Is this game a referendum on Art Kehoe?....

k9cane

Senior
Bottom line, this game will be upfront, right?

A lot of people weren't happy that Kehoe was re-hired by Golden a few years ago for a myriad of reasons.

Well, the way I look at it, UM has NFL quality guys on the Oline, Florida has a lot of talent on the opposite side of the ball.

UM needs to consistently win battles in the trenches or it won't matter if they Duke Johnson or anyone else at the skill positions.

The unit coached by Arthur Francis Kehoe needs to come up big.

Advertisement
Apparently our OL sucked last game and yet we had 500 yards of total offense and 300 on the ground. Doesn't make sense to me.

That and we were 2 dropped TD's away from a blowout in the 1st quarter.

Personally I would be surprised if our unit didn't hold their own this game. I like our OL.

Play mean. They'll be ready for it this game. It's UF. FAU was a warmup.

Stoutland was picked up by Saban and has a ring with Bama and is now in the NFL and our O-lines sucked *** under him. Kehoe produced excellent O-lines during his time at Miami and there's a reason brought him back on with the Miami program. Not worried at all with Kehoe as the O-line coach at Miami.

I think the constant change is hurting production. Pick your 2 best tackles, 2 best guards, and center and go. Use your back-up to rest starters. Just becasue a kid can play tackle and guard doesn't mean he should. Where is he better at--play him there, unless soneoen esle is better than him at that position. We seem to have 4 good tackles but only one guard. That is how Art also did it--we seldom had so many good tackles. He said that Al wanted to it the way they are doing it. Art is good soldier and happy to be back. He is not going to betray Al--not like someone we know. I'd go Flowers-Linder-Shane-"best guard we have"-Henderson.

I know no sane person who was unhappy with Art being rehired. He got can with other Cane coaches by Larry to save his own rear for another year. They were starting to break silence about how much he sucked. Vernon Hargreaves and Don Soldinger were among them. You get to see the continued cost of Coker on saturday--his son is freshmen coner for the swamp scum(like we ever had a shot at him after dad got fired). Soldinger was to running backs as Art is to Oline.

Art is doing well with the players. Only Henderson was a huge high rank recruit coming in. Individually they had all progressed and improved. The unit is the problem. The constant change and movement in the oline is one area I disagree with Al, but it is his rep and future on the line. Let's not throw Art under the bus again for another HC. The only real complaint in the day about Art--he was a little lazy in recruiting. Al certainly put an end to that. Saban is paying Mario 1/2 million for his "recruiting" skills. Art has **** of class coming in for 2014 for a lot less $$. One thing is certain, Al can't fire Art while his buddy's defense continues to leak like Mississippi flood.

Thirty years a Hurricane and the guy is still a lightning rod. Some love him- 5 rings, etc; while others seem to loathe the guy- lazy recruiter, there's a reason why he hasn't gone anywhere else, etc... The truth is probably somewhere in between. Referendum? I guess. My expectation is that the OL leads the way in this game.

Advertisement
Apparently our OL sucked last game and yet we had 500 yards of total offense and 300 on the ground. Doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I would be surprised if our unit didn't hold their own this game. I like our OL.

Seems like, according to the internets, that our OL sucked last week despite all those yards and despite the fact that we could have named the score if we didn't empty the bench and take the air out of the ball in the third quarter.

Kehoe will have his charges breathing fire this Saturday. There will be a lot more that determines whether we win or lose aside from Kehoe.

No, I don't think so. When it comes down to it, Florida is just more talented on their DL then we are on the OL. We are going to struggle mightily trying to move the ball and that won't be Kehoe's fault. We are going to need some breaks to have a chance to win this game, plain and simple.

This is not an attack on the poster, though your post immediately brought me back to the Coker/Shannon days. People would critique various aspects of the team's performance, but would immediately get drowned out by fans with blinders on: "We won the game ... that's all that matters ... why are people *****ing ... fans are idiots ... etc...."

If you didn't see any issues with the way our OL performed against lowly FAU then I don't think you were looking very closely at the game.

Notwithstanding supposedly very high talent on our OL, we appear to have the same **** problem we had last year - an inability to get tough yards on 3rd downs, in the red zone, and especially on the goal line. Recall, we scored a lot of points last year, but very few of those TDs came as a result of pushing back the DL and jamming the ball in the end zone. We relied on the big play and misdirection, rather than manning up and beating the guy across the line, even against purportedly lesser teams. That type of offense will get exposed against top notch teams, just as it did last year.

i am hopeful that our short yardage problems last Saturday were the product of Kehoe shuffling guys around, and he does not pull that **** this week. But we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is not an attack on the poster, but your post immediately brought me back to the Coker/Shannon days. Posters would make critiques about various aspects of the team's performance, but would immediately get drowned out by fans with blinders on: "We won the game ... that's all that matters ... why are people ****ing ... fans are idiots ... etc...."

If you didn't see any issues with the way our OL performed against lowly FAU then I don't think you were looking very closely at the game.

Notwithstanding supposedly very high talent on our OL, we appear to have the same **** problem we had last year - an inability to get tough yards on 3rd downs, in the red zone, and especially on the goal line. Recall, that we scored a lot of points last year, but very few of those TDs came as a result of pushing back the DL and jamming the ball in the end zone. We relied on the big play and misdirection, rather than manning up and beating the guy across the line, even against purportedly lesser teams. That type of offense will get exposed against top notch teams, just as it did last year.

i am hopeful that our short yardage problems last Saturday were the product of Kehoe shuffling guys around, and he does not pull that **** this week. But we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think he responded with "we won the game, so shut up and be happy". I think he responded fairly by pointing out that we gained a ton of yards, busted off about 8 ypc and gave the QB plenty of time to throw. That's a valid counter to the "Our OL sucks" rhetoric being tossed around after that fau game. When discussing the OL, it's fair to point out the yards our offense gained, including yards per carry, and the fact that we could have scored at will in that game if we left our starters in and kept pressing the issue.

This staff has yet to play a bowl game. So yes, this is the ultimate test.

I think the constant change is hurting production. Pick your 2 best tackles, 2 best guards, and center and go. Use your back-up to rest starters. Just becasue a kid can play tackle and guard doesn't mean he should. Where is he better at--play him there, unless soneoen esle is better than him at that position. We seem to have 4 good tackles but only one guard. That is how Art also did it--we seldom had so many good tackles. He said that Al wanted to it the way they are doing it. Art is good soldier and happy to be back. He is not going to betray Al--not like someone we know. I'd go Flowers-Linder-Shane-"best guard we have"-Henderson.

I know no sane person who was unhappy with Art being rehired. He got can with other Cane coaches by Larry to save his own rear for another year. They were starting to break silence about how much he sucked. Vernon Hargreaves and Don Soldinger were among them. You get to see the continued cost of Coker on saturday--his son is freshmen coner for the swamp scum(like we ever had a shot at him after dad got fired). Soldinger was to running backs as Art is to Oline.

Art is doing well with the players. Only Henderson was a huge high rank recruit coming in. Individually they had all progressed and improved. The unit is the problem. The constant change and movement in the oline is one area I disagree with Al, but it is his rep and future on the line. Let's not throw Art under the bus again for another HC. The only real complaint in the day about Art--he was a little lazy in recruiting. Al certainly put an end to that. Saban is paying Mario 1/2 million for his "recruiting" skills. Art has **** of class coming in for 2014 for a lot less $$. One thing is certain, Al can't fire Art while his buddy's defense continues to leak like Mississippi flood.

Regarding the comment in bold, I could not disagree more. Many of us were disappointed at bringing back Kehoe. The guy is a quote machine and he loves UM, but I just don't have faith in him, bc there were just too many years with him in charge that our OL underperformed. and here's another thought, if it was so crazy for us to be opposed to bringing him back then what does it tell you that no one else was knocking on his door. The market speaks volumes, and the fact that Coker, Shannon, and Coker were not in demand tells you all you need to know about their coaching value.

All that said, I hope for nothing more than him to prove me wrong. And to his credit, he appears to be a recruiting machine now, which is fantastic.

Bottom line, this game will be upfront, right?

A lot of people weren't happy that Kehoe was re-hired by Golden a few years ago for a myriad of reasons.

Well, the way I look at it, UM has NFL quality guys on the Oline, Florida has a lot of talent on the opposite side of the ball.

UM needs to consistently win battles in the trenches or it won't matter if they Duke Johnson or anyone else at the skill positions.

The unit coached by Arthur Francis Kehoe needs to come up big.

The reality is the offensive line play was not the problem in 2003. As a matter of fact it was above average. Berlin was just not comfortable behind center. Losing Frank Gore also had a lot to do with it. The 2004 offensive line play was good. Miami only gave up 25 sacks and 4 of those were against Georgia Tech when Kyle Wright played late and look ABSOLUTELY lost. Wright had the same problem in 2005 and I'd say 1/3 of of those sacks were definitely on him. Miami did not have an explosive option at tailback. Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones were pedestrian at best.

Miami wants to zone block. To do so all 5 lineman have to not only hold their blocks but get to the right guy. A great block against the wrong guy doesn't matter. An average block against the right guy can lead to a nice pick up. You need all 5 guys in synch.

Coley has to call a good game and take what Florida is giving and not to try to force what they're trying to take away.

Advertisement
This is a huge test. You don't test your strength against cream puffs; you test it against a legitimate challenge where it's possible to fail.

Kehoe is a mixed bag. He's had good lines and crappy ones. I'm not a big Kehoe fan, but it has more to do with the players than it does Kehoe, IMO. That applies to the successes as well as the failures. We got Bryant McKinney and Tyler McTurnstyle from the same juco. Two monsters with opposite results, both coached by Kehoe. I don't think Kehoe coached one to be great and the other to flop. It's more about the players than who is coaching them.

Kehoe will be like the previous coach of District 5, he will yell and motivate like Adolf.

Not worried about him and being ready.

Advertisement

This is not an attack on the poster, but your post immediately brought me back to the Coker/Shannon days. Posters would make critiques about various aspects of the team's performance, but would immediately get drowned out by fans with blinders on: "We won the game ... that's all that matters ... why are people ****ing ... fans are idiots ... etc...."

Notwithstanding supposedly very high talent on our OL, we appear to have the same **** problem we had last year - an inability to get tough yards on 3rd downs, in the red zone, and especially on the goal line. Recall, that we scored a lot of points last year, but very few of those TDs came as a result of pushing back the DL and jamming the ball in the end zone. We relied on the big play and misdirection, rather than manning up and beating the guy across the line, even against purportedly lesser teams. That type of offense will get exposed against top notch teams, just as it did last year.

I don't think he responded with "we won the game, so shut up and be happy". I think he responded fairly by pointing out that we gained a ton of yards, busted off about 8 ypc and gave the QB plenty of time to throw. That's a valid counter to the "Our OL sucks" rhetoric being tossed around after that fau game. When discussing the OL, it's fair to point out the yards our offense gained, including yards per carry, and the fact that we could have scored at will in that game if we left our starters in and kept pressing the issue.

My point is that his post reminded me of those statements from the past, though certainly not to the same degree as "shut up and be happy." As Al would say "again", I hope I'm wrong and the short yardage deficiencies were simply a function of testing different combinations against a crappy opponent. But given that this has been a systemic problem for a while, I am not terribly optimistic.

if we are forced by ineptitude into pitch-outs and misdirection on 3rd and short against UF, it could be a long day.

[video=youtube;e6oxN4Hq_0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6oxN4Hq_0M[/video]

Jump to about 1:03 in and watch until about 2:00

...Interdasting.

Stoutland was picked up by Saban and has a ring with Bama and is now in the NFL and our O-lines sucked *** under him. Kehoe produced excellent O-lines during his time at Miami and there's a reason brought him back on with the Miami program. Not worried at all with Kehoe as the O-line coach at Miami.

Our OL didn't suck under Stoutland at all. They finished as one of the top rushing offenses in school history.

People were screaming for Stoutland's head for the same reason they're screaming for Kehoe's today.

Advertisement
Back