Is anyone else tired of the PFF/S&P+ bullsh..?

Moonman

иди нахуй
It seems football is turning into baseball with the numbers and analytics.

giphy.webp

Advertisement
I don’t understand it but S&P is usually a good barometer on how a team is doing. PFF just a film breakdown

Advertisement
We should trust the naked eye test. Since no one ever has an inherent bias.
I'm not saying it doesn't have value. I'm just annoyed with the fact that it's all anyone talks about anymore. Listen to any football podcast and it's PFF this PFF that. Does anyone actually watch the games anymore or do they just go to PFF for their expert opinion? I'm old school. I watch as many games as I can and enjoy the game for what it is. I don't need some nerd telling me that OL55 from LGBTQU is the highest graded lineman in the midcornersouth conference.

I'm not saying it doesn't have value. I'm just annoyed with the fact that it's all anyone talks about anymore. Listen to any football podcast and it's PFF this PFF that. Does anyone actually watch the games anymore or do they just go to PFF for their expert opinion? I'm old school. I watch as many games as I can and enjoy the game for what it is. I don't need some nerd telling me that OL55 from LGBTQU is the highest graded lineman in the midcornersouth conference.

I’m just messing with you brother. I agree the grading is subjective and some have grown overly reliant on these scores when judging performance.

My brother worked for PFF grading out plays as a side job in college one season. He got a couple hours of training and then went for it. Some of his buddies did it too. Idk if they have multiple people grade each play then take the consensus, but if they just have each play graded by one inexperienced person, I can see it being inconsistent pretty easily.

PFF is different and I would think separate from S&P+ or whatever.. Like Pff seems like an opinion, the other stuff is stats.. Our HC loves that analytics stuff

Advertisement
As a math type guy, I know that numbers can be turned and twisted so I seldom pay attention to any but my own. For football, should always tract who deliver the first, hardest and most frequent blows to the mouth. Plans don't seem to survive those very well. Might be old-fashion that way.

Advertisement
There's no perfect metric and without knowing the exact play call, it's impossible for PFF to give the most accurate grade as they don't know every player's exact responsibility. Fans rely on it because it's the best metric we have access to. Coaches give their own grades per position but it's usually not something shared with the public. It's also not some new phenomenon. Manny Navarro often has Kelvin Harris on his podcast and they were discussing the topic last week. Kelvin played offensive line in the late 80's-early 90's and he said that Art Kehoe and Butch Davis used a numerical grading system for both the lines. He told a story about how excited the staff got when they finally got a computer they could enter all the numbers into and it would calculate a grade for each player. Lots of older guys aren't crazy about using analytics because they often prove "gut instincts" wrong and coaches like to pretend they have some 6th sense regarding sports and they don't like that a computer can get better results just by crunching numbers. Obviously the numbers aren't 100% perfect but they're not influenced by perception or bias like the eye test or "gut instinct" can be.

The pff is as opinionated as the naked eye. totally dependent on the one entering the info to the computer
This is sort of correct. Yes, the grade is dependent on the person who analyzes the film but the guy analyzing the film is paying 10000x's more attention to every single detail than the average fan watching the game on TV who only sees the televised angle. A fan might see his quarterback get sacked three times and say "the line didn't do a good job". But the guy analyzing the film will see if the blame is actually on the lineman or if a running back missed a block or if the quarterback held the ball too long or possibly ran from a clean pocket into a sack. The coaches aren't reyling on PFF grades because they have all their own film and make their own grades but fans and media don't have all that access or time (unless you're Lance) so they rely on a service to do the heavy lifting.

PFF corrects for anti-midcornersouth conference bias.

Advertisement
PFF is useful for some of their objective stats they gather like snap counts, yards after contact etc but their subjective film grades are awful

Advertisement
Back