X's and O's Is Parity Making a Comeback to CFB?

Advertisement
I have been contemplating this too.

But I would suggest its not returning; it never left. Apart from 3-4 teams each year, the remainder can go down any given Saturday.

I think we all expected NIL would create more disparity. It may. But we won't see that until a couple recruiting cycles IMO.
great minds think alike grasshopper.

I am not sure we can have this conversation without talking about preseason rankings--even early season rankings. After two games, this is the preseason rankings with all of the highlighted having lost at least one game.

View attachment 207705

Many of these teams are going to have 8-4 seasons or worse--Notre Dame, TAMU, Oregon-- to name a few. I think you could justify Baylor and Utah being in the top 25 but the rest should have been 20 or more.
  • Notre Dame's loss, out of all the losses, is the most forgivable because of the new coaching staff installed there. I just never really expect to see great things materialize in a HC first year. If it happens, Surprise! If not, okay too.
  • What the **** is Jimbo's excuse? He's been there long enough to produce and he ain't producing. App state was not surprising--I knew it would be competitive. If CMC does his job this weekend, Jimbo will really start feeling the heat.
  • Nebraska doesn't have an excuse--Frost has been a **** coach and it was only a matter of time. Five years and what, an average of 5-7 seasons or something like that? Losing to Georgia Southern was not surprising to be honest.
There should not be a preseason ranking but there always will be because there is money to be made from it. At the least they should not allow a school that has a new head coach ranked top 25 for the first 4 weeks. That would eliminate the over rankings of Notre Dame and Oregon. Those were not shocking results to anyone dialed in to this sport.

I'm glad to see these smaller conference pulling up on these dudes and getting them with the gat. Dudes running P5 programs getting lazy and overpaid. We saw a lot of smaller programs not giving two ***** who they played and it benefits this sport greatly to have that attitude. I'll tell you what, nobody around here is really saying it but I will; I'm glad we don't have any sunbelt schools on our schedule this year. I would be more worried about playing an App State this weekend than I would a TAMU.
Say The Irish are going to have a losing season.

Talk dirty to us.

Seems so. Would be good topic to revisit at mid-season, end of season.

Now, just reduce scholarships to 75 and max roster size. Spread the talent out and make coaches win by coaching and development rather than out-recruiting everyone, properly or improperly.
You have to set limits on overall players too. Otherwise certain schools will just give out enhanced NIL to players 76-85 (or more) to cover tuition so they can be “non scholarship” players.

You have to set limits on overall players too. Otherwise certain schools will just give out enhanced NIL to players 76-85 (or more) to cover tuition so they can be “non scholarship” players.
That's what I meant by max roster size. But didn't explain as well as you. Thanks.

Advertisement
That ND loss is not forgivable. You lost at home to Marshall when they were 20 plus point favorites. A week after sticking with Osu who will likely be in the playoffs for most of the game. The ND offense is atrocious.
I disagree. Here is why.

Had Mario dropped the Southern Miss game I think most people here would be upset that our program had gotten so trashed over the years that it came down to this, but ultimately would give him the pass that he absolutely should be afforded. Afterall, he wasn't here when the last few administrators gutted our program of money and then gluttoned it with inexperienced leadership.

On Saturday, Notre Dame was playing their Southern Miss with their new coach. Should Marcus Freeman not get a pass? Why not? He lost a game to Ohio State, a notoriously difficult venue to play, and a team who many pundits believe will occupy one of the four spots in the CFP by seasons' end. So let me get this one straight, new coach is supposed to find instant success implementing his style of football in under 8 months using only the recruits and players he was gifted and that stayed with him after Kelly's exit plus the very few that he recruited in 2021 that became eligible to play in 2022. Compared to other coaches, he's not even being paid for that level of success if you look at the salary breakdown of the P5.

Say what you will. Notre Dame has a tougher schedule than we do and Freeman is being asked to put together an 9-3 or better season with so fewer pieces. We have dudes and a better and higher paid coach and we'd still go 7-5/8-4 with the Irish's schedule. I think Freeman deserves time to put something together. Even if they go 1-11, replacing Kelly's system that resulted in an 11-2 season is a tough act to follow. I will stop short of wishing the Irish luck but I do hope Freeman experiences personal success as a coach.

I'm glad to see these smaller conference pulling up on these dudes and getting them with the gat. Dudes running P5 programs getting lazy and overpaid. We saw a lot of smaller programs not giving two ***** who they played and it benefits this sport greatly to have that attitude. I'll tell you what, nobody around here is really saying it but I will; I'm glad we don't have any sunbelt schools on our schedule this year. I would be more worried about playing an App State this weekend than I would a TAMU.
It's late and I've had a long day, so apologies... but this is a joke, right?

They said something interesting on gameday last week where something like the last 8 national champions have come from the top 6 of the first week rankings

Advertisement
That ND loss is not forgivable. You lost at home to Marshall when they were 20 plus point favorites. A week after sticking with Osu who will likely be in the playoffs for most of the game. The ND offense is atrocious.
I liken this and the other upsets to Lennox Lewis' career. He lost a couple of times to massive underdogs because he massively overlooked them.

Meanwhile for the underdog it was the biggest fight of their life.

It happens when your HC doesn't keep you focused.

It's late and I've had a long day, so apologies... but this is a joke, right?
If you are alluding to my mistake that we didn't just win against SoMiss--a Sunbelt team--this was address earlier.

If you are alluding to the actual point of not wanting to play one of these non-P5 teams; two things:
  • No, not the way they have been playing up to teams.
  • We'd ideally want one cupcake in game one, and then national recognized and poll-respected P5 teams. As much as we needed SoMiss to retool, it doesn't do much as far as the national conversation surrounding relevancy.
If this weekend NCAA said "Fvck the Canes" out loud instead of under their breath like they usually do and forced us to face Marshall or App State this weekend, I am not so sure I'd put money on us to win. Could be PTSD from years of suffering, or trust issues from being told were back then going 6-7.

I disagree. Here is why.

Had Mario dropped the Southern Miss game I think most people here would be upset that our program had gotten so trashed over the years that it came down to this, but ultimately would give him the pass that he absolutely should be afforded. Afterall, he wasn't here when the last few administrators gutted our program of money and then gluttoned it with inexperienced leadership.

On Saturday, Notre Dame was playing their Southern Miss with their new coach. Should Marcus Freeman not get a pass? Why not? He lost a game to Ohio State, a notoriously difficult venue to play, and a team who many pundits believe will occupy one of the four spots in the CFP by seasons' end. So let me get this one straight, new coach is supposed to find instant success implementing his style of football in under 8 months using only the recruits and players he was gifted and that stayed with him after Kelly's exit plus the very few that he recruited in 2021 that became eligible to play in 2022. Compared to other coaches, he's not even being paid for that level of success if you look at the salary breakdown of the P5.

Say what you will. Notre Dame has a tougher schedule than we do and Freeman is being asked to put together an 9-3 or better season with so fewer pieces. We have dudes and a better and higher paid coach and we'd still go 7-5/8-4 with the Irish's schedule. I think Freeman deserves time to put something together. Even if they go 1-11, replacing Kelly's system that resulted in an 11-2 season is a tough act to follow. I will stop short of wishing the Irish luck but I do hope Freeman experiences personal success as a coach.
if Mario lost to southern miss after only playing Bethune, thats unforgivable lol. luckily it wouldn't have happened and it didnt happen

if Mario lost to southern miss after only playing Bethune, thats unforgivable lol. luckily it wouldn't have happened and it didnt happen
Unforgivable means gassing up the Cessna. You putting that banner up after game 2?

****, no chill.

Advertisement
I disagree. Here is why.

wrong. Freeman is a terrible coach. you don't give the keys to a storied program to a person who has never been a head coach. but they wanted the DEI hire and they will pay for it dearly. Luke Fickel would not have lost to Marshall. ND deserves every embarrassment they get for trying to be cute. he will go down with the greats of willie taggart, Manny Diaz, Scott frost and tom herman.

wrong. Freeman is a terrible coach. you don't give the keys to a storied program to a person who has never been a head coach. but they wanted the DEI hire and they will pay for it dearly. Luke Fickel would not have lost to Marshall. ND deserves every embarrassment they get for trying to be cute. he will go down with the greats of willie taggart, Manny Diaz, Scott frost and tom herman.
Not wrong.

I am making an argument that a new coach should be afforded time to assemble his staff and players and put his own product on the field--regardless of whether there is disagreement over his hiring. Being a storied P5 program alone does not preclude you from suffering embarrassing losses while your coach is putting his program into motion in his second game of his first season.

You are arguing whether Freeman should or should not have been hired as a coach. Moot point. Notre Dame set that ship to sail and now it is a matter of how much time does he get and does he leave on his own, retire or get fired when it is time. I would argue that he has less time to show results than if the hire was a big named nationally well-know coach.

I'm not even disagreeing with you about whether he should have been hired. At the least Notre Dame should have spent more time at least pretending to look for experienced head coaches.

Advertisement
I thought the same thing this weekend.

Yes. CFB is absolutely top heavy with about 5-6 really good programs. Then about 10-15 good programs. Then many of the rest not all that far apart from each other.

I think with Mario and the staff, we've vaulted into that second tier probably towards the lower end. We'll need two top notch recruiting classes to challenge for the top 5 or so programs.

imo

Advertisement
Back