Interesting read and possible foreshadowing............

LatinCane

Sophomore
Pete Thamel NY Times article from 2011. SIAP.

High School Football Recruiting’s New Face
By PETE THAMEL
Published: March 5, 2011
RECOMMEND
TWITTER
LINKEDIN
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

HALLANDALE, Fla. — Sony Michel is still a high school freshman, yet he has shown flashes of Hall of Fame potential. A tailback for American Heritage in Plantation, Fla., Michel has rushed for 39 touchdowns and nearly 3,500 yards in two varsity seasons.

“He’s on par to be Emmitt Smith, on par to be Deion Sanders, on par to be Jevon Kearse,” said Larry Blustein, a recruiting analyst for The Miami Herald who has covered the beat for 40 years. “He’ll be one of the legendary players in this state.”

Michel’s recruitment will also be a test case for a rapidly evolving college football landscape. The proliferation of seven-on-seven nonscholastic football has transformed the high school game, once defined by local rivalries, state championships and the occasional all-star game, into a national enterprise.

With Nike and Under Armour sponsoring teams and ESPNU providing coverage, seven-on-seven football, which is played with no helmets, pads or linemen, has grown quickly in the past three years. Michel plays for the South Florida Express, which attracted more than 190 players and about 40 reporters for its first day of tryouts in February.

Seven-on-seven, once a niche off-season sport run by high schools to keep players in shape, concerns coaches who fear its potential to develop a recruiting culture similar to basketball’s. Many top basketball players are controlled by unscrupulous third parties and street agents.

“Crossroads is probably an appropriate word,” Urban Meyer, the former University of Florida coach, said. “College football is doing great, and it’s the second-most-popular sport in the country, but there’s some things we have to get our arms around.”

The main concern, shared by Meyer, Texas Coach Mack Brown, Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly and many prominent high school coaches, is the proliferation of third parties and street agents. Those third parties are showing up in the form of nonscholastic seven-on-seven teams and off-season trainers as football drifts from its high school roots.

“The seven-on-seven stuff concerns me,” Kelly said. “It does have an appearance of separating from the high school coach. In football, the head football coach is still relevant. I don’t know if that’s the case in basketball.”

The situation has also caught the attention of the N.C.A.A.

“I think the outside third parties for both sports are a huge concern,” said Rachel Newman Baker, the N.C.A.A. director for agent, gambling and amateurism activities. “They really are the problem, from multiple levels. They have student-athletes’ and their families’ ears.”

Those fears intensified last week when the University of Oregon admitted to paying $25,000 to Will Lyles, who runs a Houston-based scouting service. He essentially directed the recruitment of the freshman tailback Lache Seastrunk. The Ducks also paid $3,745 to Baron Flenory, who runs Badger Sports Elite seven-on-seven camps. The payments, first reported by Yahoo, were cleared by Oregon’s compliance department. Although technically within N.C.A.A. rules, the payments were seen as a sign that football’s recruiting model is becoming more like basketball’s, in which college coaches are beholden to third parties.

“We’re starting to see the surgical removal of high school football coaches from recruiting,” said Chris Merritt, the coach at Columbus High School in Miami. “The sport of football is slowly turning into basketball, from the street agents to A.A.U.-type football.”

That presents challenges for some college coaches. Lyles reportedly accompanied Seastrunk on some visits to colleges, including Texas. Brown declined to comment on Lyles but said he refused to deal with street agents.

“I’m sure that it’s hurt us on some players,” Brown said. “But I also feel like until everything gets legitimized, I don’t want a player on our team who I don’t know who the parents are. I don’t know who he’s listening to. If you get an agent involved in your program, then he’s involved. That scares me. I worry some about the street agents.”

Brown said he had seen cases in which a street agent who was involved with a high school player had ties to professional agents or tried to become the player’s agent. “I’ve seen it on three kids each of the last two years,” Brown said. “So far, that’s not a big enough impact on us to change our lives.”

Before leaving Florida in December, Meyer said, he saw a change.

“In the last year and a half, it’s accelerated to the point where at least every day or every other day we were having discussions about third parties and how to handle situations that weren’t there several years ago,” he said.

Seeing high school players tied to professional agents is common in basketball, as agents have long sponsored or been involved with summer teams.

Newman Baker of the N.C.A.A. said a flurry of agent-related scandals last summer at North Carolina, South Carolina and Alabama raised an alarm.

“That is not new news to me,” she said of third parties with ties to N.F.L. agents in high school football. “And obviously that’s a concern for us, especially given what we’ve been through in the last year in that area as well.”

Brett Goetz coaches the Express, one of the country’s elite seven-on-seven teams. He works in financial services and has run the Express as a hobby for four years. Goetz is proud of having built it into a model program in terms of publicity, talent and on-field success.

He welcomed the N.C.A.A. to the February tryout; the organization has been sending representatives around the country to better understand the seven-on-seven phenomenon. Goetz said that he operated his program with integrity and transparency, but that he was not naïve to perceptions of the sport.

“There’s a big black cloud hanging over this whole thing that makes me uncomfortable,” Goetz said. “It seems like it’s evolving too fast.”

A scene on the second day of the tryout offered a window into seven-on-seven’s power. One of Goetz’s assistants, Jon Drummond, put Miramar High cornerback Tracy Howard on the phone with assistant coaches at Miami and Florida. Howard is a junior, so college coaches cannot call him. But it is legal for Drummond to connect coaches with Howard, who is considered the country’s top cornerback prospect.

Asked if college coaches needed to court their seven-on-seven counterparts the way they talked to high school coaches, Drummond said, “They better.”

“I think it’s just as important as high school football,” Drummond said of seven-on-seven. “It makes recruiting easier. You don’t have to search for coaches; they search for you.”

High school coaches scoff at that notion because they do not consider seven-on-seven real football. Yet South Florida coaches are concerned that players will transfer to schools through coaches they meet playing seven-on-seven. Jeff Bertani, the coach at North Miami Beach, said it contributed to the region’s Wild West recruiting reputation.

“The street agents are now going by the terms of seven-on-seven coaches,” he said, referring to no one in particular. “Before, these guys were advisers and mentors. Now they can say, ‘I’m coaching the team.’ ”

Top recruits like Michel and Howard see only the benefits of playing top competition and traveling. They loved playing for Goetz.

“When you do good in seven-on-seven, you get more recruiting hype,” Michel said. “That’s what got my name out there.”

But for college football recruiting to avoid ending up like basketball’s, Meyer said, no magic solution or N.C.A.A. legislation exists.

“There’s a lot of people wondering how we can control this,” he said. “It’s not an easy question to answer.”

A version of this article appeared in print on March 6, 2011, on page SP1 of the New York edition with the headline: New Face of Recruiting Worries Coaches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I stated previously in another thread, this is Al's major problem.

Al is outstanding when it's time to get in front of a young man's family or one of those 20-40 year high school coaches, who are basically football lifers. Al is awesome in that circumstance and he's able to appeal to that crowd.

The PROBLEM is, that structure is beginning to dwindle. More and more, I read about a particular recruit's "camp". Not his family, or his support system, or his high school coach, or his guidance counselor. It's about his uncles, brothers, close friends, and the 7 on 7 scum that latch on to these kids like parasites. Not to mention some of these hot shot high school coaches, who are only looking for a way to advance their own careers and who's first priority is not the development of his players. These people aren't interested in what's best for the kid. These people are agenda driven and out to cater to any number of biases or personal opportunities, as opposed to looking out for the best interest of the kid. The families like the "Howard's" or the kids like Duke Johnson are becoming fewer and farther between.

As I stated previously in another thread, this is Al's major problem.

Al is outstanding when it's time to get in front of a young man's family or one of those 20-40 year high school coaches, who are basically football lifers. Al is awesome in that circumstance and he's able to appeal to that crowd.

The PROBLEM is, that structure is beginning to dwindle. More and more, I read about a particular recruit's "camp". Not his family, or his support system, or his high school coach, or his guidance counselor. It's about his uncles, brothers, close friends, and the 7 on 7 scum that latch on to these kids like parasites. Not to mention some of these hot shot high school coaches, who are only looking for a way to advance their own careers and who's first priority is not the development of his players. These people aren't interested in what's best for the kid. These people are agenda driven and out to cater to any number of biases or personal opportunities, as opposed to looking out for the best interest of the kid. The families like the "Howard's" or the kids like Duke Johnson are becoming fewer and farther between.

Spot. On.

Advertisement
Just so you guys know. Goetz is just as dirty as Drummond. He just has a better image bc he does his dealings behind closed doors and doesn't stir up the public through social media.

It's really sad. The kids are brainwashed. 7-7 only exposes you when the "handlers" take the "team" to college campuses.

Plain and simple. If a kid is talented, he will be recognized and noticed. If he is a little under the radar then he needs to hit college camps like "Train like a Cane". Some will always fall through the crack, but in today's day and age of social media, very few do.

I think this issue could be resolved, but mang things would need to change. --

1. Drop 7-7 all together or have rules and regulations that need to be followed like normal HS coaches do.

2. HS's should be educating parents on the recruiting process and the possible events of dealing with "street agents".

3. HS coaches need to be more strict with their players. See above. Educated families and players.

4. Early signing day would eliminate a lot of bullsheet. Valentine wouldn't have flipped 5 times if signing day was in September. Street agents have less time to get in players ears. Families and kids are forced to make descisions earlier. No more visiting a school a millions times. Also 5 official visits need to be cut to 3 IMO.

The NCAA could easily create rules to curb some of this stuff but Mark Emmert and the NCAA is 100x dirtier than Genron or any of these street agents are.

Shenanigans..
Long live the greats who didn't put up with this bs..

619.jpg

Advertisement
Adapt or die.

Exactly why James Coley is/was such a big hire.

Really cannot be overstated how big of a hire James Coley was. I have no doubt at all he learns more and becomes a better play caller, but the guy is a natural and a guru in the recruiting world. He really, really is. He forms relationships with kids that other coaches couldn't dream of having.

This '15 class is when we are going to see Coleys magic actually come to fruition for the first time. He is already and will continue to kill it with this class.

Great article... These guys are known entities. It's just a matter of time before someone roles over on them, they are just too plain dumb!!!

Advertisement
Just so you guys know. Goetz is just as dirty as Drummond. He just has a better image bc he does his dealings behind closed doors and doesn't stir up the public through social media.

It's really sad. The kids are brainwashed. 7-7 only exposes you when the "handlers" take the "team" to college campuses.

Plain and simple. If a kid is talented, he will be recognized and noticed. If he is a little under the radar then he needs to hit college camps like "Train like a Cane". Some will always fall through the crack, but in today's day and age of social media, very few do.

I think this issue could be resolved, but mang things would need to change. --

1. Drop 7-7 all together or have rules and regulations that need to be followed like normal HS coaches do.

2. HS's should be educating parents on the recruiting process and the possible events of dealing with "street agents".

3. HS coaches need to be more strict with their players. See above. Educated families and players.

4. Early signing day would eliminate a lot of bullsheet. Valentine wouldn't have flipped 5 times if signing day was in September. Street agents have less time to get in players ears. Families and kids are forced to make descisions earlier. No more visiting a school a millions times. Also 5 official visits need to be cut to 3 IMO.

Goetz is reported to be an Ohio State/Urbie slurper, as is the reporter of the original NYT article. Only requires a quick google search to make some of the connections.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back