Is Terrible QB Performance to Blame For Lost National Titles

Advertisement
I could buy that for Vinny and 86 Fiesta, but not Ken Dorsey in 02. A lot of things went wrong in that loss

We lost two because of improper lousy officals making bogus calls then apologizing for them the next morning..That was the call against Cleveland Gary at South Bend which robbed us of playing West Va in the Orange Bowl...The Ohio State phantom pass interference call...Penn State wore jerseys that Vinnie couldn't pick out because he was and still is color blind..

Advertisement
They left out the 86 Sugar against TN which would have been NC had Miami won. Johnie Rogers out coached our beloved JJ and Vinny was again the victim. Joe Pa stole TN game films(Rogers refused to give them up) and used the same defense the next year with same result. By the way, it is very similar to Al's defense-- rush little and drop 8 deep waiting for other team to make mistake. Still would anyone anywhere NOT want Vinny under center?

Gino certainly had bad game against Bama but that was one heck of a defense. Can't see blaming Ken. That game was lost more because our defense could not stop a QB from running up the gut, time after time(Something that remained a problem ever since), and probably the greatest ever player getting stripped of a pick six. Of course OSU still needed a bought and paid for ref to win. In any event give me QBs who go one for two in NC games any day.

In summary, if you look closely, it was coaching that cost us 3NCs and maybe 4 if you include JJ'a decision to kick to Rocket in South Bend(Yeah they still had to cheat). I love JJ but he should have won 4 in a row with that talent and back to back to back great QBs. But JJ was still learning and got better and better. We do not need the best coach, just a good one to win NC every couple years. THAT is the measure of how bad Al is. Had he improved each year, he would have at least made the playoffs last year and would win NC with Kaaya this year. But since he was perfect when he got here, there can be no improvement.

Stats WITH CONTEXT are important. If you look at pure stats, then yes, it looks like the QBs are to blame. However, if you watched the games, it wasn't that simple.

In the Sugar Bowl after the '92 season, main problem that day was the OL. We could not run the football and guys were teeing off on Gino. Gino wasn't great, but it was the OL that caused his mistakes.

Same can be said for the Fiesta Bowl after the '02 season. Biggest strength for the Canes all season was running the football, and we could not do it at all in the first half. Then, just as it got going in the 3rd Q, McGahee got hurt, and that was that. Ohio St, like Bama, got a lot of pass rush on our QB and forced some Dorsey miscues (Dorsey was the best of the 3 QBs in these title games).

The most legit argument for "QB played poorly" was Testaverde in the Fiesta Bowl. There was little pressure on him, he just forced bad throws. Even still, a lot of blame could be shifted to the coaches, who should have run the football more often. Not a great gameplan.

I remember jay barker played a bad game, didnt remember it being that bad... But that was a bad night... We wasn't beating Bama that night, another night yes.... That Penn state game.... We should of won 24-14 if Vinny would of only threw 3 picks.... Dorsey? Only got ****ed when he missed that wide open pass to Winston that would had tied it... But I remmeber a play or 2 before he got ****ed up on his throwing shoulder.... Not his fault

Love Jimmy, but his Fiesta Bowl loss to Penn State is on his shoulders, not Testaverde.

Advertisement
Vinny was a master at choking away title games. That mess against UT the year before the PSU fiasco should have been a warning to everyone. Spent a FORTUNE on that UT game. Vinny is probably my least favorite Cane and will remain so.

in theory yes, but..

86- coaches didnt go away from pass game when highsmith was rolling
02- we got dominated at the line of scrimmage, and when we woke up Willis took the shot, and we ultimately got phucked

Advertisement
Jimmy lost the PSU game - as others have said Zo was killing people
93 Team could have easily lost 4 games and I was at the Sugar Bowl - the best team (and D) wont that game - not even close
2002 Not Kenny - Coker and no real back up RB

I definitely remember Franco Acosta costing us games, when we had the best defense in the country!

Sean Taylor should of kneeled it in the end zone instead of taking it out. That hurt us bad.

blasphemy-o-s.jpg

Advertisement
I definitely remember Franco Acosta costing us games, when we had the best defense in the country!

Most people miss this one. If Costa hits a wide open Wr late in the game Miami wins.

92 Miami team was way over confident and Bama smacked them

Ken Dorsey sucked in the Fiesta bowl. His weak arm and no mobility caught up with him that night.

Everyone still think JJ was the greatest of all time with the Penn St game?

Goal line fumble in ND endzone is a joke. Have a hard time watching that play.

If Kaaya hits his third down passes we win 11 games this year.

Advertisement
Back