Is our perception simply skewed?

jzabl001

Redshirt Freshman
UCLA won last night against a top 15 team on the road and gave up over 600 yards of total offense

Okie St. beat Texas Tech and gave up over 500

FSU, the so-called best defense in America, was outgained by over 100 yards by a Clemson team playing a true freshman quarterback

Are the days of holding teams under 300 yards over? Is it really bend but don't break vs. being stout? Am I just out of my mind?

Advertisement
Offenses and the way teams score has changed BUT the real problem is that we are beat defensively the same way every week, even against far inferior opponents.

Maybe it's just me but it made my gut burn like an ice cold fire was in my stomach while watching Nebraska run through us like water through a strainer.

Offenses and the way teams score has changed BUT the real problem is that we are beat defensively the same way every week, even against far inferior opponents.

I agree partly. When you get beat week in, week out, by inferior talent, caoching and scheme is to blame.

Advertisement
Don't get me wrong, our defense sucks, but I don't think we will ever see what we saw 10+ years ago

Days of dominating defenses are over but it doesn't excuse not putting out a competetive defense.

With the rules today and how sophisticated offenses are I think defenses should be taking more chances. Create turnovers and 3rd and longs with pressure. Makes it even tougher to stomach the softness that we play with.

We also have had zero answer for spread teams. Seems like we are stuck in the 80's with our approach defensively. No innovation at all.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, our defense sucks, but I don't think we will ever see what we saw 10+ years ago

I agree with this. The game has changed significantly. Absent a HUGE disparity in talent (See UM v. Savannah State 2013), you just don't see teams stopping opponents the way they used to. Even defensive geniuses like Saban and Belichick get torched regularly at this point. The problem, as others have pointed out is that our defense is just trash. We can't stop anyone with a pulse.

Advertisement
A competent Asst or head coach devises a plan to attack your opponents weakness or take away the others team strength. Tell me the last time any one saw Doritos D try to do this. If Doritos last week would have moved his LB and safeties up and forced Nebraska to beat his team through the air and Nebraska would have won I could accept that result. But to watch a team run 3 basic plays all night long tells me he his set on certain formations and won't adjust. Down and distance and position on the field means nothing to this idiot.

With the way the rules are now days everything is tailor made for the offense I dont think you'll see the days of holding someone under 300 yards unless a team playing against a team with inferior talent level.

When we beat a ranked opponent on the road, there is a good chance the complaints about yards given up will be less significant.

Advertisement

Scoring has increased but there are still teams giving us less then 15 ppg and 300 yards per game. And those are all good teams.

To show the difference in the last 7 years:

2008: 18 teams gave up less then 300 yards per game
2013: 5 teams gave up less then 300 yards per game.

No, here's why. When you look at defensive rankings you're comparing teams against each other. It doesn't matter if the game has changed and everyone is giving up more yards, you're ranked against your peers. We are always ranked low. Even when we have a ****** schedule like last year. If we gave up 500 yards a week but that put us in the top 10 of all defenses, no one would complain.

When have we set our aspirations to UCLA and Ok St level? In any case it's not about their defenses being bad as in yards per se. Look at yards per play and yards per rush. They are going to give up yards as a function of simply how many plays both teams are running. Nebraska wasn't scoring in 60 seconds and us doing the same. They are grinding us for 6 minutes and we couldn't figure anything within that time period.

Advertisement
Someone needs to post that chart showing how we allowed season high yardage to just about every team on our schedule last year.

The big difference in my opinion is that we are so focused on not giving up the big play that it leads to teams having very long drives on us that eat up a lot of clock. I'd much rather play aggressive and try to make a play and if they beat you deep then our offense is back on the field. In addition, playing with this mindset puts much more pressure on our offense to score each time they get the ball since their possessions are so limited. This theory also makes our defense even more tired because they are on the field for longer. I obviously don't want to give up a bunch of yards but if it's going to happen we might as well try and make an aggressive play to create a turnover. And worst case scenario is they score a TD which is inevitable anyway.

I get what the OP is saying, but it doesn't apply to us. Too many teams have had "career" days against us for it to not be anything but bad coaching and scheme. There's no excuse or explanation for fielding 3 of the worst defenses in the history of Miami football over the last 3 seasons, given our relative talent level. There's no way we have 100th-ranking-type talent. Better coaches would take this same set of players and at least turn them into a serviceable unit.

The Top 20 teams that are good on defense are the Usual Suspects.We are only in the Top 25 because of FAMU and Ark St.Jesse Palmer said it best, we have had the best recruiting classes in the Coastal division the last 3-4 years and we still fielding a trashy defense. Bud Foster gets guys off the streets,plug them in and low and behold they shut **** down.Tired of fire Dorito talk, AG signs off on every play and explains every call Dorito makes to the press.Just clean house!

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Advertisement
Back