Is Lawrence Cager Gone!?

Advertisement
You're right. You can't teach drops. Cager has God-given natural stone hands. Perhaps he ought to try javelin catching?

Maybe he should.

Hands were decent, not perfect. More than half of his drops were body catches. Not saying he's an elite receiver. But with Richards gone and Thomas bolting, leaving us with a subpar receiving core, you all want our senior 6'5" wideout, who is the returning leader in TDs, yards, and yrds/catch, to jump ship? I've been one of the most critical of him, look at my posts. Cager is one of the few players who actually looks like he gives a ****.

Yeah, I see it now. The cupboard is so full it ain't even worth keeping him on the team, at the very least for depth.

Don't understand some of our fans.

As always, you people fail to understand basic math.

If we can have 85 scholarship players and we've got 78, there's no earthly reason to wish anyone off the team. Wish for a better receiver to take his spot, but he's doing no harm being on the team, and there's the possibility he'll do something good. He's not taking anyone's spot, there isn't some star WR we have to tell to go to bama because we don't have room. Literally no upside to him leaving.

Oh, and there's the thing about how you geniuses wanted Berrios to leave because he wasn't living up to your expectations. And then he was pretty much our whole receiving offense for the next season. But whatever.

never heard of addition through subtraction?

I think everyone would agree that we would have had a better season had Malik not even been on the roster this year.. The problem isnt the player, its the coach choosing to use the player. Knowles....Jahir Jones...

Cager dropped more balls than he caught and was a very lazy blocker, yet they chose to play him more than almost any WR on our team..

Advertisement
Cager and Homer are our top 2 returning receivers. Dallas, Jordan, Harley, Wiggins, Hightower, Pope, Njoku, Mallory, Ezzard, Irvin, Polendey all have at least one reception but we don't exactly have a slew of dependable pass catchers. For all of his faults, Cager has 10 career TDs and would be entering his 5th year at Miami. It's foolish to wish him away like this imo. I've been as frustrated as anyone with the guy but we don't have people banging down the door to play here at the moment.

Advertisement
Classic post on this board bashing players. Last memorable one was Shaq Quartermann. We ****ed off his dad and he left the board. Shaq goes on to ball out and have a fantast season. Now Cager is the flavor of the week for the arm chair QB whipping post. Watch him ball out next year and half these posters will be slow to eat crow. And then maybe he does not. Either way he earned his scholarship. Not every player suiting up is going to be the next Andre Johnson.

Takes up space??? What space? Dude, it's gonna take us years to get to 85 players on scholarship, and we're going in the wrong direction!

I fully expect Cager to transfer, but taking up space is a terrible reason for wanting him gone. Space is one thing we have in abundance, especially for a guy with just one more year of eligibility left.
You clearly misinterpreted the post...he was saying that the guy was taking up space on the depth board; taking up space in the 11 on the field, taking up space by taking practice/game reps from someone that may actually play like tarzan and just fit the build...he can stay on.the 85, we can use the depth. But but but don't feed the fanbase crap on gameday when you can serve us (potentially) consistency and explosiveness

If Cager leaves what other bum is Dugans going to give reps to over Hightower and Pope? I've never seen a guy who drops so many passes get so many reps. He caught 20 passes, it's a safe guesstimate that he dropped at least 8 or 9. He's literally dropping one pass for every two catches.

You clearly misinterpreted the post...he was saying that the guy was taking up space on the depth board; taking up space in the 11 on the field, taking up space by taking practice/game reps from someone that may actually play like tarzan and just fit the build...he can stay on.the 85, we can use the depth. But but but don't feed the fanbase crap on gameday when you can serve us (potentially) consistency and explosiveness

Fair enough. I was just going off the poster that @brock quoted having said that "Cager is wildly inconsistent but I wouldn't mind having him on the roster next season." Brock responded with "I would...". I took that to mean that Brock wants Cager off the roster.

My point is, it's up to the coaching staff to manage the depth chart better and get more playing time to the guys who can make the plays that we need. Not that we as fans are in control of anything anyway, but wishing a guy off the roster just so that we have one less WR doesn't accomplish anything, and as you said, we need enough players just to be able to practice, play special teams, and provide depth.

Cager is probably going to transfer, but I would rather have him back on the team next year (not necessarily as a starter). From Brock's post, it seemed he was saying he wanted him gone.

Advertisement
If Cager leaves what other bum is Dugans going to give reps to over Hightower and Pope? I've never seen a guy who drops so many passes get so many reps. He caught 20 passes, it's a safe guesstimate that he dropped at least 8 or 9. He's literally dropping one pass for every two catches.

He made some great catches too. Hate to bash on a Cane, I was excited about him when he committed to us. He had a tough career with the injuries he dealt with, I don't think he's the same player he was when he came in anymore, but he always seemed to work hard and rehab hard, never giving up, never complaining. I give him props for all that. But yeah, he got way more playing time than he earned this past season.

Asked about reports that Cager and Pope have considered transferring, Mike Harley Jr says his impression from being around group is that no UM WRs are leaving. He had no info on Jarren Williams

Classic post on this board bashing players. Last memorable one was Shaq Quartermann. We ****ed off his dad and he left the board. Shaq goes on to ball out and have a fantast season. Now Cager is the flavor of the week for the arm chair QB whipping post. Watch him ball out next year and half these posters will be slow to eat crow. And then maybe he does not. Either way he earned his scholarship. Not every player suiting up is going to be the next Andre Johnson.
I thought papa Shaq left because his family thought it was a conflict of interest to have a son playing on the team and a father posting opinions and the like, that could potentially create a controversy or just give a bad look?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I thought papa Shaq left because his family thought it was a conflict of interest to have a son playing on the team and a father posting opinions and like, that could potentially create a controversy or just give a bad look?

You are correct.

Advertisement
Back