Is this the biggest "WHAT IF?" Miami season ever?

HurricaneAce07

Class of 2007
I've watched a lot of Miami football over the past 25+ years. In nearly ever season after 2002 we have had major gaps on both sides of the ball and in coaching. However this season was the first time I can recall seeing "balance" in nearly ever position on offense, defense and (most) coaching. We were not only competitive in every game, we had a chance to WIN every game straight up. Think about it - defense (mostly) held its own, talent/depth at every position, and defensive coaching was surprisingly good. On offense we had playmakers at WR, depth at running back and the BEST offensive line we seen in Miami in a very long time.

And yet... 7-5. It's a great reminder of how consistent QB play, head coaching and offensive play calling at key moments is so **** important.

Here's my short list of "what ifs?" on the season...
  • What if we kneel out the clock against GT?
  • What if the offense/TVD doesn't fall apart in the 3rd quarter against UNC?
  • What if we score late in the 4th with a 1st and goal against NC State to take the lead 13-10?
  • What if Emory doesn't get hurt on the late drive against FSU to tie the game 27-27?
  • What if we score late in the 4th with a 1st and goal against Louisville to tie 38-38?

Make no mistake - this team had a chance to compete for the ACC Championship this year and to get to 9-3 or better. This year was an improvement over last year, but we wasted a very special offensive line and I'm left wondering where we would have been with consistent QB play and more aggressive play calling on offense. The 2023 Miami Hurricanes are a 9-3 team at worst and should be a top 10-15 team. Period. Where do we go from here? **** if I know, but we need to keep as much of this team together as possible. I won't speak on QB changes as I have no idea if there will be better options than TVD in the transfer portal.

Advertisement
In general I hate playing what if cause it can always cut both ways, but the biggest one for me this year is #1. No reason we shouldn't be 8-4 right now and that's where most people had us this year and maybe the vitriol would be slightly less poisonous heading into the off-season.

We're an 8-4 team that went 7-5.

What if we lose both OT games and are 5-7?
Fair point. I could flip those the other way too - what if Dawson didn't go conservative against Clemson with Emory in and what if TVD played a half decent game against UVA? We handle both of those games easily...

Advertisement
Advertisement
What if we lose both OT games and are 5-7?
This
2153px-Green-Up-Arrow.svg.png
Everyone giving the moral victories away are forgetting that it goes the other way too.

Easy to make a case for being 8-4 because of the GT game. If TVD was serious about the QB position, then I think we can could argue 1 more win. Huge difference to be 9-3 with a chance for 10.

Careful now... We win 2002 against OSU and Coker would have been given a much long leash beyond 2006. I know, a Natty is still a Natty - but Coker probably stays another 2-3 years after 2006 firing in that case.
That wouldn’t have been any worse than what actually happened. And maybe Randy doesn’t end up with the job if that’s how it goes.
🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Advertisement
Half the teams in America are asking themselves the same thing.

in today’s college football, anyone can beat just about anyone.

Careful now... We win 2002 against OSU and Coker would have been given a much long leash beyond 2006. I know, a Natty is still a Natty - but Coker probably stays another 2-3 years after 2006 firing in that case.
Wait, did you really just say no to a 6th National Championship?

Advertisement
Back