It’s over

Go to page 6. Testing ~25000 per day with peaks and valleys. Positive rate slowly declining since June while testing remains constant. And we went to Phase 3 a week ago with limited indoor restaurant seating and public spaces reopening. And we have Conservative provincial leadership, which I voted for.

A proper 1-2 month lockdown along with masks and physical distancing as follow-up works in fighting this virus. That's been proven across the world. It would still work for the US but that ship has sailed as there is no appetite for it among the public anymore, if there ever was. US did a half-assed lockdown with Trump and right-wing governors talking about reopening pretty much from the moment it started creating instant pandemic fatigue. And many/most of you soaked it all up and continue to run with it. It's good to see mask adoption finally taking hold and that will help bend the curve but without a fresh lockdown it will be a slow burn until widespread vaccine distribution because the spread has already taken hold at such high incidence.

Can't wait for the irrelevant straw man responses about mortality and "just the flu" and all that when we're 5 months into a novel pandemic and your (not you gogeta, but the majority of the centralizing, alienating COVID board) foolish arguments have done nothing but inhibit the very things which you want most dearly.
Not too much air conditioning in Ontario.

Advertisement
If that’s the case, the schools will keep spending money to regularly test and contact trace the student-athletes.

They won’t, of course. Because they don’t really care.

The players will be less safe because of these cowardly decisions. The schools just want to maintain the status quo of amateurism.
What you said here stuck in my head all night, and I had to revisit.

In my post that you partially quoted, the unquoted portion contained a reference to an article I linked about the potential long term effects of Covid on the heart.

Your answer was, essentially, if the schools cared, they could just test more. But testing only IDENTIFIES positive cases; it does not, in any fashion, help to AVOID contracting the virus in the first place. As such, I think your logic is flawed.

Now, you can make the argument, as many here (and TLaw) have, that the kids would be safer at school. I’d dispute that, and my reasoning would be that if kids were gonna take the virus seriously at school (not looking for ***, for example), then they’d be just as likely to do the same if they are sent home. The kids that are gonna take the virus seriously will take it seriously at home, or at school (while playing football). I find this excuse to be a cop out.

I do agree with the amateurism scam... as I said, I believe you’ve seen my posts over the past few weeks on that topic. Paying athletes, BLM, Covid... they are all interrelated. It’s an election year, and the country has never been more opinionated and divided, so the unfortunate reality is that it is spilling into sports (none of us argued like this during the 2016 election).

But the fact remains, the cases and deaths are at an unacceptable level. To me, the argument that most younger people won’t get seriously sick (which, I agree, the data suggests), ignores the fact that we don’t know what the long term implications of contracting the virus will be. That’s why my arms are as skinny as they’ve been since I was 14.. I’m not ready to go back to the gym yet.

I just think there is more truth things like GR15’s mom being a nurse weighing into his decision to opt out, than people give it credit for. And the reason I believe that is because of my aforementioned skinny arms. I’m not gonna die if I get Covid. But Id rather avoid catching it if I can, cause I don’t know what the long term impacts will be. So I’m not back at the gym.

I finish by saying that I am in agreement with you on your opt out stance: so long as the scholarships and eligibility are guaranteed, the kids (with their parents, etc) should be able to make the decision to play. But I also understand the position of the conferences/presidents/ADs, in saying that “we talked to the experts and know more than you do, and we shouldn’t play.” It sucks. But I get it.

Advertisement
Now, you can make the argument, as many here (and TLaw) have, that the kids would be safer at school. I’d dispute that, and my reasoning would be that if kids were gonna take the virus seriously at school (not looking for ***, for example), then they’d be just as likely to do the same if they are sent home. The kids that are gonna take the virus seriously will take it seriously at home, or at school (while playing football). I find this excuse to be a cop out.
Personal responsibility based on peer pressure is a real thing. Does a kid want to be called out for having himself and 10 other teammates miss a game because he did something stupid? That pressure doesn't exist at home. Players will tell you football in non pandemic times provides structure and gives them something to work for and be a part of. They would've gone down a different path stuff. The whole "football saved my life" stuff. Being the reason the starting secondary misses the FSU game hits different than testing positive at home and only your parents know about it.

Not too much air conditioning in Ontario.
What does this mean? It's extremely hot and humid where I live right now and so people are indoors with A/C, or outside under shade. Isn't A/C good for ventilation vs. stale air?
What you said here stuck in my head all night, and I had to revisit.

In my post that you partially quoted, the unquoted portion contained a reference to an article I linked about the potential long term effects of Covid on the heart.

Your answer was, essentially, if the schools cared, they could just test more. But testing only IDENTIFIES positive cases; it does not, in any fashion, help to AVOID contracting the virus in the first place. As such, I think your logic is flawed.

I do agree with the amateurism scam... as I said, I believe you’ve seen my posts over the past few weeks on that topic. Paying athletes, BLM, Covid... they are all interrelated. It’s an election year, and the country has never been more opinionated and divided, so the unfortunate reality is that it is spilling into sports (none of us argued like this during the 2016 election).

But the fact remains, the cases and deaths are at an unacceptable level. To me, the argument that most younger people won’t get seriously sick (which, I agree, the data suggests), ignores the fact that we don’t know what the long term implications of contracting the virus will be. That’s why my arms are as skinny as they’ve been since I was 14.. I’m not ready to go back to the gym yet.

I just think there is more truth things like GR15’s mom being a nurse weighing into his decision to opt out, than people give it credit for. And the reason I believe that is because of my aforementioned skinny arms. I’m not gonna die if I get Covid. But Id rather avoid catching it if I can, cause I don’t know what the long term impacts will be. So I’m not back at the gym.

I finish by saying that I am in agreement with you on your opt out stance: so long as the scholarships and eligibility are guaranteed, the kids (with their parents, etc) should be able to make the decision to play. But I also understand the position of the conferences/presidents/ADs, in saying that “we talked to the experts and know more than you do, and we shouldn’t play.” It sucks. But I get it.
Good points. Evidence of neurological issues post-COVID diagnosis are a major scare for me. I'm 29 and had 4 concussions when I played. I don't need to test that interaction. There are myriad other issues that can affect quality of life and in pretty high rates but most on this board have their heads in the sand regarding all of that. They think this is is a black or white, life or death matter, as they do with most things. No room for context and grey areas when you're a polarized American.

Personal responsibility based on peer pressure is a real thing. Does a kid want to be called out for having himself and 10 other teammates miss a game because he did something stupid? That pressure doesn't exist at home. Players will tell you football in non pandemic times provides structure and gives them something to work for and be a part of. They would've gone down a different path stuff. The whole "football saved my life" stuff. Being the reason the starting secondary misses the FSU game hits different than testing positive at home and only your parents know about it.
Then why did Lou Williams pick up wings at Magic City? Why is there an NBA snitch line? Why did Oklahoma have no positive tests for 3 weeks, but just had one (costing them a week of practice)?

I live in reality. Tell me how Sam Bruce would’ve respected his teammates and stayed in the proverbial “college bubble” cause he didn’t want to be blackballed.

I’ve yet to see a good reply to how are players safer not being in a controlled environment with coaches trying to keep them accountable, testing twice a week, protocols in place, football occupying their time and energy, than they would be without football and left to their own devices.

This is about preventing lawsuits from players who contract the virus. Universities want no part of litigation because they’d box themselves into admitting players are employees or in being responsible for their care. The choice is giving them fuel to unionize and kill the golden goose they have it opens them up to millions in civil suits.

College sports need a vaccine to play again.

We are never playing again and these idiots would rather kill the golden goose than reap the rewards with the players

Advertisement
Then why did Lou Williams pick up wings at Magic City? Why is there an NBA snitch line? Why did Oklahoma have no positive tests for 3 weeks, but just had one (costing them a week of practice)?

I live in reality. Tell me how Sam Bruce would’ve respected his teammates and stayed in the proverbial “college bubble” cause he didn’t want to be blackballed.
You're talking about an instance here and there. The exception aint the rule. You mention Lou Williams. So thats one guy out of how many NBA players? The snitch line is another form of peer pressure. You do something stupid someone might tell on you. Oklahoma paused practice because the date for their non-conference game changed. Haven't seen anything about a positive case altering practice. There also isn't any evidence that the kid did something dumb. No one said everyone would fall in line and do everything perfect but you are ignoring reality if you don't think peer pressure and exposure doesn't cause people to toe the line if for nothing more than fear. That same type of fear to owning up to a mistake doesn't exist at home.

“I live in reality” and then pivoting to a question regarding a player who was never on the team in a fake bubble....

What does this mean? It's extremely hot and humid where I live right now and so people are indoors with A/C, or outside under shade. Isn't A/C good for ventilation vs. stale air?

Good points. Evidence of neurological issues post-COVID diagnosis are a major scare for me. I'm 29 and had 4 concussions when I played. I don't need to test that interaction. There are myriad other issues that can affect quality of life and in pretty high rates but most on this board have their heads in the sand regarding all of that. They think this is is a black or white, life or death matter, as they do with most things. No room for context and grey areas when you're a
You're talking about an instance here and and there. The exception aint the rule. You mention Lou Williams. So thats one guy out of how many NBA players? The snitch line is another form of peer pressure. You do something stupid someone might tell on you. Oklahoma paused practice because the date for their non-conference game changed. Haven't seen anything about a positive case altering practice. There also isn't any evidence that the kid did something dumb. No one said everyone would fall in line and do everything perfect but you're ignoring reality if you don't think peer pressure and exposure doesn't cause people to toe the line if for nothing more than fear. That same type of fear to owning up to a mistake doesn't exist at home.
If you haven’t seen anything, you haven’t been looking hard enough (if at all).

Advertisement
Blame cnn and msnbc for pushing a hysterical narrative about spiking cases while deaths and hospitalizations go down.
Yes the 160k dead Americans are all fake news. CNN must have gotten Herman Cain to fake his death to cause more hysteria.

Has the media helped of course not but there are things that could’ve been done that would have made it easier to go forward with the season.

From a pr standpoint you can’t have professional players opting out and continue to push college students to play even if they say they want to play. It’s not a good a look especially when most of the universities are going to online classes in the fall.

If you haven’t seen anything, you haven’t been looking hard enough (if at all).
I saw it. They didn't stop practice because of a case. They stopped practice because their game got pushed back and they put the player in quarantine. And a player getting COVID isn't an automatic indictment that he did something dumb.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes the 160k dead Americans are all fake news. CNN must have gotten Herman Cain to fake his death to cause more hysteria.

Has the media helped of course not but there are things that could’ve been done that would have made it easier to go forward with the season.

From a pr standpoint you can’t have professional players opting out and continue to push college students to play even if they say they want to play. It’s not a good a look especially when most of the universities are going to online classes in the fall.
I would argue a lot of those deaths died with Covid, not from Covid.

I saw it. They didn't stop practice because of a case. They stopped practice because their game got pushed back and put the player in quarantine. And a player getting COVID isn't an automatic indictment that he did something dumb.
Lincoln Riley was maybe the first prominent coach to suggest pushing football to the spring. If you have any facts to support your allegation that the reason for cancelling practice was bc of the schedule (and not the other way around, meaning, they pushed it back because of the missed practice due to Covid), then link it.

sure

Lincoln Riley was maybe the first prominent coach to suggest pushing football to the spring. If you have any facts to support your allegation that the reason for cancelling practice was bc of the schedule (and not the other way around, meaning, they pushed it back because of the missed practice due to Covid), then link it.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...tice-opener-vs-missouri-state-moved-september

Pretty easy. All you had to do was type Oklahoma Football in whatever browser you use. Instead you wanted to be wrong multiple times for no reason

"We decided it's best to give our players some time off," Riley said in a statement. "We were able to start camp before the vast majority of teams because our Aug. 29 season-opening game date was the earliest in the country. With that first game pushed back a week or two, it only makes sense to spread out our practices and give our guys some time away. They've done a great job so far."

So locked in to what you believed that you didn't want to type in two words? Instead you made up something and asserted it as fact. Unless Lincoln Riley's words aren't any good any more?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back