Is our perception simply skewed?

I hate to say it but your 100% right.

When I saw the SEC championship last year...two teams that went 11-1 that play in that conf (which is known for defense smh)..give up over 100 points and 1200 yards I knew the game had drastically changed.

But like it was pointed out.. Our defensive ranking is compared to other teams also giving up more yardage than usual..

There is no excuse on why we have been one if the worst teams in the nation.. None.

Advertisement
Exchanging touchdowns and winning the mistake game is obviously one way to get wins but when you are bludgeoned and the other team controls the clock that is a recipe for disaster.

Two years ago Bama and Notre Dame met in the national title game because they had the best two defenses in the nation. Teams may scheme their way to big numbers here and there but by and large a dominat defense is still attainable and you can hold teams with crap offenses to under 250 total yards.

Advertisement
A competent Asst or head coach devises a plan to attack your opponents weakness or take away the others team strength. Tell me the last time any one saw Doritos D try to do this. If Doritos last week would have moved his LB and safeties up and forced Nebraska to beat his team through the air and Nebraska would have won I could accept that result. But to watch a team run 3 basic plays all night long tells me he his set on certain formations and won't adjust. Down and distance and position on the field means nothing to this idiot.

Maybe a coaching staff fields the wrong game plan. Ok. But at some point if what you're doing isn't working do something else. Adjust.

I don't see this. To me it's not the scheme, 3-4 v. 4-3 it's the lack of implementing adjustments to the scheme that take away our opponent's strength. If you're getting your *** kicked by their running game, particularly if they're daring you to stop it, neb. K-state, ND, it's time to adjust. The D never seems to adjust. It's maddening.

UCLA won last night against a top 15 team on the road and gave up over 600 yards of total offense

Okie St. beat Texas Tech and gave up over 500

FSU, the so-called best defense in America, was outgained by over 100 yards by a Clemson team playing a true freshman quarterback

Are the days of holding teams under 300 yards over? Is it really bend but don't break vs. being stout? Am I just out of my mind?

I don't think any of the defenses above would give up 300 rushing yards to Nebraska

Advertisement
A competent Asst or head coach devises a plan to attack your opponents weakness or take away the others team strength. Tell me the last time any one saw Doritos D try to do this. If Doritos last week would have moved his LB and safeties up and forced Nebraska to beat his team through the air and Nebraska would have won I could accept that result. But to watch a team run 3 basic plays all night long tells me he his set on certain formations and won't adjust. Down and distance and position on the field means nothing to this idiot.

Maybe a coaching staff fields the wrong game plan. Ok. But at some point if what you're doing isn't working do something else. Adjust.

I don't see this. To me it's not the scheme, 3-4 v. 4-3 it's the lack of implementing adjustments to the scheme that take away our opponent's strength. If you're getting your *** kicked by their running game, particularly if they're daring you to stop it, neb. K-state, ND, it's time to adjust. The D never seems to adjust. It's maddening.

I agree. Circumstance matters. If we were giving up 500yds to offensive juggernauts, like Sumlin, Leach, Oregon, it would be one thing. But when teams run the same type of play (Nebraska and K-State's running attack, UNC's Ebron-centric plan, etc) over and over and we refuse to adjust, it's mind-boggling. Being out-schemed and out-flanked week after week has resulted in a disaster of a defense, and the numbers bear that out, both raw and relatively.

When you rank at the bottom of your conference in defense, and your opponents consistently outperform their season averages while playing against you, It doesn't matter what the nominal values are of yds given up - you stink. I don't know if Al Groh handed Golden his playbook on some sacred tablets or something and that's why Golden holds on so dearly, or what, but if scatter-arms like Logan Thomas can surgically pick you apart, while one-dimensional running teams can shove it down your throat, something has to change. On the bright side, the D only has two areas to improve upon. Unfortunately those two areas are defending the run and defending the pass.

With the advent of the spread, the game has swung back to offense... just like it was when teams were dominating with the wishbone. One of these days, some defensive coach will solve the spread, and then everybody will follow, and it will swing back. I'm hoping we will be on the edge of that when it happens, as we have the local talent to adapt with a quickness, provided the leadership and teaching is in place.

As plenty of folks have said, the problem is we're handing out yards like candy and getting our *** kicked the same way for 2+ years with no end or adjustment in sight.

Coupled with the fact that we have a soft baby poo philosophy on defense.

Advertisement
Back