Is The Lack of Motion Killing Our Offense?

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
After watching Purdue serve up a beatdown on Ohio State, it was clearly evident how much motion in an offense affects the defense. Purdue was able to use their speedy slot wide receiver freshman Rondale Moore (who ironically wears #4) in motion to not only gain an advantage in the the passing game, but the running game as well. Moore ran jet sweeps, crossing and rub routes for nearly 200 yards of offense.

As commented by ESPN's Kurt Herbstreit, the motion of the slot receiver changes the eye level for the line backers and safeties allowing Purdue's RB DJ Knox to gash OSU for huge gains and two house calls from 40+.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why coach Richt doesn't utilize motion in his offense. It's a rule that gives the offense an advantage over the defense and our coach doesn't take advantage of it.

Another team that uses motion heavily in their offense is Clemson. Similarly to Purdue, Clemson uses motion to change eye level creating huge holes in their read option running game. In the passing game, motion allows their WRs to get behind the safeties for deep gains because, for a split second, the safeties are staring in the backfield at the slot receiver wondering if he's going to run a jet sweep while the WRs blow by on go and post routes. Anyone remember Clemson's touchdowns in the ACC Championship game last year?

I am 100% convinced that the lack of motion in the Canes offense is killing us or at least hurting us. IMO, motion in the offense would open holes for our RBs, help out our offensive line, and creates even bigger holes in the secondary for our WRs.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The issue is bigger than our not using motion, but I agree it would be a step in the right direction. The overall offensive system needs to be re-thought in addition to the in-game adjustments, the play calling philosophy, and how we utilize the talent that we have.

After watching Purdue serve up a beatdown on Ohio State, it was clearly evident how much motion in an offense affects the defense. Purdue was able to use their speedy slot wide receiver freshman Rondel Moore (who ironically wears #4) in motion to not only gain an advantage in the the passing game, but the running game as well. Moore ran jet sweeps, crossing and rub routes for nearly 200 yards of offense.

As commented by ESPN's Kurt Herbstreit, the motion of the slot receiver changes the eye level for the line backers and safeties allowing Purdue's RB DJ Knox to gash OSU for huge gains and two house calls from 40+.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why coach Richt doesn't utilize motion in his offense. It's a rule that gives the offense an advantage over the defense and our coach doesn't take advantage of it.

Another team that uses motion heavily in their offense is Clemson. Similarly to Purdue, Clemson uses motion to change eye level creating huge holes in their read option running game. In the passing game, motion allows their WRs to get behind the safeties for deep gains because, for a split second, the safeties are staring in the backfield at the slot receiver wondering if he's going to run a jet sweep while the WRs blow by on go routes. Anyone remember Clemson's touchdowns in the ACC Championship game last year?

I am 100% convinced that the lack of motion in the Canes offense is killing us. IMO, motion in the offense would open holes for our RBs, help out our offensive line, and creates even bigger holes in the secondary for our WRs.

Your thoughts?
Very good post ... another important reason for motion is it helps the QB identify coverage... that would help a young guy like Perry.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Very good post ... another important reason for motion is it helps the QB identify coverage... that would help a young guy like Perry.

giphy.gif
When I watched the Clemson Jet Motion video, I got angry. I said to myself, "Why don't we run some of these concepts?" Our offense would explode!!!!

Last edited:
the key is an accurate QB who can read the defense and has been properly coached and a playcaller who can see the
weaknesses in the defense and can create mismatches to get the ball to a playmaker in space !

it's frustrating to watch other teams who seem to get this and have no trouble doing this.

Advertisement
The OL and QB development horror shows are killing the offense.

The pop warner P is adding insult to injury.

After watching Purdue serve up a beatdown on Ohio State, it was clearly evident how much motion in an offense affects the defense. Purdue was able to use their speedy slot wide receiver freshman Rondale Moore (who ironically wears #4) in motion to not only gain an advantage in the the passing game, but the running game as well. Moore ran jet sweeps, crossing and rub routes for nearly 200 yards of offense.

Another team that uses motion heavily in their offense is Clemson. Similarly to Purdue, Clemson uses motion to change eye level creating huge holes in their read option running game. In the passing game, motion allows their WRs to get behind the safeties for deep gains because, for a split second, the safeties are staring in the backfield at the slot receiver wondering if he's going to run a jet sweep while the WRs blow by on go and post routes. Anyone remember Clemson's touchdowns in the ACC Championship game last year?

I am 100% convinced that the lack of motion in the Canes offense is killing us or at least hurting us. IMO, motion in the offense would open holes for our RBs, help out our offensive line, and creates even bigger holes in the secondary for our WRs.

Your thoughts?

The biggest advantage by motioning a player it lets the offenses know if the defense is in MAN vs ZONE

Last edited:
Advertisement
The biggest advantage motioning gives the offenses letting know if the defense is in MAN vs ZONE
And giving them something else to account for, they can’t just leave a man unaccounted or they will get burned on a play so it gives them extra responsibilities to defend rather then having no misdirection and going straight at them like we do allowing them just to key in

Advertisement
I’m picturing Richt sitting in his office with Jon (with his stupid backwards hat) drawing on a white board trying to incorporate motion only to run 4 verts again and again from it.

A debate is useless because using motion is a proven "FACT". So is Trips tight and wide. Counter Tre, TE Traps, Short motion and fast paced empty sets that are and have been used in all levels of football for many years and now! But not Corch Mork! He is stymieing the progress he made with the program. Sadly we'll have to crash and burn again Golden style before the passive administration makes a move.

Advertisement
Back