It's not all bad BUT

nickster

Freshman
I saw a lot of good things last night. The kids never quit, the offensive line was a big improvement, and the defense played very well. They played in a hostile environment and had a chance to win. I do believe we can more forward and learn from our mistakes. Just finished the Dolphin game and they played to win. Mario played to lose and that's exactly what happened and hopefully he will learn from this. The clock management was the worst I've seen and I have been a fan for 40 years. Gattis needs to run the offense highlighting the strengths of TVD. Yes he was off but looked uncomfortable and there were some crucial drops. The kicking game let us down and the OL has some bad penalties in the 4th. I would have used Thad much earlier in the game. Jacobly George must return punts because Stevenson has proven to be a liability. I blame Mario for that and an incredibly poor decision putting him back with George available. I think the season can be very bright but the offense needs to get its act together and not against some **** poor team. The play calling in the red zone was absolutely horrific. DJ Ivey played a **** of game and I was trilled. We will move on but if the offense doesn't progress I can see at least 4 losses. This will be on the coaching staff to change that. My last comment and many of you may disagree is that the coaching staff let this team down. Mario played to lose and no way Stevenson should be a punt returner. Those two factors killed us. Mattis has a lot of room for improvement and kudos to Steele for showing his value to the U as an excellent addition. WAKE UP MARIO because I have followed your career at FIU and Oregon. Play to win and give your players confidence because you didn't do that last night. You ask them for 100% effort and they gave that last night. Don't short change them with your coaching deficiencies. PS I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia get some play time.

Advertisement
I don’t understand when people say that the guy played to lose. Wtf does that mean

He wants to win more than anyone of us what the heII are you guys on about

He might have made mistakes but saying he played to lose I just don’t understand

Advertisement
It’s not all bad because I got to meet and shake the hand of THE DMoney at the tailgate in Lot 43

I don’t understand when people say that the guy played to lose. Wtf does that mean

He might have made mistakes but saying he played to lose I just don’t understand

Formula. Percentages. That's what we did.

If you don't have intuition - and willing to take SOME risk - gonna be a lot of nights like last night.

By playing conservative, not taking any chances
Formula. Percentages. That's what we did.

If you don't have intuition - and willing to take SOME risk - gonna be a lot of nights like last night.
Thx.

We took some shots we just missed em.

I think they tried to move the ball downfield on some passes and had no success so they stuck with what was getting yards

Our QB tried to beat 8 guys in coverage with his feet on a few plays too. I don’t think there were as many openings as we would’ve liked

I do agree though with how bad their o was / how well we defended them we should’ve taken more risks and deep shots

Advertisement
My skepticism about Mario's game day coaching is becoming worrisome.
Agreed, sorry to say, but that was/is my concern with Mario as well. If it was Gattis' decision to take his time on the next to last drive of the game, then Mario should have made him increase tempo.

Butch was never the best gameday coach either, but he did bring in enough talent to overcome that weakness and I hope Mario will do the same.

I saw a lot of good things last night. The kids never quit, the offensive line was a big improvement, and the defense played very well. They played in a hostile environment and had a chance to win. I do believe we can more forward and learn from our mistakes. Just finished the Dolphin game and they played to win. Mario played to lose and that's exactly what happened and hopefully he will learn from this. The clock management was the worst I've seen and I have been a fan for 40 years. Gattis needs to run the offense highlighting the strengths of TVD. Yes he was off but looked uncomfortable and there were some crucial drops. The kicking game let us down and the OL has some bad penalties in the 4th. I would have used Thad much earlier in the game. Jacobly George must return punts because Stevenson has proven to be a liability. I blame Mario for that and an incredibly poor decision putting him back with George available. I think the season can be very bright but the offense needs to get its act together and not against some **** poor team. The play calling in the red zone was absolutely horrific. DJ Ivey played a **** of game and I was trilled. We will move on but if the offense doesn't progress I can see at least 4 losses. This will be on the coaching staff to change that. My last comment and many of you may disagree is that the coaching staff let this team down. Mario played to lose and no way Stevenson should be a punt returner. Those two factors killed us. Mattis has a lot of room for improvement and kudos to Steele for showing his value to the U as an excellent addition. WAKE UP MARIO because I have followed your career at FIU and Oregon. Play to win and give your players confidence because you didn't do that last night. You ask them for 100% effort and they gave that last night. Don't short change them with your coaching deficiencies. PS I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia get some play time.
Paragraphs are your friend. No biggie.

He didn't try to win the game. To conservative, don't know how for settle for a fg in situations like that. Did he really believe they were going score a td, convert the 2 pt and win the game in ot lol ?

Advertisement
Thx.

We took some shots we just missed em.

I think they tried to move the ball downfield on some passes and had no success so they stuck with what was getting yards

Our QB tried to beat 8 guys in coverage with his feet on a few plays too. I don’t think there were as many openings as we would’ve liked

I do agree though with how bad their o was / how well we defended them we should’ve taken more risks and deep shots
dont like that we didn't go for it on 4th down on either of the second half fg drives, the first one especially.

in the postgame presser mario basically said he took the points cause he was worried about the fragility of the offense after the two missed fgs. also, I suspect he was worried about the defense then too and the game getting out of hand after a&m had marched down the field with ease on their first drive of second half.

broader point is that he blinked - showed a lack of faith in the foundation of resilience and competition that he's trying to build. i think he should've gone for the touchdown. if we got stopped, be confident and lean on the defense to flip field position.

I hope after some reflection he makes an adjustment here: in the future, be aggressive and go for touchdowns when close to the end zone cause he's confident in his defense and he recognizes that if you don't score tds in the red zone on the road you're not gonna win consistently on the road.

overall am super impressed with how he's gotten the team to buy in, fight, and be physical and competitive. just think he didn't reciprocate on those two plays.

Advertisement
Back