Incoming Tightends

verobeachcane

Recruit
Banned
If Mallory and Jordan are as good as advertised (which i believe they are). How often do you think Richt will run two TE sets for the offense. I feel like a two TE set with these guys would give us a ton of possibilities both in the run game and pass game. I could see this formation as a true matchup nightmare for the linebackers. Also for the DBs considering JT4 and Richards on the outside. Very few teams in the country have four good cover guys. Plus with homer in the backfield we can run power run plays. Defenses would essentially have to pick their poison. if the defense has the wrong personnel on the field we should be able to make them pay. I really hope Richt runs some of these formations.

Advertisement
We're about to have the talent at skill positions to run any personnel group onto the field we need to in order to create match up problems. Anything from 5 wide empty to 3TE 2 back Jumbo. If the O-line holds up we can be very special this season.

Raise your hand if instead of shotgun spread from the 5 yard line you'd like to see Irving, Jordan, Mallory, George, Burns...How about a Redzone package of Richards, Cager, Hightower, Njoku?

Here is the problem. We had Chris Herndon and David Njoku at the same time in 2016, but we barely used them efficiently. They were unstoppable when they were targeted, but barely were compared to how they should have been. It would drive me nuts that there were barely any crossing patterns to the tight end that year.

Hopefully things change because we really have to take advantage of our mismatches if we have them.

Many people remember Njoku as that pass catching machine that took over towards the end of 2016 and really broke out in the Russell Athletic Bowl, but many people also forget that he was a drop machine prior to that. For his draft analysis, PFF had this to say:

• Had seven drops on 71 catchable targets over the past two seasons, majority coming when open, has a tendency to not see the ball all the way in.
  • Slow acceleration, doesn’t explode off the line.
  • Not overly elusive, forced many missed tackles in college based off size and balance.
  • Struggles when tasked with sealing 8/9-tech’s to the outside on front side of gap-scheme runs; often gets beat to the inside forcing RB to bounce the run to the outside.
  • Can get too tall when moving laterally blocking inline, allows defenders to get under his pads and control the movement.
For as great as Njoku was over his last 6 or 7 games as a Cane, he wasn't always consistently reliable in the run game or the passing game.

Advertisement
Need both to be pretty decent blockers to run an effective 2 TE set without tipping your hand, run or pass.

They both will be on the field a lot and are going to embarrass a lot of mfkrs on the other team... Mallory could line up as a **** WR and embarrass some cbs easy. Its up to the OC to come up with creative ways to utilize all our weapons.

Advertisement
They both will be on the field a lot and are going to embarrass a lot of mfkrs on the other team... Mallory could line up as a **** WR and embarrass some cbs easy. Its up to the OC to come up with creative ways to utilize all our weapons.

Yeah, well, good luck with that.

I think Mallory will be a little light to be a truly effective blocker.
Disagree. Have you seen our WRs block? Mallory will be asked to do the same kind of blocking. He will be fine. He won’t be used like a 260 lb TE, but as a mismatch nightmare I’m the passing game, that occasionally will have to block. He will be 100% fine.

Disagree. Have you seen our WRs block? Mallory will be asked to do the same kind of blocking. He will be fine. He won’t be used like a 260 lb TE, but as a mismatch nightmare I’m the passing game, that occasionally will have to block. He will be 100% fine.

Our wide receivers are blocking 175lb cornerbacks, TE are asked to block linemen and linebackers. Big Difference.

Am I the only one who hoped to see hot chicks bending over when I opened this thread?

Advertisement
Our wide receivers are blocking 175lb cornerbacks, TE are asked to block linemen and linebackers. Big Difference.
I don't think Mallory is going to be a traditional style TE. Dude is a big WR, not some run blocking beast, and he will be used accordingly. His blocking will be more open field than going against DEs. He might do SOME of that, but you use kids where their skills best suit them.

Don't sleep on MI2. I expect a ton of growth over the summer and a vigorous response to competition come fall.
As a DC you're gonna have a tough time covering everyone and stopping the run.

Don't sleep on MI2. I expect a ton of growth over the summer and a vigorous response to competition come fall.
As a DC you're gonna have a tough time covering everyone and stopping the run.
I think that's a pretty rosy take, but boy will I be happy if it's correct. Having Irvin and Jordan rotating would be a nuisance for the middle of defenses.

Advertisement
I think that's a pretty rosy take, but boy will I be happy if it's correct. Having Irvin and Jordan rotating would be a nuisance for the middle of defenses.

Unless you’re referring to Michael Sr., I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Irvin is going to be a nuisance for any opposing defenses. I hope that changes in the fall.

We're about to have the talent at skill positions to run any personnel group onto the field we need to in order to create match up problems. Anything from 5 wide empty to 3TE 2 back Jumbo. If the O-line holds up we can be very special this season.

Raise your hand if instead of shotgun spread from the 5 yard line you'd like to see Irving, Jordan, Mallory, George, Burns...How about a Redzone package of Richards, Cager, Hightower, Njoku?

sounds interesting but,

1. if Mallory can't hold the point and the other two TEs can't get separation you're not fooling anyone with that look.
2. You also don't threaten the 3rd level like that unless you're running game is so good that teams walk S up.

Teams have to buy that we're gonna run the ball and our hat on hat game has to be good for that to work. Keep it simple 12 or 21 personnel group depending on the defense and create 1 on 1s from that, because I'm not sure our Oline is strong enough to pull off that 23 look.

The strength of our offense is WR and you need to create 1 on 1s for those guys to push safeties deep and create space for TEs/RBs.

Advertisement
Back