Irrelevance?

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5

Sophomore
Premium
I don't get the whole irrelevant for a decade deal.

The Canes were solid contenders until 2005, we underachieved in 04 (AP11) and 05 (AP17) but we still had 9 wins each season. Not up to our standards but not irrelevant. FSU finished 11th this season.

In 2009 we went 9-4(AP19) took a step back in 2010 but, going into the 2011 season we had a squad that had really high expectations. Then Nevingate went down and the season went in the ******* with all the suspensions. Still, we had a shot to win every game that season. Had we gone into the season without distractions and suspensions who knows how the year might have turned out. I still believe had the scandal not taken place that Miami would have won at least 10 games in 2011.

I know we haven't been a dominant team in 8 or so years and have not been a national spotlight team since J12's Sophomore season but, we were relevant early in J12's college career. If you want to date Miami's "irrelevance" I would point at Jacory's Jr campaign as the start and carry it through now, acknowledging the impact of the scandal.

Just sayin' don't let the last three seasons or all these []_[] haters get in your head. We aren't where we want to be but, it has only been a handful of years since we were a nationally relevant team.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1355912 said:

The Canes were solid contenders until 2005, we underachieved in 04 (AP11) and 05 (AP17) but we still had 9 wins each season. Not up to our standards but not irrelevant. FSU finished 11th this season.

In 2009 we went 9-4(AP19) took a step back in 2010 but, going into the 2011 season we had a squad that had really high expectations. Then Nevingate went down and the season went in the ****ter with all the suspensions. Still, we had a shot to win every game that season. Had we gone into the season without distractions and suspensions who knows how the year might have turned out. I still believe had the scandal not taken place that Miami would have won at least 10 games in 2011.

I know we haven't been a dominant team in 8 or so years and have not been a national spotlight team since J12's Sophomore season but, we were relevant early in J12's college career. If you want to date Miami's "irrelevance" I would point at Jacory's Jr campaign as the start and carry it through now, acknowledging the impact of the scandal.

Just sayin' don't let the last three seasons or all these []_[] haters get in your head. We aren't where we want to be but, it has only been a handful of years since we were a nationally relevant team.

We haven't won the ACC Coastal Division.

We have won 2 bowl games since the 2004 season.

Zero first round draft picks since 2009.

41-33 record since 2007

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1355912 said:

In 2009 we went 9-4(AP19) took a step back in 2010 but, going into the 2011 season we had a squad that had really high expectations. Then Nevingate went down and the season went in the ******* with all the suspensions. Still, we had a shot to win every game that season. Had we gone into the season without distractions and suspensions who knows how the year might have turned out. I still believe had the scandal not taken place that Miami would have won at least 10 games in 2011.

Very true and I think you have the timeline just right. 2010 was the year our relevance due to having been a major power wore off.

This is a mediocre program now, and one who can't sign local recruits even though they are the only game in town.

I think we're more infamous than irrelevant right now.

But, as the infamy fades, we better start winning big again. In the current arms race of college football, mediocrity is just a few million dollars away.

@BG not pickin a fight just bein positive

We were close in 04 and 05 and VT was a good team during that span, also in the running in 2009, woulda been in 2011 w/o the scandal, and this season FWIW

Our bowl record since 2004 is 2-4 with close losses to Cal and Wisconsin. That is crappy no matter how you slice it. Bowl games are a legitimate gripe but, they don't mean everything.

Miami is still producing NFL players even if they aren't earning high draft status. Exs Jimmy Graham, Sam Shields, Calais Campbell, Orlando Franklin and there are some other guys still grinding trying to make it. Hank, Streeter, Vernon, Miller etc.

There was a 9-4 year in the 41-33 record and we had the sanction year as well. This year was the exodus year with all the Shannon Jrs optin for the NFL.

I don't consider relevance something that is easily described by the numbers. Especially under our unique circumstances the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that we haven't had a rough few years but it hasn't been a full on decade since Miami had a team with Nationally recognized players that was considered able to contend for an ACC title. I point to 2009, 2010 even though we **** the bed, and 2011 until the scandal. Coming into this season the media took their chance to dump all over this team and trumpet the fall of our program and we still came out and came within 5 points of getting 9 wins with a bunch of Sophomores and Freshmen.

Regardless of the current state of the program I still know J12 was a pre-season Heisman contender at one-point, we are producing some great talent even if the draft statuses haven't reflected it, and Miami was considered a contender in the ACC as recently as 2010 or 2011 (pre-scandal)

Again I'm not saying we are relevant right now, although we should be relevant in the ACC this coming season. I'm not trying to refute your points, the numbers are not flattering. I just think there is more to it than the flat out numbers and that we were trending upward until the scandal hit us and knocked us back to square one.

Advertisement
Not picking a fight either.

Female shouldered dudes just get mad when they hear an opinion different from theirs.

Not picking a fight either.

Female shouldered dudes just get mad when they hear an opinion different from theirs.

I was responding to the other BG. Your post was a little inflammatory with the whole recruiting angle. Didn't really feel compelled to respond to it.

If Miami was "irrelevant" then Miami wouldn't be on everybody's mind. They know what this program is capable of that's why they bash this program every chance they get. All of the bashing in the world isn't going to keep Golden from building another monster down here. The NCAA shytstorm is almost over. When it is Golden is going to pull all the talent he needs to complete the master plan. This roster is going to be oozing talent like days of old. This team is so young and is going to get better and better with every game.

It's on! :cigar:

Advertisement
Ummmm.....up to miami standards we have been irrelevant. since 06 we have been a middle of the road team. When your losing to the virginias 3 str8 yrs and getting butt f'd by them at home, when ur playing close vs duke(i dont care how much they improved, and we almost lost to them in 06), Virginia tech been hammer timing us most of the time in the acc, fsu scraped us 6 out of 9 times in the acc, and there was a time when GT ran for like 1000 yards on us in 1 game. we have been a midlde of the road team since we been in the acc....hopefully we turn that around this yr, but most likely i see a resurgence in 14, hopefully!!!!!

If Miami was "irrelevant" then Miami wouldn't be on everybody's mind. They know what this program is capable of that's why they bash this program every chance they get. All of the bashing in the world isn't going to keep Golden from building another monster down here. The NCAA shytstorm is almost over. When it is Golden is going to pull all the talent he needs to complete the master plan. This roster is going to be oozing talent like days of old. This team is so young and is going to get better and better with every game.

It's on! :cigar:

Tough part is most don't know the meaning of the word irrelevant. They like to throw it around in an attempt to bash the program.

Advertisement
Back