Is this the biggest transformation of a program?

Advertisement
Yes. Who knows what the end result will be, but we stopped slapping new windshield wipers on our 1989 Honda Accord and just went out and bought a Ferrari. That doesn’t happen. Even the UGA examples, yes, Kirby changed the program. But UGA didn’t invest any more than they were with Richt. Or at least nothing monumental. Kirby is just better at playing the game.

Here, it’s been a complete reversal of philosophy. We went from spending nothing to spending everything. I can’t think of any examples quite like this.

I’d still put UGA ahead. Kirby transformed the areas needed to take the next step and it worked.

I would also say Riley will do that for USC given their last decade.

I want to see Mario expand the support staffs 2-3x what they are now - that will show me we mean business across the board

I think this is the biggest overhaul from school down to staff since Alabama hired Nick Saban. What say u? Have u guys ever seen this type of transformation ever before?

I think the biggest difference is that Mario will have less time than Nick.
Saban could take time to work his way to build his juggernaut. Unfortunately Mario will not be given as long a rope.
But to his advantage, he has a blueprint to refer to in Bama and coaches are willing to buy in because of Saban's success

When Mario walked in the building the program was like

1644769174943.gif

Advertisement
Saban could take time to work his way to build his juggernaut. Unfortunately Mario will not be given as long a rope.
But to his advantage, he has a blueprint to refer to in Bama and coaches are willing to buy in because of Saban's success
Mario has a contract that makes it economically impossible to give him less than 4-5 years.

Mario just signed a 10 year, $80M+ contract with a long term commitment from the school to build the program back. He has complete and total support from the top down. He’s got all the time he needs to do it right. He’d have to be struggling for bowl eligibility in year 4/5 for his seat to be even remotely warm.

And, we all know that isn’t happening. The presence of TVD and Garcia in the qb room should make this overhaul go very quickly. Regardless, his hiring was a long term one.

Yes. Who knows what the end result will be, but we stopped slapping new windshield wipers on our 1989 Honda Accord and just went out and bought a Ferrari. That doesn’t happen. Even the UGA examples, yes, Kirby changed the program. But UGA didn’t invest any more than they were with Richt. Or at least nothing monumental. Kirby is just better at playing the game.

Here, it’s been a complete reversal of philosophy. We went from spending nothing to spending everything. I can’t think of any examples quite like this.
I thought that Kirby brought in a host of analysts when he arrived, greatly expanding the back end of the football operation.

Mario will have his five years they seeing this through as the last hope for UM football imo.

Advertisement
@Dwinstitles

Did you mean biggest in Y1 or overall after a HC took over?

Very different answers.
A program that literally changed in one year from funds to staff to even talks of building a new stadium and upgrading facilities. I have never seen it. Also will add it will lead to a UM resurgence which obviously can't be seen yet.

Won't be able to truly answer this til about 4 years out.

I still would rate what Schnelly did as the biggest transformation in program history and arguably one of the most significant in cfb history. Gonna be hard to top that.

Amd tho I loathe to acknowledge them, UGA underwent a major transformation when Kirby arrived. Their support staff **** near tripled for example.

I admit to being a homer but I can't think of another team that went as suddenly from barely giving a **** to all in like Miami just did. It may seem larger because we're so close to it but we went from a fart can Honda to a full blown dragster in one offseason. If Mario can drive we should be in a real good position. Teams that aren't $ec should be real happy about Miami and USC rising up because it'll dilute the power and player stacking the 'buy everything and everyone' schools have. It automatically means they wont be as good because the best players are gonna get spread around more now instead of concentrating in 3 or 4 schools. This may be the end of the $ec getting two teams into the playoff bull****.

Advertisement
A program that literally changed in one year from funds to staff to even talks of building a new stadium and upgrading facilities. I have never seen it. Also will add it will lead to a UM resurgence which obviously can't be seen yet.
In recent memory?

Can't think of more dramatic 1-yr transformations top to bottom than Mich St and Miami.

The initial feel to me is similar to when Michigan hired Harbaugh. Success at a Pac-10 school, good recruiter but next college stop at your alma mater and better university from a historical standpoint and a recruiting standpoint. Now we watch and wait for him to build it.

Advertisement
I think this is the biggest overhaul from school down to staff since Alabama hired Nick Saban. What say u? Have u guys ever seen this type of transformation ever before?
I hope the trend continues and we see a huge improvement in PLAYER DEVELOPMENT in Spring Practice and also see a very effective PORTAL MINING for some OL / DT / LB / WR before Summer practice begins ... and then to see it carried over to the field in execution and W's. Excited .. renewed season tickets instead of burning my old UM polo shirts!!

It’s been done a few times, but I honestly don’t think what Nickie did in Tuscaloosa is as impressive as what’s going on at Miami right now. Even with the overhaul playing out in front of the College Football world, what’s been more impressive to me is the fact that Mario’s talent acquisitions are top notch even with a complete overhaul taking place.

That’s fckn impressive ladies and gentlemen.
I actually don't think Alabama is a comp as they always had the resources and priorities. Miami didn't, we just thought we could live off the past. Maybe what Oklahoma State did with Pickens' donation is similar? But it lacked Miami's tradition and still has not become a title contender. Maybe what USC just did with Riley? But the details aren't public and we don't know how that will work out. Maybe, ironically, the best immediate comp is what Oregon did with Nike and Cristobal?

What stands out to me is that we really owe Richt/Diaz/Cristobal, no matter what happens next. Richt came back, forced us to focus on facilities and resources, lead with his own wallet, then left without demanding buy out money. Diaz finally proved that we couldn't live on being cheap and selling the ghost of The U, plus his actions/inactions triggered local and national commentary, forcing the administration to pay attention. Cristobal, whether successful or not, made Miami actually commit to big boy football and finally seemed to develop boosters who cared and who were willing to write checks.

Like it or not, we needed those three pieces, in that order, to get to where we are now.

They quickly tanked because they got put on massive sanctions for buying players from coast to coast that were the reason for his turnaround. That's why he left when he did.
Well, Reggie Bush was an issue. I don’t know about ‘buying players from coast to coast’. Even so, who cares? So does Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, UGA, and now TA$M.

Advertisement
Back