wrong with taking that kind of QB, but you can't have a room with half or more of the QBs in the developmental stage. Luckily we have Cam Ward...because without him...we'd be in for a long season.
If it wasn’t Ward it would have been a different QB…

They are slim and none for 98% of college football players. Jaccuri has as much talent as Anthony Richards who went in the 1st round with a terrible body of work. Jaccuri has the talent. He needs developed. He needs to get a private QB coach this summer. Hopefully Cam Ward recommended his guy.

What I can't stand about fans in general is they can't move off from their initial judgment of players and people in general.

We see this all the time in college sports. Jaccuri played as a freshman when he should have redshirted. Because he played, fans have already judged his ability and his ceiling.

The truth is Jaccuri was mishandled. He should have left after the coaching change. I'm sure he was told all the right things to make him stay.

This staff has burned 2 freshman redshirts in back to back years. Emory will likely redshirt in year 2 like Jaccuri did.

I'm not going to pass judgment on a young man with 3 years of eligibility remaining. He gets to write his own story.

Look at Sheduer Sanders. Watching him out of high school and at Jackson State, there was no way in my mind that he could play at the P5 now P4 level. He was not that good. After tirelessly working with a QB coach, he has turned himself into a likely 1st round draft pick at QB.

The same thing goes for Jayden Daniel's. He did not play at a Hesiman level until this past season. He put it all together in year 5 of his career.

I'm not saying Jaccuri makes that same leap, but that is completely up to him. He controls his own destiny.

Best wishes to him!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back