Interview of Coach Larranaga on "Marching to Madness"

My point is that Stone played on the 3pl because that was his job. If his coach didn't want him there he wouldn't be there. By virtue of doing that his rebounding would naturally suffer.

He is playing to his strengths. There is a reason he doesn't hang around under the basket, he isn't good at it.

Stone then was replaced by a freshman who was 3 inches shorter (prior to the injury) because Stone couldn't provide them with what they needed as well as the freshman.

Secondly you can't just go around deciding who is a big man and who isn't. Their size and position define that. Sam will play the stretch 4. Stone will not be playing small forward for the same reason that Sam won't, they can't defend the position. For better or for worse these are our bigs. Could more competition make them better? Sure.

Oh so basically we're in desperate need for REAL big men. Got it.

I've got to believe that if Coach L saw somebody he liked who could help that was also interested in being here, he'd be here. One of these criteria isn't being met.

Or perhaps he isn't good at roster management because we've had issues (just with our roster, not referring to just big men) going on 4-5 seasons now. These same issues remain.

Advertisement
He is playing to his strengths. There is a reason he doesn't hang around under the basket, he isn't good at it.

Stone then was replaced by a freshman who was 3 inches shorter (prior to the injury) because Stone couldn't provide them with what they needed as well as the freshman.

Oh so basically we're in desperate need for REAL big men. Got it.

Or perhaps he isn't good at roster management because we've had issues (just with our roster, not referring to just big men) going on 4-5 seasons now. These same issues remain.

Stone WILL be a forward for us. He will be asked to rebound more than he was asked at UF. And I expect him to do better. Sam will play forward as well. Whether you think that they are REAL big men, talented or not is your opinion and won't change the fact that they will play big men positions for us this fall.

We can use help for sure but I am still against bringing in bodies for the sake of bringing in bodies. Seems like we agree as you are spending your time dissing the front court guy we did bring in (Stone). And yet you want more fringe players to fill out the roster??

Stone WILL be a forward for us. He will be asked to rebound more than he was asked at UF. And I expect him to do better. Sam will play forward as well. Whether you think that they are REAL big men, talented or not is your opinion and won't change the fact that they will play big men positions for us this fall.

Cool beans. He plays like a guard. The actual on the court performance of Stone and Sam indicate that they struggle to bang down low.

We can use help for sure but I am still against bringing in bodies for the sake of bringing in bodies.

Please explain why you would rather have NO ONE then a grad transfer. Then again, you believe it wouldn't be beneficial to have additional 6'9 big men who averaged 8 PPG on the team (via transfer).

Seems like we agree as you are spending your time dissing the front court guy we did bring in (Stone). And yet you want more fringe players to fill out the roster??

No. Again, he isn't a big man. We can play him at the 4/5, he still isn't a big man. This is based on his actual performance in college. This is based on an actual 6'5 freshman stealing his burn. Sure, we can play Stone at the 4/5. We can play Lykes at the 4/5. Anyone can play at the 4/5 but it doesn't mean that they can actually play the positions.

I am for bringing in people who can actually bang down low and provide burn.

This really is going nowhere. Take me back to that part where we couldn't use some additional 6'9 big men who averaged 8 PPG.

Cool beans. He plays like a guard. The actual on the court performance of Stone and Sam indicate that they struggle to bang down low.
LOL!! If at 6'8 250 he played like a guard you'd love this guy! He plays on the perimeter. He does not play like a guard. A freshman beating him means he isn't very talented. But yeah he averaged 8ppg and yet you're still complaining which i don't get. Is your complaint that we need more of him or less?

Please explain why you would rather have NO ONE then a grad transfer. Then again, you believe it wouldn't be beneficial to have additional 6'9 big men who averaged 8 PPG on the team (via transfer).

i think that Sam will give us the points we could get from a transfer. I think that Gak and the freshman will be more talented than you think. I get it they are either unproven or recovering from injuries. Coach L is monitoring the situation though. If he thought he needed more guys why aren't they here? Is Coach L incompetent all of a sudden?

No. Again, he isn't a big man. We can play him at the 4/5, he still isn't a big man. This is based on his actual performance in college. This is based on an actual 6'5 freshman stealing his burn. Sure, we can play Stone at the 4/5. We can play Lykes at the 4/5. Anyone can play at the 4/5 but it doesn't mean that they can actually play the positions.

Nobody with an ounce of common sense would consider Lykes a big man. You're going to far to make your point. Its not just positional skills its the physical ability to play the position.

I am for bringing in people who can actually bang down low and provide burn.

Ahh so finally you own your definition. Somebody who can bang is considered a big man. Maybe you'd like Coach L to bring in a Gary Hamilton type. Fair enough. Its certainly not the only definition of a big man but you are entitled to your own.

This really is going nowhere. Take me back to that part where we couldn't use some additional 6'9 big men who averaged 8 PPG.

Advertisement
Please format your porst above so it can actually be read.

Otherwise, we don't need any additional 6'9 big men who averaged 8 PPG.
No thanks. If its unclear what I'm saying then its probably better left unsaid. I understand your point. Just don't agree. We can leave it at that.

If and when healthy, Stone will contribute nicely for Miami. He and Walker should be very good coming off the bench for Miami to start the season. If he is completely healthy then he will probably push Sam Wardeenberg out of the starting lineup. The only question with Stone is when will he be cleared to play.

Having Brooks eligible this year adds depth to the front court especially with the inexperience of Miller and the injury to Gak. Would another grad transfer big help, absolutely regardless of whether or not Brooks is eligible. Not unless Miami thinks a kid from the 2020 class is going to reclass to the 2019 recruiting class. Having Brooks tie up a scholarship for two years when he is a role player is really a bad deal. Miami really needs 5 scholarships for the very deep and talented 2020 recruiting class.

We as fans will learn a lot more in a few days when Miami heads to Italy for those four exhibition games.

Would have liked to have seen at least one proven guy at the true four or five. Sometimes I wonder if there is a crazy conspiracy to save the scholarship money.

Sam is nothing more than a soft stretch four and relying on Stone is iffy. Hopefully Walker is the real deal.

Gak and Miller (groan) at the 5...

Would have liked to have seen at least one proven guy at the true four or five. Sometimes I wonder if there is a crazy conspiracy to save the scholarship money.

Sam is nothing more than a soft stretch four and relying on Stone is iffy. Hopefully Walker is the real deal.

It should not be a money issue as every D-1 school is allowed 13 guys on scholarship. Plus, Miami gets close to 20 million dollars from the ACC every year. My only thought and I am probably wrong is that Coach L wants guys to wait their turn and play but in this age of go where I can play now, guys transfer and I don't blame them. Coach L really has not been aggressive about using all 13 scholarship since Manu Leconte and James Palmer transferred out of the program. Failure to use all 13 scholarships has been a problem for the past 5 seasons if not longer.

If money was an issue then you would think Miami would play more in-state schools in the non-conference schedule to reduce travel cost. Money cannot be the issue. I could be wrong but that is what I think.

Advertisement

Coach gets to keep 50% of the savings.

Advertisement
Back