It's Probably Too Late Now, But

CaneinBroward

Recruit
if the Big 10's aim is to be a nationwide entity and a "super" conference of at least 20 teams, why not merge with the whole PAC 12? They could let the conferences play as they do now, but mandate they play 1 or 2 teams each year from the other "division". This way, they could play their "Championship" game each year in the Rose Bowl. They would get the best Big 10 and best PAC 12 team each year like they did prior to the BCS and playoff.

I don't know. It is just a shame that the lure of money is so great that it is really taking away from the sport. It was already there with the loss of the Oklahoma-Nebraska and Texas A&M-Texas rivalries, but now it will be even worse.

Advertisement
133157C8-C140-4C57-BCBD-FE20B1E33D3E.jpeg

if the Big 10's aim is to be a nationwide entity and a "super" conference of at least 20 teams, why not merge with the whole PAC 12? They could let the conferences play as they do now, but mandate they play 1 or 2 teams each year from the other "division". This way, they could play their "Championship" game each year in the Rose Bowl. They would get the best Big 10 and best PAC 12 team each year like they did prior to the BCS and playoff.

I don't know. It is just a shame that the lure of money is so great that it is really taking away from the sport. It was already there with the loss of the Oklahoma-Nebraska and Texas A&M-Texas rivalries, but now it will be even worse.
Agreed. The same is true with the SEC and ACC - why not a merger? Yes, there would be redundancies, but the super conference can still pluck some mid and west coast entities to complete a national profile.

Advertisement

The TV channels that are paying crazy amounts of money for cfb don't care about the schools that don't have fanbases. They aren't going to just double or triple the contract just because the B1G added teams with small followings like WSU and Oregon St. More teams = less money per school. I could see them wanting UW, Oregon, possibly one of the Arizona schools, and maybe Stanford for the academics. Oregon St, WSU, Cal (yes its in California but I don't think it has a big fanbase) , Utah, and Colorado likely aren't wanted.

From these conferences perspectives, why would you do a merger with another conference when you can just pluck the top tier schools out of said conference?
Agreed. However, after over 75 years of working together to have their champs meet in the Rose Bowl each year, you would think there was some kind of loyalty there? I know, morals and history get thrown out the window when $$ is involved.

Advertisement
Back