Interesting note about "stars..."

Every year, there's like 25 five star kids, and thousands and thousands of two stars or lower.

Considering this, why is it a surprise that there's more two star or lower kids in the NFL? Shouldn't that be expected?
Yes, it should be expected. The point is that the "star" system failed to identify any of those Super Bowl players mentioned by the OP. There is more talent in the 3 star pool than in all the 4 and 5s together. A coach who can evaluate talent will find them because "he isn't looking at the number of star", he's evaluating a prospect. People who complain about 2 and 3 star players are missing the point. Successful coaches do not pick players randomly off a star list.
The truth is in between you guys's views.

The key points to understand are information asymmetry and uncertainty.

Information asymmetry speaks to what fans can know vs. What coaches might think. Coaches make specific evaluations of kids, but just because they take a 3* kid doesn't mean they think they won lotto with him. There aren't that many four and five star kids, and oftentimes preferred options go elsewhere. So as far as what a fan can assess from afar, star rankings are not a bad measure of a class. It's directionally accurate, on average.

As for uncertainty, keep in mind that we're talking probabilities here. The future is uncertain. Five star kids are more likely to pan out than three star kids. Likewise, a coach may like a three star kid a lot and think he's underrated, but he doesn't know for sure he's right. finally, stars for the most part reflect the average consensus of coaches views, not reporters views. So there's some validity in that averaging.

Everyone likes to point out that specific evals can trump stars, and it's true in any given case, but not on average, of course. If all fan bases are excited about the three star kids in their classes, then on average, they're going to be disappointed. That is critical. The question with al golden is how good an evaluator is he? If he's very good, then we can be excited about the kids he gets whatever their rankings, the way you could be if butch were your coach. But if he's just average at evals, then the laws of probability will catch up with him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Almost anyone, even your grandmas, can watch a football game long enough or give kids the look test and divide the kids into 3 groups with one group being the best, and so on.

They will miss on some, but overall be "statistically" right. Some kids ANYONE can spot. So the argument that the rating have merit by the star chasers on the web make me laugh. Plus the sites boost kids based on the offers as well, so its even less objective.

If that's not enough, it been ADMITTED, by the very people who RANK these kids, that they cook the books all the time to boost the ratings of the websites with large subscription bases. Knowing that, I am not sure what kind of person would defend the internet rankings, if not a "star chaser." That's the definition of.. well, use your imagination.

Internet website recruiting evaluators are just fans. They aren't employed as real journalists by any major sports media company, and they aren't even HS position coaches. They are former mailmen and fry guys... fans, who are unemployable by any metric by any real journalistic or sports industry standard. Any one of them would kill for a real job in sports. They squeak out a living off these rabid fan bases. Its entertainment purposes only.

You need to be able to evaluate, period. The very highest ranked class in UM history was LITERALLY its worst... Erickson's #1 class. And we can go on and on with that.

The Patriots had a team go 15-4 made up of 50% zero-2 stars. Repeat, we're not taking about a list of NFL no-stars, we're taking about over two dozen on ONE SUPER BOWL TEAM. They are all over the NFL and starring at plenty of colleges.

People can defend the star system and a bunch of low grade want-to-be reporters all they want, but anyone who actually makes a real living in football would laugh. What kind of program would let these yahoo's essentially decide who they recruit? A program with a new coaching staff coming down the pike pretty soon, that's who.
Your logic is awful here. If all you're saying is you want to give AG the benefit of the doubt on his specific evaluations until proven otherwise, fine, great, we all agree (or most do).

But as to the system generally, your comments aren't logical. You acknowledge that dividing kids into talent pools makes sense. You even claim its easy. Let's pause there. How do you go from that to concluding there's no information about kids based on which pool they've come from? Are you confused about the difference between probability and certainty?

You criticize the rating systems, and they surely have flaws, but (a) you started by acknowledging that the idea of dividing kids by talent is so easy your grandmother could do it, and (b) we know for a fact that the rating systems, however imperfect they are, are not bad at the divisions (5* kids out perform 4* kids who outperform 3* kids and so on, on average of course).

The reality is that the biggest bias in the rating systems is towards what offers a kid has, but this actually undermines your core criticism -- it takes the judgment away from the fry guys you reference and towards professional evaluators (college coaches). Kids who have offers from Alabama, USC, FSU, LSU and so on tend to be better prospects than kids who have mid-major offer lists. There are lots of potential reasons for the differences, and some kids have more risk and more upside, and some have grade issues, and so on, and evaluations are imperfect anyhow ... but for all that, the system IS directionally accurate.

The flaw most people make is in getting so worked up by the star whores they let their own logic fly out the window. Star whores are idiots, but the response isn't that 2*s are just as good as 5*s. It's that it's about evaluations, first and foremost, and needs and fit in addition. AG understands that.

Finally, coaching staffs may well ignore rating services because they know who they want. Fans do not have access to their evaluations, nor their rankings (to know who they missed on), so they're judging with less info. I understand the fans who avoid recruiting entirely as a result. But for those who want to follow recruiting, the rating services provide helpful info and a framework to assess it. What I don't get is why you'd bother follow recruiting but then not be willing to have a perspective on whether the staffs doing it well. That's strange to me.

I was going to bother responding to Bomb's (il)logical leap but Ethnicsands beat me to it. So I just quoted it and repped him.

Every year, there's like 25 five star kids, and thousands and thousands of two stars or lower.

Considering this, why is it a surprise that there's more two star or lower kids in the NFL? Shouldn't that be expected?

It's not a surprise, but what you end up seeing is proportions. With tens of thousands of kids three star or lower (each YEAR), it's not surprising to see them make up the vast majority of NFL rosters. What is also not surprising is to watch first round draft picks every year. If 50% of them are four- and five-star prospects, and only 300 out of those tens of thousands of yearly prospects are four- and five-star kids, looks like they tend to pan out pretty well. Like Bomb said though, anyone's grandma can do that. I just don't know why that means we should completely ignore rankings and ratings.

Truth be told however, the sentiment that has summed up this entire thread for me?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ethnicsands again.

Whether they have stars or not doesn't mean much, you still need to assess the intangibles. As an example is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Duke as a five star will be a star because of his internal drive. By the same token is there anyone who thinks that Feliciano as a three star won't be a line leader and may be the best OL we have, same thing no doubt because of his internal drive and motor. We have two two stars in this class (according to Scout and Briscoe had none on Rivals until after he committed), the two stars are Gunter and D Jones both of whom I think are very good athletes and will be contributors to this team and could bloom into stars. We shall wait and see. My take is if the kids athletic and have drive and willingness to learn, then Golden and Co will build them into players and stars.

Yes, it should be expected. The point is that the "star" system failed to identify any of those Super Bowl players mentioned by the OP. There is more talent in the 3 star pool than in all the 4 and 5s together. A coach who can evaluate talent will find them because "he isn't looking at the number of star", he's evaluating a prospect. People who complain about 2 and 3 star players are missing the point. Successful coaches do not pick players randomly off a star list.
Yes, there are specific 3 star and lower kids that have NFL potential. But no evaluator, no matter how good he is, is capable of batting a thousand on all his evaluations. Simply put, if you want to assemble the most talented roster possible (which is not necessarily the goal of every college coach, of course), if you try to find all the diamonds in the rough, you have a lower margin of error. 4 and 5 star kids pan out at a hugely higher proportion than 3 star and lower kids. People who say they don't care about recruiting rankings and stars at all probably lack a good understanding of probability.

Now, is it possible that all your 3 star or lower commits pan out and all your 4 and 5 star commits bust? Yes. There's a finite possibility of this. There's a finite possibility that if you flip a coin 10 times, you land on tails every time. People need to understand that there are no guarantees from high school to college, or from college to the NFL. Every time you change environments, there is a chance that things go wrong. But you sure as **** should feel more confident with a roster full of 4 and 5 star kids than you would with a roster full of 2 and 3 star kids.

Advertisement
The real problem is the inherent difficulty in identifying who playmakers are, and than seeing who can really ball out on the field at a higher level.

It is hard to tell, thus the confusion with stars.

Almost anyone, even your grandmas, can watch a football game long enough or give kids the look test and divide the kids into 3 groups with one group being the best, and so on.

They will miss on some, but overall be "statistically" right. Some kids ANYONE can spot. So the argument that the rating have merit by the star chasers on the web make me laugh. Plus the sites boost kids based on the offers as well, so its even less objective.

If that's not enough, it been ADMITTED, by the very people who RANK these kids, that they cook the books all the time to boost the ratings of the websites with large subscription bases. Knowing that, I am not sure what kind of person would defend the internet rankings, if not a "star chaser." That's the definition of.. well, use your imagination.

Internet website recruiting evaluators are just fans. They aren't employed as real journalists by any major sports media company, and they aren't even HS position coaches. They are former mailmen and fry guys... fans, who are unemployable by any metric by any real journalistic or sports industry standard. Any one of them would kill for a real job in sports. They squeak out a living off these rabid fan bases. Its entertainment purposes only.

You need to be able to evaluate, period. The very highest ranked class in UM history was LITERALLY its worst... Erickson's #1 class. And we can go on and on with that.

The Patriots had a team go 15-4 made up of 50% zero-2 stars. Repeat, we're not taking about a list of NFL no-stars, we're taking about over two dozen on ONE SUPER BOWL TEAM. They are all over the NFL and starring at plenty of colleges.

People can defend the star system and a bunch of low grade want-to-be reporters all they want, but anyone who actually makes a real living in football would laugh. What kind of program would let these yahoo's essentially decide who they recruit? A program with a new coaching staff coming down the pike pretty soon, that's who.

That was the best argument against the star system I've ever heard... great post

Advertisement
It's also foolish to think that the choices are a bunch of 3* guys with heart versus 5* guys with no heart. How about give me a bunch of 5* guys with heart? Just sayin...and also just sayin that Ethnic Sands is right in this thread.

The star system is a beauty contest. Not without merit, but mostly for entertainment.

When you boil it all down, while higher stars are no guarantee there is a correlation between stars and success in college.

All that said, I really don't see much difference between 4-star and 5-star. The gap between the two can be awfully narrow.

Advertisement
Back