Isaiah Mckenzie commits to ND

For me its easy to say "take a chance on a guy" but this isnt my job that on the line. if coaches believe they can do one thing and thats COACH. some just might think "you bring the athleticism, height, and good frame/ and or weight and i will have you making plays".BUT cmon guys look at what position we are talking about receiver when there are dudes like Rice, Moss , owens, and bruce some of THE BEST receivers EVER didnt come from
UM, UF, FSU, UGA, ALA, LSU, OSU, TEX, USC, AUB, CLEM, and much more
this position isnt about your measurable AT ALL
Except all those you mentioned had good measurables outside of maybe Rice and Bruce 40 times, but I understand what you mean.

Wouldn't say measurables don't matter at all considering the best WR in the NFL, Megatron, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc.. all had sick measurables.

EDIT: college players can be good without those great measurables, though

Adding on to this point, Moss was at ND and was kind of sort of FSU for a miniscule period of time. He was a big school guy

Advertisement
Another big time athlete I wish we would go after. Kid is versatile, can never have too many of those kinds of athletes.

So in summary, he may have been dropped by ND, and if its still valid, his only major offer is the plodding Michigan of the Big 10.

So UM, UF, FSU, UGA, ALA, LSU, OSU, TEX, USC, AUB, CLEM, and much more have all lived at Heritage to recruit Sony, watched every Heritage offensive play because of Sony, but nearly ever major program in American declined to offer McKenzie.

The best evaluators have spoken. They may all be wrong, which is a longshot but no one has missed this kid. He's been evaluated because of Sony.

Funny, no one trusts the consensus opinions of the best football coaches in America, but some of you will slobber over the rankings and ratings by the ex-mailmen who do the website evaluations. The guys who are unemployable by even a DIII school, or any real journalistic entity over Saban, Golden, Richt etc. Sounds legit. God bless message boards.

every single highlight of Heritage has McKenzie making play after play. Every person who's seen Sony play comes away raving about McKenzie. This has little to do with ratings and what websites say and everything about what people have actually seen with their eyes. Yeah, his measurables may not be great but its pretty clear the kid can play

Then why has nearly every major program, professional talent evaluators who see a lot more than highlights, all passed on him?

"The kid can clearly play."

I assume you're taking about HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, right? If so, I agree. If you're talking about major D1 CFB, then all those head coaches seem to disagree with you.

Advertisement
So in summary, he may have been dropped by ND, and if its still valid, his only major offer is the plodding Michigan of the Big 10.

So UM, UF, FSU, UGA, ALA, LSU, OSU, TEX, USC, AUB, CLEM, and much more have all lived at Heritage to recruit Sony, watched every Heritage offensive play because of Sony, but nearly ever major program in American declined to offer McKenzie.

The best evaluators have spoken. They may all be wrong, which is a longshot but no one has missed this kid. He's been evaluated because of Sony.

Funny, no one trusts the consensus opinions of the best football coaches in America, but some of you will slobber over the rankings and ratings by the ex-mailmen who do the website evaluations. The guys who are unemployable by even a DIII school, or any real journalistic entity over Saban, Golden, Richt etc. Sounds legit. God bless message boards.

By this logic, nobody would ever slip through the cracks. The NFL would be completely filled with players from the big name schools. And teams like Notre Dame and Michigan would NEVER have any playmakers.

Oh, and uh, a guy named Ed Reed...

Yeah.

not the same logic. Not every player is playing next to a player as heralded as Sony Michel…so because of it, Mckenzie gets more exposure, thus shouldn't "slip through the cracks"

that being said, I personally think he's gonna be a monster on special teams and will make an impact wherever he goes…. but i'm not Saban, Golden, Richt etc.

You're both right. Some kids develop late, slip through the cracks, are just missed on. Some heralded kids bust. But that's not what is being discussed here. There is a call for Miami to take this kid. Why? What the **** makes this board think they can evaluate talent better than all the aforementioned coaches, lol?

By this logic, nobody would ever slip through the cracks. The NFL would be completely filled with players from the big name schools. And teams like Notre Dame and Michigan would NEVER have any playmakers.

Yeah.

not the same logic. Not every player is playing next to a player as heralded as Sony Michel…so because of it, Mckenzie gets more exposure, thus shouldn't "slip through the cracks"

that being said, I personally think he's gonna be a monster on special teams and will make an impact wherever he goes…. but i'm not Saban, Golden, Richt etc.

Well maybe i worded it wrong. "Slip through the cracks" was the wrong term. Anyway, I was referring to guys who are too short or too light, thus they don't receive offers from the bigger programs. Then they end up going to a smaller program, ball out and wind up in the NFL.

Offers aren't always given to the BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS. The better players are ignored for guys who are slightly bigger and/or faster. IMO it's over-thinking on the part of college coaches. Coaches are PROJECTING players, but IMO they get a little carried away at times. McKenzie doesn't have better offers simply cause he's short. Well how the **** is his height gonna make a difference when he's returning kicks or lined up at slot WR? Dowels is THE best corner in Broward, maybe in all of South Florida. Kid has 8 picks on the season but doesn't have the same offers as other 5'10" CB's simply cause he's only 160lbs. (instead of 175 like the other top CB's down here) I don't know about you, but I'm not letting 10 or 15 pounds stop me from recruiting the best pure cover guy in South Florida. It's easier to put weight on a kid than it is to teach him how to cover.

Just my opinion. I'm not a professional recruiter though.

Check out our commitment list, and tell me you think Golden has a problem taking undersized kids.

Yeah.

Well maybe i worded it wrong. "Slip through the cracks" was the wrong term. Anyway, I was referring to guys who are too short or too light, thus they don't receive offers from the bigger programs. Then they end up going to a smaller program, ball out and wind up in the NFL.

Offers aren't always given to the BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS. The better players are ignored for guys who are slightly bigger and/or faster. IMO it's over-thinking on the part of college coaches. Coaches are PROJECTING players, but IMO they get a little carried away at times. McKenzie doesn't have better offers simply cause he's short. Well how the **** is his height gonna make a difference when he's returning kicks or lined up at slot WR? Dowels is THE best corner in Broward, maybe in all of South Florida. Kid has 8 picks on the season but doesn't have the same offers as other 5'10" CB's simply cause he's only 160lbs. (instead of 175 like the other top CB's down here) I don't know about you, but I'm not letting 10 or 15 pounds stop me from recruiting the best pure cover guy in South Florida. It's easier to put weight on a kid than it is to teach him how to cover.

Check out our commitment list, and tell me you think Golden has a problem taking undersized kids.

Who's undersized? Berrios?

Wasn't really referring to Golden anyways. I was mainly referring to recruiting in general.

And these coaches don't do as much research as the casual fan thinks they do. They get wind of a kid, look at his tape, give him the eyeball test in person, then watch him play in person. Usually if they don't get a boner during the eyeball test then why won't even take a chance to see if the kid can actually play or not. Dowels is a perfect example. They get interested but as soon as they see his slight frame in person they automatically write him off. They don't say "Well you know what, he's covering all the top WR's in South Florida this season so let me dig deeper and see how well he does against those guys." It doesn't work like that. How do you think kids who barely even play CB at their own high school get offers by major D1 schools TO PLAY CORNERBACK? They look at his frame, look at his athletic ability then go "he can play CB for us." Brandon McGee ring a bell?

We sent a RB to UCLA. He was offered on his athletic ability alone. 6'0" 190lbs 4.3 forty. They signed him and moved him to CB right away. Kid's never played Defensive Back in his life. Lucky for the kid and UCLA, it seems to be panning out quite nicely.

All I'm saying is that colleges don't always recruit the best players, they recruit the best athletes in terms of size and speed. They don't give a **** how awesome you were in high school or what kind of stats you had. If you're an inch too short or 10 pounds too light then they move on. They sign off projections. "Oh you have a RB that's 6'0" 190lbs and runs a 4.3 forty? He can play CB for us. We don't care if he's never played it, we'll teach him."

I'm not saying these coaches can't evaluate talent or that any of us are better than them. All I'm saying is that they base their evaluations off everything BUT the kid's actual high school performances. If they based it strictly off performance then guys like McKenzie and Dowels would have offers lists like Berrios and Lammons.

And THAT is what I mean when I say certain guys "slip through the cracks". Let's say Lammons goes to Florida and doesn't end up being a great CB. UF's projection doesn't pan out. Then Dowels goes to Syracuse and plays like he's been playing since high school. Locks down the best WR's in the conference. You have to look back and say "Well Dowels has been a better CB since day one. He was just 13 pounds too light so we let him go." Not saying this will actually happen, I'm only using Lammons and Dowels as an example of a kid who's hyped vs. a kid who's actually performing at a ridiculously high level. We can't honestly sit here and say that this doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Yeah.

You're both right. Some kids develop late, slip through the cracks, are just missed on. Some heralded kids bust. But that's not what is being discussed here. There is a call for Miami to take this kid. Why? What the **** makes this board think they can evaluate talent better than all the aforementioned coaches, lol?

I don't understand this line of thinking, like coaches don't miss on multiple players every **** class.

No one is saying they can evaluate talent better than Miami's coaches, but to act like just because they don't offer a kid he can't play is retarded. Coaches aren't infallible. For example, your coaches originally slow played Perryman and I'm pretty sure he only got an offer because Barrow begged repeatedly for him to get one, now he's your best defensive player. A lot of posters on the boards called for you guys to offer long before your coaches did.

Now it doesn't mean message board posters know more than the coaches, and nobody has said they do. Your view is just condescending as ****, like if coaches have one opinion on a player no one else is allowed to have one. Plenty of other staffs with decades of experience recruiting are looking at the guy, so which one of them is right? After all, they're coaches too.

Advertisement
Also...

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with offering freak athletes and finding them a spot. I would do the same. If I'm a recruiter I'm offering Torrance Gibson regardless of what he plays in high school. All I'm saying is, things would be a little different if recruiters didn't let 2 inches or 12 pounds keep them from offering a stud high school player.

Also...

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with offering freak athletes and finding them a spot. I would do the same. If I'm a recruiter I'm offering Torrance Gibson regardless of what he plays in high school. All I'm saying is, things would be a little different if recruiters didn't let 2 inches or 12 pounds keep them from offering a stud high school player.

That's how it is in most sports though. In most cases it's easier to teach freak/great athletes techniques and those same kids can make mistakes and get away with it be cause of their height/speed/athleticism.

Yeah.

I don't understand this line of thinking, like coaches don't miss on multiple players every **** class.

No one is saying they can evaluate talent better than Miami's coaches, but to act like just because they don't offer a kid he can't play is retarded. Coaches aren't infallible. For example, your coaches originally slow played Perryman and I'm pretty sure he only got an offer because Barrow begged repeatedly for him to get one, now he's your best defensive player. A lot of posters on the boards called for you guys to offer long before your coaches did.

Now it doesn't mean message board posters know more than the coaches, and nobody has said they do. Your view is just condescending as ****, like if coaches have one opinion on a player no one else is allowed to have one. Plenty of other staffs with decades of experience recruiting are looking at the guy, so which one of them is right? After all, they're coaches too.

Killa, I agree, there is no cause and effect of No major offers = can't play.

But isn't the premise of this discussion that "Miami needs to offer this kid because I saw him ball out!" and such? Not "do some underrated kids develop?" or "Do coaches make mistakes?" The Perryman example isn't applicable. Its one kid and ONE TEAM. My point is there is a near universal consensus out there. This isn't "well I'm all in Al Golden" THIS IS EVERYONE. A highly scouted kid is unwanted by the entire top 25, and is being recruited like a 2-star low BCS/ non-BCS type kid. Again, a kid that plays against a big time schedule, has a lot of tape, at a HS that everyone has passed through. Yet the big boys (and even the medium boys) aren't interested.

Fans are usually playing checkers while coaches play chess. Fans don't know how to project. There is a reason the entire top 25 doesn't want this kid, again, a kid that is at a high profile school is a major city with a top 5 teammate. These coaches don't think he will help their football program win football games. Period, right?

Yeah.

Bethel, Powell, Turner, Berrios...

Advertisement
Also...

That's how it is in most sports though. In most cases it's easier to teach freak/great athletes techniques and those same kids can make mistakes and get away with it be cause of their height/speed/athleticism.

Yeah but I'm talking about kids who are 5'10" 175lbs with major offers vs. kids who are 5'10" 160lbs with mediocre offers. (but are top performers in their region) Both are amazing athletes. One is 15 pounds heavier but the lighter one is actually better at their position.

I'm not really referring to freaks vs. JAGs.

That long *** post I made and that's all you commented on? Like I said, wasn't really referring to Miami.

That long *** post I made and that's all you commented on? Like I said, wasn't really referring to Miami.

Yes because I didn't give a **** about the rest of your long *** post. We were talking about size.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back