Ivy League Moves to Eliminate Tackling at Practice

What this thread mostly boils down to is people who are worried about their entertainment being altered in any way by attempts to lessen the risks to the entertainer. Well not exactly in this instance. These players aren't entertainers. These are players at schools you couldn't locate on a map, in a league you don't care about, playing games you don't watch. So why are you worried? You're terrified that this might reduce concussions and/or other serious injuries and in turn be implemented at FBS schools. Who cares if it reduces brain damage, they're messin' with your foozball. You didn't say anything when they started using blanks during shootouts in movies instead of live ammo but by god enough is enough. You're putting your foot down.

And it is really going to burn your *** when a brain surgeon tells you he knows more about the human brain than you despite all the years experience you have coaching peewee football. "Big shot medical doctor with his degrees and education, I'd like to see him win the league with this bunch of turds like I did the last two years! Brain surgery ain't ****. Give me a box cutter and some channel locks and I could do the same thing he does"
Then, why not just ban tackle football? I don't see where suffering a concussion in a game is more acceptable than a concussion in practice. I think a previous poster is spot on, football as we know it will not exist in 10-15 years. Maybe sooner. Football is great to watch, not so smart to play, IMO.

Advertisement
“At this stage in their careers, these guys know how to hit and take a hit,” Mr. Teevens said in a phone interview.

This over-simplified thinking would be beyond problematic outside of any setting like the Ivy League where the sample size is extremely small and the difference in skill and speed between teams is nominal. Bottom line- a bunch of slow(er) white guys in New England avoiding receiving and administering contact except on Saturday may not lead to many issues. Extrapolate that thinking out to major college football where guys are bigger and faster than ever or within high school football where there is often an extreme gap in quality between two teams on the same field and you'll see a MAJOR spike in gameday injuries because players will essentially not be practicing the skills that actually do keep them safe during actual gameplay.

View attachment 35817
I would hope so, I don't think bags have spin moves and stiff arms to over come like a person.

A bag would run for at least 230 against an Al Golden coached defense.

Then, why not just ban tackle football? I don't see where suffering a concussion in a game is more acceptable than a concussion in practice. I think a previous poster is spot on, football as we know it will not exist in 10-15 years. Maybe sooner. Football is great to watch, not so smart to play, IMO.

Football is a multi billion dollar industry. There are too many people making too much money off of it for any changes to have so drastic a negative impact that it turns off viewers. What will football look like in 15 years? What does it look like now compared to 2001? To hear some tell it, it's a completely different charmin soft league. And for all the *****ing about the rule changes re: targeting, hitting the QB anywhere, defenseless receivers etc. how are the NFL's ratings? Still the top 10 viewed programs on TV every week during the season? Still making more money than most Caribbean nations? "Grr I'm so mad about all these new pussyass rules that I'm going to watch every second of every game that I can! Grr that's how mad I am! Sure I bought the Sunday Ticket, but I'm going to hit the NFL where it really hurts! Via a poorly spelled tweet! Cuz grrrr!

Football is a multi billion dollar industry. There are too many people making too much money off of it for any changes to have so drastic a negative impact that it turns off viewers. What will football look like in 15 years? What does it look like now compared to 2001? To hear some tell it, it's a completely different charmin soft league. And for all the *****ing about the rule changes re: targeting, hitting the QB anywhere, defenseless receivers etc. how are the NFL's ratings? Still the top 10 viewed programs on TV every week during the season? Still making more money than most Caribbean nations? "Grr I'm so mad about all these new ******* rules that I'm going to watch every second of every game that I can! Grr that's how mad I am! Sure I bought the Sunday Ticket, but I'm going to hit the NFL where it really hurts! Via a poorly spelled tweet! Cuz grrrr!

It's actually statistically proven that football participation rates continue to decline. Viewership is certainly up, but so are the number of people that can now watch games - this number increases every year. There have been a number of deaths in high school football over the last few years and many high schools are shutting down programs. Parents are also being more vocal about their kids not playing football. Obama even said he wouldn't want his kid to play football. Antwaan Randle-El recently came out and said he wouldn't have played if he knew how he would feel every day. Former players are hooked on painkillers - watch the TV series on Ray Lucas. Several players in their prime (Patrick Willis, Anthony Davis, Chris Borland and perhaps Megatron) are retiring way earlier than normal to prevent long term suffering from the sport. Things are going to change over time as more and more attention is brought to this issue. I think anyone that thinks otherwise is being ignorant.

Here is an interesting article / video
How former San Francisco 49ers Chris Borland's retirement could change NFL forever

It's the pussafication of America. If college football follows suit, I'll have to quit following it.

So true! Said the same thing myself. Won't be long before boxing is done in simulators. Pussification will only stop when real men stop attending and watching games to force the $$$ hand.

Advertisement
It's the pussafication of America. If college football follows suit, I'll have to quit following it.

So true! Said the same thing myself. Won't be long before boxing is done in simulators. Pussification will only stop when real men stop attending and watching games to force the $$$ hand.

I assume you mean when real men stop playing the game.

(j/k)

Avoiding brain damage is not pussification. It's being smart.

Call it "pussification" and yell at the sky if you want, but it's the way the sport should be moving. It doesn't matter how much muscle you have- your brain will still have the consistency of egg whites. Also, the "knew the risks" crowd cracks me up, because it's well-documented that the NFL followed the Phillip Morris model of science suppression.

These kids got into football with full contact practices correct?

If you object to the hits why would you get involved with the game to begin with?

If you feel that you are not safe playing the game with full contact, then why not stop playing, and move on to something else?

Why is common sense a super-power in 2016?

Research is starting to show that the thousands of sub-concussive hits that players take during practices contribute just as much to CTE as true concussions do. I'm not opposed to trying to limit the number of hits a player takes over his career as a way of addressing CTE.

So, that's what happened to me. I was always getting headaches after practice. That was a long time ago. Used our heads a lot.

Advertisement
Ain't nobody suppressing science these days and kids still playing, albeit in slightly reduced numbers. Rule changes have made the game safer and the game is still entertaining. The way some youth football used to be coached was idiotic. Football will never be a safe sport cause in ain't *** dam tennis.

someone will come up with a concussion limiting helmet and make a fortune. Football isn't going to disappear.

someone will come up with a concussion limiting helmet and make a fortune. Football isn't going to disappear.
main-qimg-92bb1d2497d7d70b4b4c81447460a495.jpg

Advertisement
Culture change is probably more related to the decline in football or any other contact sport than injury or deaths. Kids today spend less time in activities outside the home that risk injury than kids in past years. That's the difference between tech kids and sticks and stones kids. But you also have to consider Parents are different to today than they were in years past. Today's Parents are more sensitive to their kids risk of injury than they were in years past. Years past a parent would say don't build ramps so that you can jump them. The kid would do it anyway and eventually brake an arm or minor scrapes and bruises. Today's parents buy a wii console because its safer. So the kids grow up softer like their parents.

So it boils down to a culture change. You have more people in power that are softer be it guns or contacts sports that are in positions of power that are ultimately making the decisions on if we can have guns or play contact sports.

Last edited:
There is risk in life, we attempt to mitigate it but staying home playing video games also has its risks. Things can fall out of the sky, houses catch fire, criminals invade, vision can be diminished, ability to socialize with others is affected, etc, etc, etc.

Football training methods can be improved and equipment made safer, yet even running can kill a what appeared to be a healthy player. Those who consider the game too dangerous can play or watch more pastoral games, like golf. Just be careful driving in the hostile environment of people, roads, and weather!

Evolution of the boy.jpg

That Cincinnati-Pitt playoff game this years was brutal. Unnecessary roughness is too mild a term for what when on.
Attempted manslaughter is more accurate,

Advertisement
So dumb, and anybody whose also actually played/coached will agree.

If you don't learn how to tackle, you will get hurt during games. Limiting hitting is one thing, eliminating it entirely will only increase injuries, especially head/neck ones.

Did you just choose to ignore the part where actual research proved the exact opposite of everything you just said?

You're a pretty dumb person.

I said/agree with LIMITING hitting in practice to reduce injuries (like the research says, genius). It's retarded, however, to not practice tackling AT ALL. That inevitably leads to more serious injuries in games (because kids don't know how to tackle with correct form).

Nice try though dude, this football thing must be new to you

I'd have more to respond with if you actually made even a single good point, but you didn't. Show me where the article says they don't practice correct tackling form?

Did you also ignore this part here-

"Mr. Teevens said that contrary to some fears, his players have become better tacklers. Players still tackle from 500 to 800 times a year, but instead of launching themselves at other players in practice, they focus on how they tackle to avoid head collisions. The number of missed tackles in games has fallen by more than half"

I wouldn't respond....you're not doing a very good job at it

Advertisement
Back