Is A&M's loss a good thing for Miami?

Advertisement
Canes should forget the rankings, forget if A&M won or lost yesterday. Just practice like it's a real game, play smart on gameday, keep cool, and have some juice.

We need to rock them in the first quarter... up by 2 to 3TDs ...if not their home field will kick in.
Don't trust the ACC officials either

Week 1 and week 2 upsets are not unusual. Was the ATM loss an upset? I don't know. I know they can't be happy with how they played, and if the Mario rhetoric is real, this game will be about mental toughness. All things being even (no idea if they are) from a mental toughness standpoint, I believe Mario>Jumbo. Go Canes!

The biggest problem for Miami is a fan base that wants to fast-track their way back to championship ways; meaning every win is taken to seriously and every loss to catastrophic.

Look at what the Canes are currently fielding instead of just looking at the sidelines and the guys with the headphones on. These are the remnants of a program that went 28-24 since late 2017, after the 10-0 start—on it's third head coach in five years.

It's less about Mario Cristobal this year and what the end result is; it's still about guys like DJ Ivey out there as one of the better options on-paper, as well as a two-deep that is nowhere near championship caliber.

We knew this was going to happen; our fan base hanging everything on every week—Miami HAD TO BEAT aTm because Florida beat Utah and Florida State beat LSU. If not, the sky is falling for the Canes and it's going to be a catastrophe for the Cristobal era.

Well we saw the media's love affair with Florida and AR-15 crashing and burning within a week; unranked to #12—despite Utah one better throw away from surviving—and now the Gators are 1-1, while Richardson is all the one-dimensional quarterback / super athlete we knew he was before upsetting the Utes.

Godforbid Miami loses next weekend—now it's not just losing to aTm, it's losing to "a team that Appalachian State beat!"—followed by the whole transitive property game fans will play regarding this team beating that team and that team beating this team; as if that's how football is played.

Miami's offensive line looks spotty, receivers aren't running great routs, defenders are giving up too many big plays—and they're dropping interceptions to keep drives alive—while Mr.
All-Everything Quarterback had an admittedly pedestrian outing.

All of that has the makings of 8-4 instead of 10-2—and a close win at aTm, versus giving a game away.

Upside; trusting Mario and this staff to hopefully work out the kinks this week, while mentally getting guys ready for a big road game—as 8:00pm under the lights at a packed Kyle Field is a far cry from a 3:30pm kickoff against Appalachian State.

The Aggies losing is "good" in the sense like Notre Dame, they might be a really average football team that was overhanded to start the year. The loss is "bad" if it happened awake sleeping giant and they correct their mistakes and lethargic effort and come to play on Saturday.

Either way, personally glad GameDay won't be there as that takes some added pressure off. We just saw a few years back how jacked up a city, environment and game can become when GameDay is there to pour gas on the fire. Notre Dame never stood a chance against Miami after that raucous game-day environment.

Let all of College Station writhe a little bit after the loss, questioning their team's abilities and licking their wounds—as the GameDay party shunned them for Boone, North Carolina (another loss to Appalachian State...)—and a little less spotlight on the event, which inevitably levels the playing field for Miami, as the Aggies fans are in a fog this week after an embarrassing loss.

Advertisement
aTm box score… wow

9 first downs
97 pass yards, 186 total yards
18 min TOP
-0.32 EPA/play (0th %tile)
37% success rate
5% explosive play rate (0%tile)
0% red zone success rate
43% available yards

This is bad.

Does the loss to App State deflate A&M or act as a motivator? Does it shake A&M's confidence and embolden UM? Is there more pressure now on A&M than on Miami to win the game?

My experience has been that being a victim of a mild or moderate upset upset angers and motivates a team. (witness Utah putting up 45 in the first half yesterday) ...but to a huge underdog (and at home ) often will shake a team so bad, they lose motivation.

What do y'all think, the A&M loss help or hurt our chances to beat them?

My call UM 27 A&M 21......saw alot of mental mistakes by A&M during crunch time, They are the ones who have to win our game and they did not look good under pressure yesterday. Couple that with a loss of confidence and I think it will be a tough day for A&M. Sure we have alot of pressure to win, but the loss takes away the cloak of invincibilty A&M has at home with the 12th man.
No

Advertisement
If we can get some fans their and represent, our players will play there best game. We cant loose, especially if we can get lose for some big plays.
please someone tell me this is a troll attempt.

tenor.gif

Be good if they dwell on it all week…

The formula is out that App state did…. Smash mouth punch them in the mouth. Run the ball and take the fight to them… maybe that Dline is still young but **** it was glaring how app state controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides…

Worst case scenario iyam.
It's more like we just don't win from it at all, in any way. A win is diminished, a loss is amplified. Maybe it means they're bad, but history will scream at us that it's early and talent should be trusted at least to some extent.

They would be up for this game even had they won. Look at every big-time game we've played in - teams always get up to play us regardless.

However, now a W means less than it would have if they were ranked top 10. The narrative will be "Miami beat a bad TAMU, who cares"
Well look what the cat dragged in….

Been well?

Advertisement
Reading their boards there's a lot of division in opinion on what the QB situation will be for them next week. Seems like the majority believe a change needs to be made but doubt Jimbo will do it. Who it should be is split between those wanting max Johnson and those wanting to bring in 5 star freshman connor Weigman and letting him roll. Virtually no one wants to see Haynes King again even though they think Jimbo is married to playing him.
IDK whether Johnson or Weigman would give the Canes secondary more trouble. I do think they will use Achane right from the start to test the Canes run defense..

As for Miami, I would think this loss might give the team a little more confidence they can win this game. Makes TAMU more of a "regular" game versus some big marquee matchup ,if that makes any sense. From everything said yesterday TVD and the offense seem focused and I believe they will put in a good week of practice. I don't worry about Steele and his defensive game plan; the bigger issue is the secondary and if Jimbo's QB- whoever it ends up being- can challenge them. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays multiple QBs...

I fully expect it to be a wild scene there next week...

Does the loss to App State deflate A&M or act as a motivator? Does it shake A&M's confidence and embolden UM? Is there more pressure now on A&M than on Miami to win the game?

My experience has been that being a victim of a mild or moderate upset upset angers and motivates a team. (witness Utah putting up 45 in the first half yesterday) ...but to a huge underdog (and at home ) often will shake a team so bad, they lose motivation.

What do y'all think, the A&M loss help or hurt our chances to beat them?

My call UM 27 A&M 21......saw alot of mental mistakes by A&M during crunch time, They are the ones who have to win our game and they did not look good under pressure yesterday. Couple that with a loss of confidence and I think it will be a tough day for A&M. Sure we have alot of pressure to win, but the loss takes away the cloak of invincibilty A&M has at home with the 12th man.
Gotta say the TaM loss acts a a motivator for the players and coaches. They gotta know that this is literally a make or break game for the rest of their season, with a nationwide nighttime audience watching. Still, if the Canes play the way they‘re capable of playing and can avoid mistakes and miscues, then no reason we can’t beat them. It will be a dogfight for sure.

No clue what to think about this game. Both teams got caught looking ahead and it showed. Miami got it together in the 2nd half, but we still don’t know where this team really is.

assTmouth looked dreadful, but they’ve had top 10 recruiting classes for several years so there is talent there. Crowd will be lathered up.

I like our chances because we have the QB advantage by a wide margin, solid special teams play, and a lot of productive dlinemen.

Advertisement
Those guys are too busy riding around in their new shiny cars spending all their money to worry about a loss….doubt it makes a difference..

Playing TAMU right now is like having a boxing match against a girl. If you win, everyone will say, "So what, you beat up a girl." If you lose, everyone will make fun of you.

If we beat TAMU now, the pundits will say, "TAMU is a terrible overrated team that couldn't even beat a G5 at home. It's not an impressive win." If we lose, we will never hear the end of it. Losing to a school that just lost to a G5? Yikes. We'll probably fall out of the top 25 and have to claw our way back in.

So yes, TAMU losing upped the stakes for us. In terms of how it affects TAMU, I don't think the loss makes a big difference. They will be just as motivated as they were before losing to the App Store.

It's a night game at home for them... They'll be beyond pumped for it.... Will it matter??? Who knows.... What does matter is WE have to be ready...

Advertisement
Back