Is Josh Pate right"

Advertisement
Yes; he’s 1000% correct. Jimmy Johnson already addressed the team yrs ago to define what swagger was. Hence, I wasn’t a fan of the props, b/c Manny associated gimmicks w swagger.

Miami became loud & boisterous AFTER they dominated the guys across from them w consistency. Nothing has changed; the mindset of this false narrative of swagger has completely ruined the program b/c players, starting w Coker, felt like just putting on this helmet that dawned The U would automatically make u great, and NFL bound.

Keep the talent home, not just star ratings, but guys who are hungry, leaders, thirst to get better. Build the trenches, bring more speed & twitch athleticism. Know who r u are, what u wanna run, and recruit accordingly. The work ethic gotta be reinstalled.

Last edited:
Pro style bro, full back in the flats bro.. We held on to that 15 years too long and let a whole era pass us by before we hopped on to benefit.. Soo sad

The problem with pro style is you have to be not only talented, but very disciplined for it to work at a high level. EVERYONE must do their job or you are screwed. You sure as **** can't have numbskulls at QB in a system like that.

We were trying to run a system that was an absolutely horrific fit for the players we had. Not only from a talent standpoint, but from a mental standpoint.

Advertisement
The problem with pro style is you have to be not only talented, but very disciplined for it to work at a high level. EVERYONE must do their job or you are screwed. You sure as **** can't have numbskulls at QB in a system like that.

We were trying to run a system that was an absolutely horrific fit for the players we had. Not only from a talent standpoint, but from a mental standpoint.
Not only that, when pro style was in vogue, the game was significantly lower scoring and slower. A really good pro style offense would average 400 yards and 30points per game. In 2020, that’s just an average offense. It’s just overly dependent on having a dominant offensive line and that’s just not what we have in abundance in south Florida

This. Pro style was fine; but we weren’t recruiting the right guys to fit that system. Just star hunting vs. evaluating. Plus, the work ethic went down the drain, like to the sewers. Too many square pegs forced into round holes.

Advertisement
Not only that, when pro style was in vogue, the game was significantly lower scoring and slower. A really good pro style offense would average 400 yards and 30points per game. In 2020, that’s just an average offense. It’s just overly dependent on having a dominant offensive line and that’s just not what we have in abundance in south Florida
I have never liked relying on South Florida talent for the OL. The more we do, the worse our lines look.

We have talked a while about the level of coaching guys get in South Florida compared to say Texas. Well, when it comes to O-linemen, we need to start getting guys we know have been well coached, and that can take more coaching. Enough of the "looks the part" BS. We get too many projects on the OL from SFLA that simply never reach the potential we hoped they had.

Now I'm not saying to pass on them all, but I am saying we need to start looking elsewhere, and hard.

**** that was stupid and difficult to get through. This dude might be just as boring as Cowherd.
What ******* idiot who actually payed attention to this team over the last 15 years thinks that all we've been missing is the swagger?
It's a talking point by people in the media, and people who say they are canes fans, but don't actually watch the games, so they just parrot what they hear from people in the media.

Advertisement
This. Pro style was fine; but we weren’t recruiting the right guys to fit that system. Just star hunting vs. evaluating. Plus, the work ethic went down the drain, like to the sewers. Too many square pegs forced into round holes.
Funny thing about the term “pro-style” is how few pro teams every run with 2WR’s, 1TE, 1RB and 1FB?
Can it still work in football or are we watching the extinction of the offense as we have watched others; wishbone, option, run n shoot toname a few

I have never liked relying on South Florida talent for the OL. The more we do, the worse our lines look.

We have talked a while about the level of coaching guys get in South Florida compared to say Texas. Well, when it comes to O-linemen, we need to start getting guys we know have been well coached, and that can take more coaching. Enough of the "looks the part" BS. We get too many projects on the OL from SFLA that simply never reach the potential we hoped they had.

Now I'm not saying to pass on them all, but I am saying we need to start looking elsewhere, and hard.
In the 50's and 60's our offensive linemen came from Pennsylvania.

Funny thing about the term “pro-style” is how few pro teams every run with 2WR’s, 1TE, 1RB and 1FB?
Can it still work in football or are we watching the extinction of the offense as we have watched others; wishbone, option, run n shoot toname a few
Good point, I am curious as to what is next. I've wondered if real basic football ala Lombardi basics of power plays by fine pointing a few running plays and just beat teams up. Lombardi drilled and redrilled those basic plays until they were run to perfection. Since we invented speed I wonder if strength and perfection could negate that speed?

Advertisement

We need to learn to evaluate. There are just as many bad takes in Texas as Florida. If we don’t know what we’re looking for and can’t evaluate it anyhow, it really doesn’t matter who we take. We’ve passed on local linemen who turn out really solid and taken OOS linemen who stink. The problem is staring us in the mirror.

We go to Iowa, we snag Pipho. We go to texas, presto Reggie Youngblood. Go juco- Tyler McMeans. Go California, Bar Milo. Go Ohio, Alex Gall. See the trend?

Last edited:

Oh no; eventually we would’ve had to evolve. I’m more less referring to our lack of success in an era where it was still a viable option.

The NFL game has changed completely

Advertisement
Back