Is Covid19 helping our recruiting?

BOLTY

Recruit
People are sticking close to home.
People are afraid to fly etc
This could definitely help us keep more of the local talent down in S Florida where family doesnt have to fly in for games etc.

Advertisement
I think Covid is helping us for the reasons you said coupled with us being in the most talent-rich area in the country.

I still credit the staff for the great work they’ve done though, especially off last season. They’re capitalizing on opportunities.

Advertisement
I feel like self-loathing UM fans will look for anything other than UM still being an attractive marquee program with incredible talent within walking distance of campus and some really good young dynamic recruiters on staff. You guys act like we've never had a top 15 class. We have them almost every **** year.

This whole COVID **** is being way overhyped as a reason for our good work in recruiting. If anything, COVID would make these dudes want to get the fck out of here and go see something different. They've been trapped in the same place with the same people for 4 months. They're probably stir crazy.

Why's Tennessee doing so well? UNC?

Im hoping its not Covid and I hope its bags, because if things get back to status quo covid aint going to be around forever and things will return back to normal. I actually think we got some dogs on the trail and its showing finally, still want to creep into that next level or tier of recruiting vs the cream of the crop but im not complaining at this moment. Only thing is we need to hold onto the studs when NSD approaches...... cause the big bag schools turn up the heat with a month left its why we always standing at the podium with our diks in our hand........ and left scrambling for late minute kids that the forums will hype up even though the guys were total unknowns a week before NSD lol.

Advertisement
I feel like self-loathing UM fans will look for anything other than UM still being an attractive marquee program with incredible talent within walking distance of campus and some really good young dynamic recruiters on staff. You guys act like we've never had a top 15 class. We have them almost every **** year.

This whole COVID **** is being way overhyped as a reason for our good work in recruiting. If anything, COVID would make these dudes want to get the fck out of here and go see something different. They've been trapped in the same place with the same people for 4 months. They're probably stir crazy.

Why's Tennessee doing so well? UNC?

Except they can't because most can't travel. So they commit to where they've been and what they think they know. Anyone who doesn't think COVID plays a serious role in Miami recruiting right now hasn't been paying attention and hasn't been reading interviews.

You mentioned UNC. All of their recruits come from within realistic driving distance of campus. That proves the point.

Last edited:
We have to give Manny a lot of credit; no not for his on field performance, but his offseason work might be the best in the country.

He hired a stud offensive staff, a number of quality "analysts" with strong South Florida ties, he is ****ing the **** off out of UF and FSU, and he even has CIS in a good mood. Almost magical......

Except they can't because most can't travel. So they commit to where they've been and what they think they know. Anyone who doesn't think COVID plays a serious role in Miami recruiting right now hasn't been paying attention and hasn't been reading interviews.

You mentioned UNC. All of their recruits come from within realistic driving distance of campus. That proves the point.

UNC and Tenn have "$upped$" their game dramatically. And the new rules will help the big city schools a lot more than your typical $EC school.

Worth noting that Tenn had a pretty full class before COVID really shut things down. You have to consider how things have trended since April

UNC has got 7 commits since April. 4 UNC, 1SC and 2 VA. So basically they are doing great and all that committed are a short drive away.

Miami has got 9 commits since April. All Florida but one (TX).

Tenn has picked up 15 since April (OK I was way off above) but only 1 in June and July (possibly as they are already at 23) but 2 4-star decommits in that time-frame (VA and Florida). Things ave slown down fast for then last two months.

Advertisement
Im hoping its not Covid and I hope its bags, because if things get back to status quo covid aint going to be around forever and things will return back to normal. I actually think we got some dogs on the trail and its showing finally, still want to creep into that next level or tier of recruiting vs the cream of the crop but im not complaining at this moment. Only thing is we need to hold onto the studs when NSD approaches...... cause the big bag schools turn up the heat with a month left its why we always standing at the podium with our diks in our hand........ and left scrambling for late minute kids that the forums will hype up even though the guys were total unknowns a week before NSD lol.
This shtick is so overplayed

Advertisement
It may give us some advantage, similar to any school on a good recruiting location. But advantages mean noting unless people understand how to make the most of their advantage.
and frankly this just balances out, for one year, the financial disadvantage UM always has in athletic budget and boosters. And that disadvantage is every year.

Covid is being overhyped as an excuse. Is it playing a little part? Maybe. But we are fresh off a top 15 class(not including Walker), that immediately followed a disastrous season and we’re ranked what, 12th now? It’s not like we’ve gone from 50th to top 5.

Miami is still a national brand and we finally have some dogs on the recruiting trail, I think those factors are playing a bigger part than Covid.

Covid is being overhyped as an excuse. Is it playing a little part? Maybe. But we are fresh off a top 15 class(not including Walker), that immediately followed a disastrous season and we’re ranked what, 12th now? It’s not like we’ve gone from 50th to top 5.

Miami is still a national brand and we finally have some dogs on the recruiting trail, I think those factors are playing a bigger part than Covid.

The original point of this thread was about the impact of COVID on recruiting. Miami may or may not be still a national brand, but that is not in place here as this is a recruiting class all about the locals. Only one commitment is from out of state. COVID helps us as prospects can't travel as they usually would.

Are our recruiters better than prior years? Yeah, I believe that. Is COVID playing a "little part"? No. It plays a big role.

People are sticking close to home.
People are afraid to fly etc
This could definitely help us keep more of the local talent down in S Florida where family doesnt have to fly in for games etc.

Covid would have no effect on recruiting if Diaz and co. hadn't put in the work to get kids interested. We might be capitalizing on the kung-flu, but credit to them for laying the foundation.

Advertisement
Back