its 4th and 17

Advertisement
I'm a believer in blitzing young qbs. But I agree that a blitz in that situation should come from the middle, not from far outside. Push the pocket with 4 of your best pass rushers and get hands up. It's going to take a couple sec for the wrs to go 20 yards. With the gut pressure it should, at minimum, block his vision and ideally get him backpedaling. I just don't like rushing 3 DL and pinning your hopes on the QB not seeing the DB blitz

The route wasn’t that complex either, dont know why we blitzed the corner and left guys on islands when they were getting beat all game, baker did some questionable blitz packages all game

Advertisement
Theoretically they had roughly a 15% chance to convert. That is based on the data from this link:

The scatterplot demonstrates that the odds against converting really aren't all that horrible between 15 and 20 yards. Hardly good but still into double digits. It's too bad they didn't get a silly penalty to retreat to 4th and 22. At that point the odds of converting plummet to next to nothing.

You'll note from the scatterplot and the description that the odds of converting are roughly 10% greater in the middle of the field than in goal to goal situations. That is very logical and it's the reason the 4th and 17 likelihood boost to approximately 15% even though it looks lower than that on the plot.

I wanted to rush 4 but otherwise drop all 7 defenders into that 10 to 17 yard range and blanket everything, like virtually NFL defense now does in that situation. Force them to make a play into tight windows. That team was never going to throw a tunnel screen or anything similar. No worries at all about something cute. They were going to aggressively throw a dart beyond the marker.

I wanted to rush 4 but otherwise drop all 7 defenders into that 10 to 17 yard range and blanket everything, like virtually NFL defense now does in that situation. Force them to make a play into tight windows. That team was never going to throw a tunnel screen or anything similar. No worries at all about something cute. They were going to aggressively throw a dart beyond the marker.
This was the defensive alignment on 3rd and 17 in the colts-chargers game a few minutes ago

Attachments

• 70B7ABCD-8F83-40C7-8A32-BCBDD9AFAF2C.jpeg
    70B7ABCD-8F83-40C7-8A32-BCBDD9AFAF2C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back