J.D. Arteaga Comments on the upcoming season

Pitcher in the Rye

3) Man's Law 2) God's Law 1) Mr. Murphy's Law
JD gave a talk at the Miami Baseball Forum. Here are some of the tidbits and what he discussed:

Sir Cyr had a knee injury late last season and had surgery over the summer. It has affected his performance during Fall Ball but he should be ready for the opener. His defense has improved.

Carrier is the most improved player and thinks Canes fans will be excited by his play this season.

Jake Kulikowski had a very strong Fall and he expects him to be in the lineup at minimum at DH but possibly in the field in a very crowded OF.

Cuvet is a gym rat and loves practicing.

JD Urso arrives tomorrow. He expects him to be the starting SS, but Jimenez has a chance to win it during preseason. He likes Urso for the experience but Jimenez can make highlight reel plays.

Starting rotation: Rafe got the yips for about a month last season but figures to part of the rotation. (Weekday?) Hernandez has great analytics and is also expected to be a starter. Drew Dwyer should also compete for a spot. (He's 24 and married- interesting tidbit)

Bullpen: He didn't sugar coat it: it's a major concern.

Fenster almost didn't get hired because Rad said it wasn't in the budget. JD said Rad wanted to be involved in the hiring of the staff as a condition of JD's hire.

When asked about Rosario's regression over three years: "He got worse statistically but his velocity and spin rate improved. I don't know why he regressed. It was up to him to figure it out". This paraphrasing but very close to what he said. He seemed a bit defensive about the question understandably.

When asked why Ziehl started against Maine in the regional: "We wanted Ziehl to pitch twice in the regional. We try to win the regional, not game 2."

NIL: JD feels the NCAA doesn't want to police NIL because of repercussions from lawsuits, unless its blatant. Players in the portal have dollar amounts next to their names. He believes UM is catching up with NIL. He doesn't like it, but recognizes it's here to stay.

Advertisement
JD gave a talk at the Miami Baseball Forum. Here are some of the tidbits and what he discussed:

Sir Cyr had a knee injury late last season and had surgery over the summer. It has affected his performance during Fall Ball but he should be ready for the opener. His defense has improved.

Carrier is the most improved player and thinks Canes fans will be excited by his play this season.

Jake Kulikowski had a very strong Fall and he expects him to be in the lineup at minimum at DH but possibly in the field in a very crowded OF.

Cuvet is a gym rat and loves practicing.

JD Urso arrives tomorrow. He expects him to be the starting SS, but Jimenez has a chance to win it during preseason. He likes Urso for the experience but Jimenez can make highlight reel plays.

Starting rotation: Rafe got the yips for about a month last season but figures to part of the rotation. (Weekday?) Hernandez has great analytics and is also expected to be a starter. Drew Dwyer should also compete for a spot. (He's 24 and married- interesting tidbit)

Bullpen: He didn't sugar coat it: it's a major concern.

Fenster almost didn't get hired because Rad said it wasn't in the budget. JD said Rad wanted to be involved in the hiring of the staff as a condition of JD's hire.

When asked about Rosario's regression over three years: "He got worse statistically but his velocity and spin rate improved. I don't know why he regressed. It was up to him to figure it out". This paraphrasing but very close to what he said. He seemed a bit defensive about the question understandably.

When asked why Ziehl started against Maine in the regional: "We wanted Ziehl to pitch twice in the regional. We try to win the regional, not game 2."

NIL: JD feels the NCAA doesn't want to police NIL because of repercussions from lawsuits, unless its blatant. Players in the portal have dollar amounts next to their names. He believes UM is catching up with NIL. He doesn't like it, but recognizes it's here to stay.

Thanks for sharing... I'm not happy on how the search went for the Manager and especially not pleased with Rad overseeing the hiring of the assistants. Morales should have been on the staff as JD's first hire.
It will be interesting to see the opening day lineup and see how it evolves as the season goes on....
The freshmen will contribute greatly this year.
Any mention of why the Catching position wasn't addressed during the off season?

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

Please confirm if this is true. I was told from a few people at the forum, that JD specifically said that he has to personally raise all the NIL money himself, that the school/collective was not helping them. Meaning, he’s approaching business, business people by himself to get the kids deals or kids themselves are approaching business.

Advertisement
Please confirm if this is true. I was told from a few people at the forum, that JD specifically said that he has to personally raise all the NIL money himself, that the school/collective was not helping them. Meaning, he’s approaching business, business people by himself to get the kids deals or kids themselves are approaching business.
Not true, but he is trying to put together a mini-baseball collective made up of 80-100 donors. Nothing huge per donor, but will have a massive impact.

This is terrifying. Ziehl threw 83 pitches on Friday. The only way he contributes again is in relief on Monday. How do you avoid needing a reliever on Monday? Win game two.

Not true. The school is helping and trying to form a small collective. It won't be LSU/Vandy level, but it will help a lot.

Baseball is certainly not a huge focus of this current administration but they understand the draw and prestige of the program. Plus, the sport is growing markedly in coverage and media spotlight, which is not lost of decision makers in the admin.

This is terrifying. Ziehl threw 83 pitches on Friday. The only way he contributes again is in relief on Monday. How do you avoid needing a reliever on Monday? Win game two.
Why are you posting under the name of a child molester? Don't you have any shame?

Advertisement

Don't love the answer..."it was up to him to figure it out". Weren't you his pitching coach?

Don't love the answer..."it was up to him to figure it out". Weren't you his pitching coach?
This is real? Oh man.

Advertisement

He's a college pitcher he has to figure out how to make adjustments on his own and by the looks of it if you saw him pitch JD tried everything.

He had issues with his mechanics from the beginning, primarily the consistency. That should have been addressed and should have been the player's main focus. Gaining velo and spin rate will further contribute to the inconsistency, if you haven't fixed that already.

I think most of us saw he became the most inconsistent when there were runners on base, but also when he had to face the lineup more than one time.

Advertisement
He had issues with his mechanics from the beginning, primarily the consistency. That should have been addressed and should have been the player's main focus. Gaining velo and spin rate will further contribute to the inconsistency, if you haven't fixed that already.

I think most of us saw he became the most inconsistent when there were runners on base, but also when he had to face the lineup more than one time.
the stretch was kryptonite to that dude

Not true. The school is helping and trying to form a small collective. It won't be LSU/Vandy level, but it will help a lot.

Baseball is certainly not a huge focus of this current administration but they understand the draw and prestige of the program. Plus, the sport is growing markedly in coverage and media spotlight, which is not lost of decision makers in the admin.
so theyre not doing much lol.

dont worry hes our manager now

so theyre not doing much lol.
Disappointing. I can remember many seasons where the baseball team was all I looked forward to between the 3 major Canes sports teams (football, baseball, basketball)...now it's been basketball but hopefully football is on its way back up...that said, I'd love to see all 3 excelling at a high level.

Advertisement
Back