Is a victory vs. Notre Dame game a program changer?

There is actually a very good chance of us not getting in with only one loss against ND. The issue comes down to the head-to-head and we would be on the bottom of that totem pole: UGA>>ND>>Miami

Let's just assume the following...
1st - Alabama beats UGA in the SEC CG
2nd - Notre Dame beats us and wins out
3rd - UGA's only loss is against the now new #1 (very likely they wouldnt drop that far, and with ND being in they have a good argument of staying in too with beating ND)
4th - Oklahoma wins out

I truly believe Wisconsin loses to Iowa, but even if they dont I dont think they will take the Big Ten. BUT if they win out that is another rub.

The argument here is that if we only lose to ND and then win out, all the teams above have a better argument to be in. The committee also wouldnt pack Alabama, UGA, ND, and Miami into the Playoffs for that many rematches.

We need to win out.

Advertisement
There have been a few big steps this season that should argue that the program has already changed for the better. First, beating FSU, even a lesser FSU, was a mental hurdle that needed to be cleared before the team could move forward. Second, pulling out games against teams like GT, Syracuse and UNC while not playing your best ball, which is something we struggled with in the past. Third, beating VT soundly with the Coastal on the line.

Beating ND would be a major step forward, of course....but we really need to win the **** Coastal at the very least. Can't lose sight of that. Maybe I'm still a little Goldenized, but consider the possible painful scenario of 1) beating ND, but 2) coming out flat against Virginia and losing the Coastal

We would need to lose to both UVA and Pitt for UVA to have the tiebreaker against us and for UVA not to lose to Louisville, us, or VT.

That's a tall order for UVA.

“if you come here we’ll be winning games and playing for the National Championship, if you don’t come here we’ll be winning games and playing for the National Championship”. - Barry Switzer

Apocryphal? ****, I don’t know, but Switzer didn’t mean the Big 8, he didn’t reduce it to Nebraska, he was talking about winning it all.

Miami will not be back unless Miami is playing for the National Championship.

Go 2017 Canes 9-0!

Advertisement
Winning in Charlotte and making the playoffs is more important.

Not that I want to change the subject but a loss on Saturday means we don't make the playoffs no matter what we do moving forward. We need to win out for the playoffs.

Clemson is a top 4 team and I think will be a top 4 team when we face them.

If we beat them I believe we can still make the playoffs.

So you are assuming we win this Saturday? Because we won't be in the top 10 any longer if we lose Saturday.

You have to look at the whole picture.....like in Hold'em Poker sometimes you play the board not your hand.

Making the assumption we go 11-1 with ACCCG win over Clemson and loss to Notre Dame.

Who are the 4 teams to make up the playoff that would be ahead of us.

Worst case scenario is UGA meets Bama (both undefeated in SECCG), with both teams taking up a spot in final 4 and Notre Dame finishes 11-1.

That leaves 1 spot for everyone else to grab who are the teams left in play.

- TCU or OU as Big 12 champ. They play each guaranteeing 2 losses for 1 of them. Then they will likely play again in B12CG. Strong chance of a 2-loss B12 Champ.
- 12-1 Washington PAC12 Champ with no quality wins that will equal beating Clemson and an much worse loss to ASU
- Undefeated Wisconsin would of course be in.....but what if they lose to Iowa or Mich? Or to MSU/OSU in B10CG? Is a 2 loss Mich St or OSU B10 Champ or 1-Loss Wisc getting the nod over us in this case?

There is no one else...those OSU and PSU losses really opened it up....it would not take a lot to get back in the playoff picture as an 11-1 ACC Champ. ****, if Auburn is able to upset UGA this weekend.....You may only have 1 SEC team in the playoff opening up another spot if Bama then beats them. If ND loses to Stanford then maybe another spot.

Unless you think a bunch of 2 loss teams are going to get the nod over a 1-loss ACC Champ, then I would be wrong.

Valid points; however, I have zero faith in the playoff committee and media. They'll ***** us.

Not that I want to change the subject but a loss on Saturday means we don't make the playoffs no matter what we do moving forward. We need to win out for the playoffs.

Win the ACCCG and we are in the playoffs even with one loss

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. A Georgia loss to Auburn would help tho.

This changes everything should UGA lose to Auburn and the SEC Ship game.

Oklahoma loses to TCU this weekend. TCU is the one team in that conference that can actually play defense. They slow down OU and score enough to pull the “upset”.

If we lose Saturday, but beat Clemson I’d say 50/50 at best for us getting to CFP. Let’s just win Saturday first and worry about the rest later.

Assuming we lose to ND and then beat Clemson in the ACCCG. This is what we want to happen to improve our chances:

Need one or both of Alabama and UGA to lose before the SECCG to lesson the chances of two spots to the SEC. (Miss St is playing well, Auburn can still upset both, and maybe GT will get its **** together by the time they play UGA)

Whichever one wins in the OU/TCU game this weekend, we need to root for the other to win the Big 12 CG rematch.

Need Wisconsin to lose a game. Iowa would be the best choice.

But hey. Let's just beat ND.

Advertisement

Win the ACCCG and we are in the playoffs even with one loss

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. A Georgia loss to Auburn would help tho.

This changes everything should UGA lose to Auburn and the SEC Ship game.

As long as Bama beats Auburn then.....If 11-2 Auburn somehow beats UGA, then Bama, then UGA again in the SECCG....They would be in, even with 2 losses. If UGA gets revenge and beats Auburn in rematch they would be in. Problem is in this scenario, you will have 11-1 Bama.

Would committee have the guts to leave out a 11-1 Bama team, who didn't win their division, with not a very good schedule who lost to the best team they played? Any other school would be....but we know the treatment Bama gets.

What does a victory this Saturday mean to this program? College Gameday is in town. Miami hasn't beaten a top 3 team since 2005. "Is Miami back?" Recruiting? Community?

In my opinion, this game reminds me of 79' Penn State, 98' UCLA, 00' FSU program changer type game.

Either way, ND has a 4 game winning streak vs. us. Last time we beat ND was in that epic game in 1989 what many consider the loudest game in the history of the Orange Bowl game. This Saturday we should make it the loudest game in the history of Joe Robbie.

No. Already changed the program back in 1983.

Advertisement
Sad thing is we need to win out to make it to the playoff. Can't lose to ND because they have been patiently waiting to drop us out of the top 15. Meanwhile you have a 2 loss Ohio St team that is still in the top 10. Such bull****

Advertisement
Back