X's and O's Is Parity Making a Comeback to CFB?

Advertisement
I have been contemplating this too.

But I would suggest its not returning; it never left. Apart from 3-4 teams each year, the remainder can go down any given Saturday.

I think we all expected NIL would create more disparity. It may. But we won't see that until a couple recruiting cycles IMO.

Advertisement
Teams like southern miss will have P5 caliber kids who transferred in. Which is a good thing I think. Also spreading the quarterback talent around. Look at Hudson card. That kid is plenty good enough to be a starter. Texas has two starters on their team. Next year presumably card portals out and now some other team gets a good starter.

Too early in the season to tell. If there are going to be upsets it's usually early.
I also think the transfer portal does have an effect, which I feel is a good thing.
How great would it be to see not one team go undefeated (well maybe one. GO CANES)

I am not sure we can have this conversation without talking about preseason rankings--even early season rankings. After two games, this is the preseason rankings with all of the highlighted having lost at least one game.

1662987631228.png

Many of these teams are going to have 8-4 seasons or worse--Notre Dame, TAMU, Oregon-- to name a few. I think you could justify Baylor and Utah being in the top 25 but the rest should have been 20 or more.
  • Notre Dame's loss, out of all the losses, is the most forgivable because of the new coaching staff installed there. I just never really expect to see great things materialize in a HC first year. If it happens, Surprise! If not, okay too.
  • What the **** is Jimbo's excuse? He's been there long enough to produce and he ain't producing. App state was not surprising--I knew it would be competitive. If CMC does his job this weekend, Jimbo will really start feeling the heat.
  • Nebraska doesn't have an excuse--Frost has been a **** coach and it was only a matter of time. Five years and what, an average of 5-7 seasons or something like that? Losing to Georgia Southern was not surprising to be honest.
There should not be a preseason ranking but there always will be because there is money to be made from it. At the least they should not allow a school that has a new head coach ranked top 25 for the first 4 weeks. That would eliminate the over rankings of Notre Dame and Oregon. Those were not shocking results to anyone dialed in to this sport.

I'm glad to see these smaller conference pulling up on these dudes and getting them with the gat. Dudes running P5 programs getting lazy and overpaid. We saw a lot of smaller programs not giving two ***** who they played and it benefits this sport greatly to have that attitude. I'll tell you what, nobody around here is really saying it but I will; I'm glad we don't have any sunbelt schools on our schedule this year. I would be more worried about playing an App State this weekend than I would a TAMU.

Teams like southern miss will have P5 caliber kids who transferred in. Which is a good thing I think. Also spreading the quarterback talent around. Look at Hudson card. That kid is plenty good enough to be a starter. Texas has two starters on their team. Next year presumably card portals out and now some other team gets a good starter.
Totally agree.

Another thing worth taking a look at (haven't checked it yet): is the Covid year disproportionately benefitting mid tier teams? Top tier teams continue to lose their best players to the NFL. What happens to the talent level that can't make it to the league? They're staying an extra year to play, and they're not displacing NFL level talent. Instead, they're aging up, physically maturing (which is extra beneficial in a sport like football). The talent gap can be closed somewhat with physical maturation. If there is a covid impact, you'd assume it peaks this year and maybe next.

I'll probably take a look at this later this week, see if non blue blood teams are "aging up" compared to past years, and compared to top recruiting schools.

Advertisement
Totally agree.

Another thing worth taking a look at (haven't checked it yet): is the Covid year disproportionately benefitting mid tier teams? Top tier teams continue to lose their best players to the NFL. What happens to the talent level that can't make it to the league? They're staying an extra year to play, and they're not displacing NFL level talent. Instead, they're aging up, physically maturing (which is extra beneficial in a sport like football). The talent gap can be closed somewhat with physical maturation. If there is a covid impact, you'd assume it peaks this year and maybe next.

I'll probably take a look at this later this week, see if non blue blood teams are "aging up" compared to past years, and compared to top recruiting schools.
Those teams get old and stay old. BYU is a great example cause their teams are always old and mature cause of the mission trip. But the P5 teams the nfl guys jump and the ones who aren’t it stay (Ivey)

I am not sure we can have this conversation without talking about preseason rankings--even early season rankings. After two games, this is the preseason rankings with all of the highlighted having lost at least one game.

View attachment 207705

Many of these teams are going to have 8-4 seasons or worse--Notre Dame, TAMU, Oregon-- to name a few. I think you could justify Baylor and Utah being in the top 25 but the rest should have been 20 or more.
  • Notre Dame's loss, out of all the losses, is the most forgivable because of the new coaching staff installed there. I just never really expect to see great things materialize in a HC first year. If it happens, Surprise! If not, okay too.
  • What the **** is Jimbo's excuse? He's been there long enough to produce and he ain't producing. App state was not surprising--I knew it would be competitive. If CMC does his job this weekend, Jimbo will really start feeling the heat.
  • Nebraska doesn't have an excuse--Frost has been a **** coach and it was only a matter of time. Five years and what, an average of 5-7 seasons or something like that? Losing to Georgia Southern was not surprising to be honest.
There should not be a preseason ranking but there always will be because there is money to be made from it. At the least they should not allow a school that has a new head coach ranked top 25 for the first 4 weeks. That would eliminate the over rankings of Notre Dame and Oregon. Those were not shocking results to anyone dialed in to this sport.

I'm glad to see these smaller conference pulling up on these dudes and getting them with the gat. Dudes running P5 programs getting lazy and overpaid. We saw a lot of smaller programs not giving two ***** who they played and it benefits this sport greatly to have that attitude. I'll tell you what, nobody around here is really saying it but I will; I'm glad we don't have any sunbelt schools on our schedule this year. I would be more worried about playing an App State this weekend than I would a TAMU.
That ND loss is not forgivable. You lost at home to Marshall when they were 20 plus point favorites. A week after sticking with Osu who will likely be in the playoffs for most of the game. The ND offense is atrocious.

Advertisement
First two weeks and tons of examples where overmatched teams not only weren't, they went and got the dub-u.

Fluke or is parity returning?

I'm hoping the latter.
Great question and I’m with you on hoping it’s the latter and I think it is. I think the game being opened up has helped tremendously with closing the gap. Quality of coaching has drastically improved and We’ll always have the media idiots over hyping teams like the gator, ND and whatever middling SEC team that starts hot in the current year until they get exposed.

Go Canes!

Seems so. Would be good topic to revisit at mid-season, end of season.

Now, just reduce scholarships to 75 and max roster size. Spread the talent out and make coaches win by coaching and development rather than out-recruiting everyone, properly or improperly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The transfer portal will help spread the talent and keep teams from hogging all the good players. 4* and 5* kids who don't start will transfer somewhere else where they can start.

It'll be much rarer to hear people say "their 2nd and 3rd string could start at most places" now because most kids would rather transfer and start at maybe a slightly lesser school rather than be 2nd or 3rd string.

The transfer portal will help spread the talent and keep teams from hogging all the good players. 4* and 5* kids who don't start will transfer somewhere else where they can start.

It'll be much rarer to hear people say "their 2nd and 3rd string could start at most places" now because most kids would rather transfer and start at maybe a slightly lesser school rather than be 2nd or 3rd string.
Excellent point, we’ve got a 2nd string QB that would start at a ton of schools, that’s not common any longer.

View attachment 207705

Southern Mississippi is in the Sunbelt

Advertisement
Back