Is GA Tech that good?

nycane

All-ACC
Premium
I was not blown away with Duke. alot of it was them beating themselves. We didnt dominate. However, is GA Teach really that good? they seem to have no passing game. I dont want golden to get by with another 8-9 win season.

Advertisement
GT is not good either. They will fumble a few times tomorrow night.

They can't pass to save thier lives.

And they have the worst rush D in the ACC

Golden skates until FSU

This maybe the worst GT team I've seen in the Paul Johnson era. If we play even an avg game we should win by 17.

Other than their QB(big upgrade over the previous QBs since Nesbit) who was originally committed to Bama and supposedly runs a 4.3 and has 7 passing TDs and only 1 INT, and their OLine which is supposed to be the best in the Paul Johnson era the team looks weak.

They have a good WR who is a great blocker and really physical, and 2 solid DTs, but both DEs are not very good at all(good news since we will be shuffling guys around this week) IMO if this is the case, then we might want to leave Feliciano at LG to handle the DTs and play Darling at RT(if he is ready).

The big thing will be how our DLine handles their great OLine and their cut blocks all night, lets hope everyone makes it out healthy.

Should be a high scoring game, I expect Duke(if healthy) and Yearby to go off and for Clive and the WRs to have a big night on those DBs.

I was not blown away with Duke. alot of it was them beating themselves. We didnt dominate. However, is GA Teach really that good? they seem to have no passing game. I dont want golden to get by with another 8-9 win season.

hu.gif

Advertisement
They beat VT at VT. They can't be the worst GT team. They think their o-line is one of the best they've had. QB is a huge upgrade. Their RBs are the same or just as good as last years and as mentioned one solid WR who can block. We know our CBs can struggle getting off blocks and tackling. We've beat them 5 times in a row but lets not pretend we stomped them each time and shut down their offense.

Miami has to tackle well to win and not turn the ball over.

They have struggled to tackle well consistently and have turned the ball over a ton.

We will see.

2013- GT Rushed for 335 yards against our defense
2012- GT Rushed for 287 yards against our defense

Do we remember what Nebraska did?

Advertisement

How did Duke beat themselves?

Wofford W 38-19

Tulane W 38-21

Ga. Southern W 42-38

Virginia Tech W 27-24

I ain't impressed.

Advertisement
If you want a basic reference point, Louisville is allowing 3.68 yards per play. Georgia Tech allows 6.37. That's the difference between the open spaces we should expect in this conference road game compared to the only one we've played.

I still have no idea how anybody downplayed Louisville and the challenge we faced in that game. That defensive yards per play category tends to transfer from one season to the next, as I've emphasized. They were top 5 last season. Louisville is obviously recruiting well in that area and has great intensity level. They could afford to lose several guys high in the draft yet maintain.

I will say Georgia Tech's stats are a bit misleading. Georgia Southern and the great run/pass balance averaged nearly 9 yards per play against them. In the other three games they allowed 5.4 to 5.9. That's probably their true range...below average but not pathetic. Late in the Virginia Tech game they started to play more confidently and effectively on defense. More pass rush pressure on Brewer than they'd displayed all season. Now with a week off it will likely tick upward, at least in terms of energy and confidence to begin the game.

Smelter is the only guy they've been throwing to with any regularity. I expected more from Darren Waller, who is a typically tall Georgia Tech receiver.

Quayshawn Nealy has been an instinctive linebacker for them for a long time. I like him because he makes plays every time I bet Georgia Tech. He's kind of their version of Perryman, although not as physical or gifted. Same height. Better pass defender. This season a young backer named Paul Davis has started to emerge. Overall I don't see as many pro prospects as they typically field on defense.

As already mentioned in this thread, Justin Thomas is the best quarterback they've had since Nesbitt many years ago. It was a great coup to sway him from Alabama, which planned to use Thomas as an athlete, not quarterback. Paul Johnson's job security would be in better shape if he'd had a quarterback on this level the past several years, when his overall team was superior to this one. Thomas' 7-1 touchdown/interceptio ratio is misleading. He's more than capable of throwing interceptions. At times this year he's been so wild the ball has sailed to areas where nobody had a chance.

Last edited:
How the **** does Georgia Southern score 38 points on an ACC team?

Maybe because they lead the nation in yards per play?

More balance this year, with a quarterback averaging nearly 12 yards per attempt. They've finally added some capability there after being an option team for a long time. They looked more dangerous than Georgia Tech while running many of the same designs.

That team can play. Very close to defeating both North Carolina State and Georgia Tech on the road. They frankly blew the North Carolina State opener after leading big late. Offense tightened up in the 4th quarter.

Of course, their stats were boosted by playing Savannah State, like ours last year. Similar final score.

More balance this year, with a quarterback averaging nearly 12 yards per attempt. They've finally added some capability there after being an option team for a long time. They looked more dangerous than Georgia Tech while running many of the same designs.

That team can play. Very close to defeating both North Carolina State and Georgia Tech on the road. They frankly blew the North Carolina State opener after leading big late. Offense tightened up in the 4th quarter.

Of course, their stats were boosted by playing Savannah State, like ours last year. Similar final score.

Well **** my ***, I didn't even know that GSU was a FBS team this year.

Advertisement

Sun Belt. They Lost to NC State 24-23 in Raleigh, beat Savannah State 83-9, lost to Ga Tech 42-38 in Atlanta, beat South Alabama 28-6, beat Appalachian State 34-14. They'll probably win 8-9 games this year and maybe even the Sun Belt.

Nobody, including Miami, is good on this side of the bracket. A bunch of retards running in the Special Olympics.

Sun Belt. They Lost to NC State 24-23 in Raleigh, beat Savannah State 83-9, lost to Ga Tech 42-38 in Atlanta, beat South Alabama 28-6, beat Appalachian State 34-14. They'll probably win 8-9 games this year and maybe even the Sun Belt.

Plus they played on a minimum roster last year so that they could come into the FBS with maximum scholarships for a recruiting class.

How did Duke beat themselves?

We beat them, but holy **** their center couldn't snap his fingers nonetheless a **** football. They fumbled at least 4-5 times off snaps. Those mistakes messed up their field position. We did very well in tackling in the open field whenever they did successfully get the ball out. The defense didn't pressure until the 4th quarter either. For the many positives there were also negatives in certain aspects of the game.

Advertisement
Back