Interesting (and surprising) stat re: LBs

Advertisement

From that article

*Just a single ACC defender this millennium has reached at least 300 total tackles with 40 tackles for loss and ten sacks in career: Miami great Sean Spence. Both Quarterman, first, and Pinckney are within range*

Last edited:
We are going to miss these guys when they are gone. This board, me included have nit picked their game for 3 years now but the reality is, they are really good players. We also currently don’t really have anyone behind them moving forward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not surprising to me... I’ve been saying Pinckney and Shaq were very good linebackers in coverage and elite overall. Most of this fan base will dck ride other teams players that are less talented while downing ours bc they’re not Ray Lewis 🤡

Agree with this. The irrational standard for our guys is always arguably the greatest MLB of all time. These two guys are really good. Hope they take one more step this year and get 1st team all-american honors.

Not surprising to me... I’ve been saying Pinckney and Shaq were very good linebackers in coverage and elite overall. Most of this fan base will dck ride other teams players that are less talented while downing ours bc they’re not Ray Lewis 🤡
I agree with some of this, they are not elite athletes at the position in terms of athleticism but they have been as productive as anyone in the country and a lot of folks on here take them for granted. Really solid duo

Shaqs at 249 tackles 11 sacks 31 tfls , 1 int in 3 seasons

Pinckney at 203 tackles 9.5 sacks 29.5 tfls, 3 ints in 3seasons

Last edited:
We are going to miss these guys when they are gone. This board, me included have not picked their game for 3 years now but the reality is, they are really good players. We also currently don’t really have anyone behind them moving forward.
Someone always steps up, all we really need is two true LBs anyways because of the striker position, gives a full year to groom the next crop.

Advertisement
Not surprising at all, some of us actually watch the games & understand football.

Fans just ****ride whatever the popular opinion is & all it takes is for a few people to say our LB's suck & the rest of the board just hops on the bandwagon.

We literally have had among the top 2 LB Corps in the ACC these last 2-3 years & all 3 are back as Seniors with tons of experience & starts.

Fans blame everything that goes wrong in the run game on the LB's but our struggles in stopping the run are more on the interior DLine than anything. Not saying the LB's are perfect, but they are far from the weak link of Defense & are actually probably our strongest unit in terms of actual experience & productivity.

Shaq & Pinckney are extremely underappreciated by this fanbase & deserve a lot of credit for the turn around of the Defense from the D'No era.

Not surprising at all, some of us actually watch the games & understand football.

Fans just ****ride whatever the popular opinion is & all it takes is for a few people to say our LB's suck & the rest of the board just hops on the bandwagon.

We literally have had among the top 2 LB Corps in the ACC these last 2-3 years & all 3 are back as Seniors with tons of experience & starts.

Fans blame everything that goes wrong in the run game on the LB's but our struggles in stopping the run are more on the interior DLine than anything. Not saying the LB's are perfect, but they are far from the weak link of Defense & are actually probably our strongest unit in terms of actual experience & productivity.

Shaq & Pinckney are extremely underappreciated by this fanbase & deserve a lot of credit for the turn around of the Defense from the D'No era.

It started with the overrated d-line coach in coach kool, you are exactly right on 2 points for sure, people on here quickly sac ride ridiculous post that are highly incorrect, for instance, coach kool being referred to or regarded as "the best d-line coach in America" was always one of the dumbest things i kept hearing, coach richt thought he was real good but coach richt like several of us who know football knew under him our d-line run defense wasnt good, coach richt let em know about it too, how can he be called "the best d-line coach in America" when his d-lines arent stopping the run and he couldnt recruit worth a nickel, which 2 your 2nd point, which is why our linebackers kept getting lost in the was on a consistent basis.

Coach kool leaves you had people on here panicking like females, and since their hate and disdain for every coach richt was high, i made the statement after coach cool left,im not worried coach richt has already proven he knows how to put a staff together, we'll be straight, in comes jess simpson, you had clowns complaining and making ghey *** statements it wasnt a "**** hire", those who talk like that need to be *** slapped. From the first time i saw coach jess coach, i said he's better than coach kool, we'll have a better run defense, which was going to improve our 3rd down and passing defense. Also coach jess had the right personality as well, so now,in comes coach stroud, i dont have a good opinion on him, do i think he'll do better than jess, time will tell, however i do believe he's a good teacher and our d-tackles will be more disruptive consistently under him, actually, from what i've seen, he's proven he could coach prior to coming here, i dont see us having a drop off, and he's a competitor, he not trying to be the weak link!

A M E N brother! I agree 100% with you.

Gloves are coming off!

Advertisement
Any reports on whether or not the S&C program is going to maybe lean them up just a tad for even MORE speed?

I know most like hearing about weight gains, but lighter is faster and quicker - and it may be my imagination - but it seems to me here and there that we're going for even MORE speed and quickness.

We got so lucky when Thriller and Quan came back. The three LBs never quite lived up to their Bermuda Triangle 2 hype. But them and Finley will be best in ACC no question in my mind.

Advertisement
We got so lucky when Thriller and Quan came back. The three LBs never quite lived up to their Bermuda Triangle 2 hype. But them and Finley will be best in ACC no question in my mind.

People put up these unheard of hype/expectations on players...then say they never lived up to the hype. Why were they the Bermuda Triangle 2 in the 1st place?

God forbid anyone speak the truth and say any of our beloved players aren’t 1st round caliber players. You will be blasted into oblivion and have your fan card revoked because EVERY player who plays well just has to be going 1st round...

People put up these unheard of hype/expectations on players...then say they never lived up to the hype. Why were they the Bermuda Triangle 2 in the 1st place?
This is basically what we're seeing in this thread and ones like it.

Overblown expectations led to inappropriate backlash. Then inappropriate backlash (and absolute statements) leads to lack of nuance on the realistic strengths and weaknesses of our LBs (aided by some unexplained passer rating metric, which of course fits players on what was an effective defense OVERALL against the pass last season).

This isn't complicated. Go back to Vision's game reviews or youtube the games. There's plenty of good and some bad in there. But, agreed, we should be happy about our returning group because our guys are way better than alternatives within the conference. And, they're future pros. They have a chance to get even better and more consistent in their final year. Should be fun to see their last college evolution.

Advertisement
Back