Is The Lack of Motion Killing Our Offense?

Advertisement
Interesting. I'm beginning to understand another post by Roman on keybusters, what are, I believe, the same thing as keybreakers.

The old Redskin running attack of the mid-80's with John Riggins was the basis for Dennis Erickson's running attack. One of Dennis' offensive assistants, said in an Herald interview that they watched tons of Redskins film in designing that Washington State offense. They had a phenomenal passing attack with Timm Rosenbach. Dennis had TWO 1000 yard rushers on the same team at WSU the year before he came to Miami.

I know that the counter-trey was the core of the Redskin running attack. I don't know if that is based on misdirection, but I'm wondering if that is the same thing Roman is talking about when he talks about keybusters. In other words, you can no longer read the guards to find out where the play is going. Roman is suggesting I think this concept is missing from our offense now.

Without it, I guess the offense is way too predictable. Without motion, it becomes an even more simple-minded offense.

I'd like to know what is on Richt's cheat sheet that he carries around all game. If he's doing the same thing for 30 years,vwhy dies he even need it?
Nice comment. The "counter tre" is based on misdirection to trap the D-line with their eyes as the O-lineman gain premium leverage angles. It is an O-line blocking scheme only. In a similar manner, the "jet motion" challenges the defender to think and maintain eye discipline which slows the defender down or causes the defender to shift into a favorable position for the offense per the "Clemson Jet Motion" video. The jet motion provides advantages in the passing game that the counter tre doesn't.

Yes.

But, unfortunately it seems to be the lack of motion from the gray matter of Wrecked.

After watching Purdue serve up a beatdown on Ohio State, it was clearly evident how much motion in an offense affects the defense. Purdue was able to use their speedy slot wide receiver freshman Rondale Moore (who ironically wears #4) in motion to not only gain an advantage in the the passing game, but the running game as well. Moore ran jet sweeps, crossing and rub routes for nearly 200 yards of offense.

As commented by ESPN's Kurt Herbstreit, the motion of the slot receiver changes the eye level for the line backers and safeties allowing Purdue's RB DJ Knox to gash OSU for huge gains and two house calls from 40+.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why coach Richt doesn't utilize motion in his offense. It's a rule that gives the offense an advantage over the defense and our coach doesn't take advantage of it.

Another team that uses motion heavily in their offense is Clemson. Similarly to Purdue, Clemson uses motion to change eye level creating huge holes in their read option running game. In the passing game, motion allows their WRs to get behind the safeties for deep gains because, for a split second, the safeties are staring in the backfield at the slot receiver wondering if he's going to run a jet sweep while the WRs blow by on go and post routes. Anyone remember Clemson's touchdowns in the ACC Championship game last year?

I am 100% convinced that the lack of motion in the Canes offense is killing us or at least hurting us. IMO, motion in the offense would open holes for our RBs, help out our offensive line, and creates even bigger holes in the secondary for our WRs.

Your thoughts?

I’ve said this multiple times, it makes no sense to run a no huddle offense and not use motion to 1. Get a better idea of defensive coverage and 2. Make the lbs change focus and open up our inside run game.

It makes even less sense because Richt so clearly loves running inside zone, this simple change would probably make a difference in 1-2 yards per carry which over a whole game is massive
Plus there are 20+ yard runs to be had for house call TDs per Purdue last night and Clemson all season. It takes just one LB to be out of position and the safety shifted with the motion pre-snap.

Check this out fam:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/194

Don't be short sighted. This team would have another LSU bludgeon if they played Ohio State

It was one of those any given Saturday type of loses. Just one of those games that everything went right for the Foilermakers and everything went wrong for the Cuckeyes. However, even though Urb is a total scumbag, he will go down as a legendary coach.
Keep capping for that sorry *** team, I’ve watched Ohio state in most of their big games and they should have lost to tcu and penn state really but it didn’t happen because they made too many mistakes in the game. Osu finally got exposed yesterday and their defense has been horrible all year even with nick bosa playing

Advertisement
We scored 13 points against a juggernaut va team. How many will we score against a star studded Ohio team? Purdue has an offense that we dream of, so don’t give me a rebuttal that Purdue beat them we can , too... ahh NO, our defense will be gassed by the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Get a QUALIFIED OC, then we can talk. We have the horses, but no stablemate to care for them.
@MiamiHotline I agree with you.

Anything can happen with a top defense

We have been beating this horse to death for 2 years now. We desperately need motion in this offense. We could use Harley or Thomas on jet sweeps, fake those to open up some run lanes in the middle. We could fake those and pass out of those sets, or we could give it to our explosive receivers.

Secondly motion allows for the QB to pre-determine man vs zone pre-snap which would be useful for our QB's that are struggling to read defenses.

That's one of the reasons... who nth funk is in the booth? Whoever it is is trash. Nothing dynamic about Miami's offense... you don't see then taking advantage of match UPS hardly ever..so many things I don't even wanna ***** talk about it.

So we shouldn’t do something that could create positive mismatches for the offense, help identify what coverage the defense is in and in turn help the offense execute?
This is the second time you've quoted me. In neither instance did I post anything that says "never use motion". I just pointed out the very real fact that shifts and motion are not some magic potion to make a bad offense good. You can do the friggin Charleston when you break the huddle for all I care. If you don't block anybody, it won't matter.

Advertisement
Keep capping for that sorry *** team, I’ve watched Ohio state in most of their big games and they should have lost to tcu and penn state really but it didn’t happen because they made too many mistakes in the game. Osu finally got exposed yesterday and their defense has been horrible all year even with nick bosa playing
Blah blah blah. Even with Ohio State's short comings, they would come out with a W over the Canes.

Anyone catch the Chiefs last night. Crazy the Mount and motion and misdirection they use. Even the cameraman doesn't know who has the ball half the time. Defenders just sit there frozen. I would take Andy Reid's coffee boy to run our offense over the crap we have now.

Advertisement
We now have the Mark D'ont know enough frio of offense.

Anyone catch the Chiefs last night. Crazy the Mount and motion and misdirection they use. Even the cameraman doesn't know who has the ball half the time. Defenders just sit there frozen. I would take Andy Reid's coffee boy to run our offense over the crap we have now.

Advertisement
Back