Incredibly unpopular view regarding coaches past, present and future

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Get your memes ready...

In the last couple of hires, we should have hired Butch. I disagreed with the Admin regarding him being too controversial at the time because of the UNC debacle, but I kind of understood the logic and then saw what Golden did at Temple (which later was explained away, but I digress) and just thought, "OK, I wanted Butch, but this can actually work."

When Golden got Clemsoned and they didn't really take Butch or Mullen seriously, and instead went with a coach who had every advantage and still was fired for underperformance, I was extremely disappointed. Again, I wanted Butch when they hired Golden, but although I disagreed, I grudgingly conceded that there may be some method to the madness. When Richt was hired?? Absolute idiocy!! Butch would've, at minimum, stacked the team with studs and the coaching staff with future HC's.

Bottom line, the administration absolutely screwed up when they didn't hire Butch (or a couple of other coaches like Mullen) and instead hired a nice guy who happened to be an alum. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I wanted Manny to succeed, but we should have done a proper search. If he had hired well, I would be stupidly optimistic that things will turn around and truth is, I hope I've given up too soon on him and he proves us all wrong. Unfortunately, we know that's not going to happen. Wish I was wrong about that.

Now, they are faced with another choice and they will probably ***** this one up as well, but they don't have to ***** it up. They aren't required to ***** this up. They could do the right thing, this time. In the words of the Florida AD who fired Zook in the middle of the season and hired Meyer, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately!" or something like that.

So, what needs to "be done immediately" is hire Mario. I had my own hesitations about him, but in his 2nd season at a P5 school, he's killing it on the recruiting trail, his teams "look coached" and from multiple sources, this is his dream job. His team might be the favorite to win the PAC 12, and he's probably one, or at the most, two recruiting cycles away from eclipsing USC as the most physically talented team on the West Coast.

I think there are multiple coaches who could come here and win, but we kind of know we could get Mario if we paid him enough since his fantasy (if rumors be true) is to resurrect his alma mater's team. I've seen enough this season that I now believe he can do it. My Christmas wish is for the U to go all in, do what needs to be done sooner rather than later, and back up the Brinks truck at Autzen Stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Get your memes ready...

In the last couple of hires, we should have hired Butch. I disagreed with the Admin regarding him being too controversial at the time because of the UNC debacle, but I kind of understood the logic and then saw what Golden did at Temple (which later was explained away, but I digress) and just thought, "OK, I wanted Butch, but this can actually work."

When Golden got Clemsoned and they didn't really take Butch or Mullen seriously, and instead went with a coach who had every advantage and still was fired for underperformance, I was extremely disappointed. Again, I wanted Butch when they hired Golden, but although I disagreed, I grudgingly conceded that there may be some method to the madness. When Richt was hired?? Absolute idiocy!! Butch would've, at minimum, stacked the team with studs and the coaching staff with future HC's.

Bottom line, the administration absolutely screwed up when they didn't hire Butch (or a couple of other coaches like Mullen) and instead hired a nice guy who happened to be an alum. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now, they are faced with another choice and they will probably ***** this one up as well, but they don't have to ***** it up. They aren't required to ***** this up. They could do the right thing, this time. In the words of the Florida AD who fired Zook in the middle of the season and hired Meyer, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately!" or something like that.

So, what needs to "be done immediately" is hire Mario. I had my own hesitations about him, but in his 2nd season at a P5 school, he's killing it on the recruiting trail, his teams "look coached" and from multiple sources, this is his dream job. His team might be the favorite to win the PAC 12, and he's probably one, or at the most, two recruiting cycles away from eclipsing USC as the most physically talented team on the West Coast.

I think there are multiple coaches who could come here and win, but we kind of know we could get Mario if we paid him enough since his fantasy (if rumors be true) is to resurrect his alma mater's team. I've seen enough this season that I now believe he can do it. My Christmas wish is for the U to go all in, do what needs to be done sooner rather than later, and back up the Brinks truck at Autzen Stadium.
This isn't that bad. But UM isn't Mario's dream job. Mario's dream job is whoever pays the most.

Advertisement
Mario would be nuts to leave Oregon and Phil Knight’s money and influence for this ****show.
Not saying you're wrong, but I'm hoping you're wrong. Or, you're right and he's nutty enough to come here. We need a lifeline!

Get your memes ready...

I wanted Manny to succeed, but we should have done a proper search. If he had hired well, I would be stupidly optimistic that things will turn around and truth is, I hope I've given up too soon on him and he proves us all wrong. Unfortunately, we know that's not going to happen. Wish I was wrong about that.

Too long of a post and Butch mentioned to many times and he sucks, Mario C sucks, and please no more Cubans coaching The U football, maybe baseball!

Advertisement
Jesus, Mario is like ******* spam around here.

He would've been a bad idea in the past and doesn't get better with age. Thing of it is we need to go higher than the coach. Start with James and replace him with a Jankovich level AD. Let him right the ship.

Mario is a bad in-game coach and his offenses always under achieve given their talent but he would fill the roster with 4 stars and at least beat all the teams he’s supposed to (everybody in the coastal)

Urban Meyer or bust.

Go Canes!
Michigan would have a better chance of getting him than we would, but yes, I would take him and even Jim Tressell, who I dubbed, "Sweater Vest Satan" at this point, if we could just become a consistent top 15 squad.

Advertisement
Literally the only thing that keeps me from going insane when I think about Blake James not bothering to conduct a coaching search after Richt retired is the fact that he would have just hired Mario who would have been just as bad as Manny. We need an offensive minded coach who will implement a spread system. That isn’t Mario.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back