It is and will always be coaching

Insanecane

Junior
Banned
People say it is better players, who researches, contacts, and recruits the players?
People say it is player development, who is responsible to develop the players?
People say it is execution, who teaches execution?
People say it is discipline, who sets the tone and enforces discipline?
People say it is play calling, who does that?

There was one telling quote from the Bama players that told me they were ready for this game. “We are tired of hitting each other and can’t wait to hit another team”. Saban’s practices are brutal. He believes in hard hitting hard working puke in the middle of it practices. Full tackling full contact full everything.
I heard a very similar quote 20 years ago from a Butch Davis led team. I know for a fact his practices were brutal. And while his gameday coaching left something to be desired, the team was physical a d chomping at the bit by the time game 1 rolled around.

It is coaching. Period.

Advertisement
Hate harping on it, but they managed to coach themselves out of a 2 yr losing streak vs Duke. I think they may just be good enough to begin a winning streak of our own

No, it’s talent. Now, if you don’t have talent — and we don’t — then you get super *** raped by good teams unless you have good coaching. If you buy top 5 talent, you will be top 5 most years no matter who your coach is. That’s a fact.

Advertisement
No, it’s talent. Now, if you don’t have talent — and we don’t — then you get super *** raped by good teams unless you have good coaching. If you buy top 5 talent, you will be top 5 most years no matter who your coach is. That’s a fact.
So how do you explain losing to teams like FIU or being in dogfights with Central Michigan?

We’ve had better recruiting classes than our division opponents and it’s rare we have backups in with five minutes left in the third.

Who recruits that talent?

Advertisement
We have Coker without Butch’s recruits. Butch was the last coach here that struck fear in his players. The players have been running the asylum with the assistance of the AD and president since he left.

Money was not required on many of our recruiting losses and misses. An eye for talent and a head coach that can close makes a huge difference.
That’s just not true. Money has been a huge reason why we have lost so many top tier recruits. Nobody takes over a **** program and turns it into a powerhouse these days, much less does it because they have an eye for talent. With an elite staff, we could compete for the coastal every year and possibly sneak into the playoffs once in awhile only to get smoked like Notre Dame. Kirby Smart is a ******* corch; he has one of the most talented rosters in college football history this year and just shut out Clemson.

Advertisement
That’s just not true. Money has been a huge reason why we have lost so many top tier recruits. Nobody takes over a **** program and turns it into a powerhouse these days, much less does it because they have an eye for talent. With an elite staff, we could compete for the coastal every year and possibly sneak into the playoffs once in awhile only to get smoked like Notre Dame. Kirby Smart is a ******* corch; he has one of the most talented rosters in college football history this year and just shut out Clemson.
Kirby has great assistants. His DC is a stud. A good HC’s job is about finding those assistants. And while I don’t disagree that money is important, I believe that being able to identify and develop talent is more important. Essentially we need both. Georgia vs Bama is a great example of coaching prevailing when both teams have equal talent. Clemson rocked Bama in the NC game a couple of years ago despite on paper Bama having a more talented team. Why? Coaching.
Does anyone really believe we would have beaten Bama yesterday if our team had equal talent?
And why does we always lose the Coastal race every year despite having the most talented team in it?

Coaching.

Smart letting Justin Fields get away and sticking to a pro-style offense will be his undoing. He won’t shut down Bama, Bama will shut down UGA. Clemson did, only giving UGA a FG. Until he comes to the same conclusion his mentor did he won’t win a NC. But F-UGA, who cares?

Clemson has an elite defense but an elite QB in Lawrence, Entine, and a solid corp of WRs hid OL deficiencies. DJ may likely develop into a top CFB QB but getting sacked 7 times and hit even more against top DLs make that a long road. He won’t face another DL like that in the ACC so they should run the table through the ACCCG. But F-Clemson, who cares?

Advertisement
Kirby has great assistants. His DC is a stud. A good HC’s job is about finding those assistants. And while I don’t disagree that money is important, I believe that being able to identify and develop talent is more important. Essentially we need both. Georgia vs Bama is a great example of coaching prevailing when both teams have equal talent. Clemson rocked Bama in the NC game a couple of years ago despite on paper Bama having a more talented team. Why? Coaching.
Does anyone really believe we would have beaten Bama yesterday if our team had equal talent?
And why does we always lose the Coastal race every year despite having the most talented team in it?

Coaching.
Larry Coker and Randy Shannon led maybe the greatest team in college football history. I know for a fact what we’re up against when it comes to pay-for-commit. It’s a ******* joke. No one is picking GA because of their corching. And there ain’t a coach in the world that can turn Miami into Bama or GA right now without spending millions paying players. It‘a exactly why Jimbo decided to leave FSU. The sponsors started to limit their support. Now he’s back in business building a top 5 roster along the lines.

I think you are touching on a greater problem which is the gulf between the perennial playoff teams (especially Bama) and others.

Imagine the Dolphins having five first round and second round picks every year while everyone else has one. Of course the rest of the teams wouldn’t allow that.

But for some reason all the other college teams remain silent as teams like bama hoard talent at every position and have 1000 analysts.

The notion that teams (and the ncaa) care about the student athletes and competitive balance is a joke. It’s all about the money. Vanderbilt couldn’t care less about its student athletes and the prospect of ever winning the SEC. They want that check.

Unless something is done college football will lose viewership. Look at the nba (yes I know the bucks just won).

I don’t know what realistically can be done to a team like bama though.

If I could, I would limit the amount of five and four stars they can sign and limit the amount of analysts they can have.

And I haven’t even touched financial contributions private boosters give to the program. Bama basically has an unlimited salary cap. 99% off teams can’t even compete with them financially.

I believe bama’s third stringers could be a top 25 team.

How can the have nots compete against that unless it’s the rare team that has a transcendent qb and/or fields a talented team?

College football is broken. Bama has become the Agent Smith of The Matrix.

People say it is better players, who researches, contacts, and recruits the players?
People say it is player development, who is responsible to develop the players?
People say it is execution, who teaches execution?
People say it is discipline, who sets the tone and enforces discipline?
People say it is play calling, who does that?

There was one telling quote from the Bama players that told me they were ready for this game. “We are tired of hitting each other and can’t wait to hit another team”. Saban’s practices are brutal. He believes in hard hitting hard working puke in the middle of it practices. Full tackling full contact full everything.
I heard a very similar quote 20 years ago from a Butch Davis led team. I know for a fact his practices were brutal. And while his gameday coaching left something to be desired, the team was physical a d chomping at the bit by the time game 1 rolled around.

It is coaching. Period.
1000% ☝️

Advertisement
Back