Interesting Article on the Batting Order

Advertisement
On how the batting order has evolved and what good ideas there are moving forward

Thanks for the interesting article on The U Baseball. The key question is: Do we have the goods this year to at least host a Super Regional or possibly get to the CWS?

Thanks for the interesting article on The U Baseball. The key question is: Do we have the goods this year to at least host a Super Regional or possibly get to the CWS?
Too early to tell but I am confident we will be back in the tournament this year,

So basically, we need to pick one from the list below and stick them at the end of the order.

Player avg ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi tb slg% bb so ob% sb-att
Michael Amditis .296 27 4 8 1 0 1 5 12 .444 8 4 .457 1-2
Chad Crosbie .267 15 2 4 0 0 0 1 4 .267 1 4 .313 2-2
Tony Jenkins .257 35 10 9 1 0 0 4 10 .286 5 5 .357 6-6

It would be nice if two other players that were capable starters last year (Cloonan and Quinones) would come around to solidify that last spot.

The Idea of putting Zamora in the lead-off spot (AND NOT CHANGING HIS APPROACH) would be a slam dunk IMO. I think Lala can do the job but having a steady hand at the bottom really helps turn things over

Advertisement
This is in all likelihood a tournament team, hosting also possible. Will we make it to Omaha? Hard to tell this early. I do think we make it back soon, this year or soon after.

So basically, we need to pick one from the list below and stick them at the end of the order.

Player avg ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi tb slg% bb so ob% sb-att
Michael Amditis .296 27 4 8 1 0 1 5 12 .444 8 4 .457 1-2
Chad Crosbie .267 15 2 4 0 0 0 1 4 .267 1 4 .313 2-2
Tony Jenkins .257 35 10 9 1 0 0 4 10 .286 5 5 .357 6-6

It would be nice if two other players that were capable starters last year (Cloonan and Quinones) would come around to solidify that last spot.
Amditis already has the fourth-best OBP despite his relatively lower average.

Yeah, Amditis has slightly improved from 2017. ACC play around the corner for all of them.

The Idea of putting Zamora in the lead-off spot (AND NOT CHANGING HIS APPROACH) would be a slam dunk IMO. I think Lala can do the job but having a steady hand at the bottom really helps turn things over

I think this would be a mistake. Lala could be a productive lead-off hitter on this team for 4 years. I'd leave him there. Despite the recent strikeouts, his speed and base-stealing ability are a perfect fit to disrupt starting pitchers early in the game and get early leads.

Advertisement
I like Lala at leadoff too. But I would definitely like to see the middle of the order moved up. Maybe have Zamora batting 2nd and Toral 3rd.

Lala's on base percentage is also a huge factor. He has 11 walks. All I know is I don't know how they plan on keeping Gates out of the batting lineup. The kid looked like a grown man at the plate on Sunday. Big true freshman, compact swing from the left side. Impressive to see live. This is a really good ballclub in the making and I mean really good. DiMare interview on Monday evening he flat out understands he has defensive issues in the field he is trying to address. I believe the lineup changes are just as much that as it is about the perfect hitting order. No accident Jenkins was pulled from Sunday's lineup.

Lala's on base percentage is also a huge factor. He has 11 walks. All I know is I don't know how they plan on keeping Gates out of the batting lineup. The kid looked like a grown man at the plate on Sunday. Big true freshman, compact swing from the left side. Impressive to see live. This is a really good ballclub in the making and I mean really good. DiMare interview on Monday evening he flat out understands he has defensive issues in the field he is trying to address. I believe the lineup changes are just as much that as it is about the perfect hitting order. No accident Jenkins was pulled from Sunday's lineup.

That is what I suspected as well. This team should have more than enough offense for the next couple of years; catching the ball will be the key to how far we go.

Advertisement
Back