Interdasting piece on Saban and over-signing

Advertisement
Bama was about the only school that still kept a schollie open to him when he was injured. You know who the real culprit in all of this? Limited scholarships. Something tells me "back in the day", it was common for kickers to have schollies and for transfers to be very low. Now we have UGA's president saying we should lower 85 to 80....good lord.

roughly every other program in the country seems to work fine within the 85 number...why is it such a problem for bama?

and every other program isn't putting tons of kids on medical hardships either....Since Saban arrived he has put 15 kids on MH, that is more than the rest of the sec COMBINED,....oh right..hard practices all and that

Last edited:
Majority of whom can't play anymore. I guess Saban should play injured players against their will.

Bama was about the only school that still kept a schollie open to him when he was injured. You know who the real culprit in all of this? Limited scholarships. Something tells me "back in the day", it was common for kickers to have schollies and for transfers to be very low. Now we have UGA's president saying we should lower 85 to 80....good lord.

roughly every other program in the country seems to work fine within the 85 number...why is it such a problem for bama?

and every other program isn't putting tons of kids on medical hardships either....Since Saban arrived he has put 15 kids on MH, that is more than the rest of the sec COMBINED,....oh right..hard practices all and that

Why aren't more focusing on the 'get me a job' part? Only in a Bama recruiting story could a bit like that actually get overlooked.

It's legal, believe it or not. Normal folks would call it networking but athletes are slaves in the eyes of Middle America.

Horse****. It may be legal, but it's not NCAA compliant. I call for a fact-check.

As long as the "Athletic Department" didn't help him get the job, (Wink, Wink) it is not a violation.

Advertisement
Majority of whom can't play anymore. I guess Saban should play injured players against their will.

this is incredibly dishonest and you know it.

So bama just gives out more Medical Hardships than ANYONE in the NCAA because they get more injuries...it has absolutely nothing to do with the oversigning? For comparison...Bama has given 15 in 5 years...OSU has given 4 in 10 years....UF I believe has given 2-3 in the same 5 years...
oh right..alabama has tougher practices and all that

The medical hardship is used extensively because it allows alabama to keep up their Graduation rates. If they just kicked the kids out it would drastically impact their Grad Rates, which with the new rules, would mean loss of scholarships

"It's a business," Mr. Kirschman said. "College football is all about politics. And this is a loophole in the system.""I wasn't playing significant minutes, but I was personally upset because I did anything coach asked, I was a team player, I had a 4.0 average," said Mr. Kirschman, who played in two career games, both in 2008, and is now working full time as a robot programmer at Mercedes.Mr. Kirschman said the school offered in the summer of 2009 to pay for his graduate degree in business—an offer he accepted—and that he still gets some of the same perks as players. "I still get game tickets, which is nice," he says.Mr. Kirschman said the decision to take the medical scholarship was ultimately his, and that he decided to do it to open up a scholarship for the good of the team. But he said he felt he was pressured. "It was pushed," he said. "It was instigated for several players."

n August 2009, Jeramie Griffin, a redshirt sophomore running back at Alabama, tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during a practice—an injury that kept him out for that season. After undergoing surgery, he said, "I came back in the spring and I was OK."

Indeed, Mr. Griffin's bio on Alabama's official athletics website said he "looked strong in 2010 spring drills, just eight months off of surgery."

Of course Mr Griffin was asked to take MH after spring and once bama realized they HAD to cut down to 85.

'I'm commited to them and they're commited to me.'
'I was their 7th commitment (back in Jan.)'
'I'm their 26th commitment.'

Huh???

C'mon kid! Wake up! This dude isn't the nice guy portrayed in the 'Blind Side.' He's a liar. If true and the kid is looking around, good for him. Get outta there.

If Saban gets rid of average players, then why the h3ck did hang to Phelon "I now have 3 NC rings" Jones and Tyler Love?

Advertisement
um, Miami has done this many times before. Whether it's gray shirting (asking the kids to defer a semester) or asking the kids to defer a whole year.

When is the last time we did this during signing day or when the kid was supposed to enroll?

Bama gets notoriety b/c our rivals seriously hate us, enough to cry to the ncaa. Texas, USC, etc. don't have that issue. Besides, Bama wiffed on way too many top rbs post-Richardson to say Bama "does it the best".

Why aren't more focusing on the 'get me a job' part? Only in a Bama recruiting story could a bit like that actually get overlooked.

For me, that comment was nothing really. Kinda like a fat guy saying I'm going to the chinese buffet. Roll likes to give me **** for saying it, but the truth is that no one does it quite like the University of Alabama. That's why I always get a kick out of people that talk about Auburn being the dirtiest. People think AU is the dirtiest because their dirt has been aired the most, but if people knew how deep the networks and connections run with regards to the Unviersity of Alabama, they'd be shocked. Those guys most definitely take care of their own. And before Rolltide jumps in bashing me, I actually am not saying that in a disparaging way. Sure, it's cheating, but so what. You join the Crimson Tide, and doors open that you would never imagine. Alabama is a well oiled machine.

LOL. I'm sure other pac-10 schools wouldn't give up USC if they had the chance . . . you are insanely delusional. Do you do anything besides talk about Alabama football? Seriously?

RollTide4Ever, don't you guys have a site that you can hang out on?

I mean, with Alabama being the National Champions and everything, don't ya'll have a site, and have better things to do than hang out here?

****, I'll have to rethink my firm belief that Auburn fans were the hardest to take South of the Mason Dixon line.

Advertisement
Back