Is the 2017 team overrated?

Is the 2017 Miami team overrated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
I think the answer is as obvious as “is water wet?”

They’d be 7 point underdogs to the 2005 Canes.

Absolutely—Miami overachieved it's way to 10-0 with a quarterback who had more heart than talent.

Needed a miracle to survive against a garbage Florida State team.

Needed another miracle on 4th-and-10 to get past a bad Georgia Tech team.

Needed a late score to put away an average Syracuse team.

Needed a late turnover to survive against a then 1-7 North Carolina team.

Anything less than that and Miami doesn't get back-to-back primetime showdowns for Virginia Tech and Notre Dame (as well as GameDay on campus.)

No way the Canes beat the Irish if not undefeated and that's a 3:30pm kickoff.

Stage proved too big when they couldn't close UM's first undefeated regular season since 2002, against a four-win Pitt team.

Embarrassed by Clemson in the ACC title game.

Out-worked and out-muscled by Wisconsin, blowing an early 14-3 lead in a 34-24 loss.

2017 Miami could've EASILY have been a 7-6 team without a few lucky breaks that kept momentum rolling. Once this team got tagged in the mouth, it folded like a cheap suit.

Absolutely—Miami overachieved it's way to 10-0 with a quarterback who had more heart than talent.

Needed a miracle to survive against a garbage Florida State team.

Needed another miracle on 4th-and-10 to get past a bad Georgia Tech team.

Needed a late score to put away an average Syracuse team.

Needed a late turnover to survive against a then 1-7 North Carolina team.

Anything less than that and Miami doesn't get back-to-back primetime showdowns for Virginia Tech and Notre Dame (as well as GameDay on campus.)

No way the Canes beat the Irish if not undefeated and that's a 3:30pm kickoff.

Stage proved too big when they couldn't close UM's first undefeated regular season since 2002, against a four-win Pitt team.

Embarrassed by Clemson in the ACC title game.

Out-worked and out-muscled by Wisconsin, blowing an early 14-3 lead in a 34-24 loss.

2017 Miami could've EASILY have been a 7-6 team without a few lucky breaks that kept momentum rolling. Once this team got tagged in the mouth, it folded like a cheap suit.

I think all these are very valid points. I wouldn't disagree with the argument that the 2017 team was overrated.

But the final drive comeback wins vs FSU & GT, or really close Syracuse & UNC games - although those weren't great teams, at least we pulled out wins in those games, which is what good teams do. Those 4 games followed by the VT & ND blowouts made this a really exciting team, even if they got exposed at the end of the season.

I'd say the 2017 & 2009 teams were the only seasons that were more fun than frustrating to watch in the last 15 years.

They were a talented team with Herndon Walton homer ar82 berrios deejay on offense.

Rosier got exposed at the end of the season without ar82, Herndon and Walton all getting hurt.

Losing Richards & Herndon hurt us for sure.

Walton getting hurt actually helped us because it forced Richt to play Homer. We probably don't beat FSU or GT if Walton doesn't get hurt.

I think all these are very valid points. I wouldn't disagree with the argument that the 2017 team was overrated.

But the final drive comeback wins vs FSU & GT, or really close Syracuse & UNC games - although those weren't great teams, at least we pulled out wins in those games, which is what good teams do. Those 4 games followed by the VT & ND blowouts made this a really exciting team, even if they got exposed at the end of the season.

I'd say the 2017 & 2009 teams were the only seasons that were more fun than frustrating to watch in the last 15 years.

I don’t think that really good teams play close games with any of those teams, except for possibly FSU. (Who was better than their record stated.)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back