In the simplest terms, why did it take so long for Miami to finally run a 21st century offense?

As mentioned by many in this thread. Too many people living in the past at what worked when we had the talent advantage and could dominate the line of scrimmage. We’ve still been getting the athletes at WR and RB, but was refusing to run an offense that played to their talents of putting them in space. Also haven’t had a game changing seasoned leader at QB since Dorsey. That helps as well.

Advertisement
Cause like 90% of our fans especially the ones that post here, they are old washed farts that live in the past. Our AD is the sameway. Prostyle bro, "Bring back Butch", "What is Howard doing right now?", "Jimmy has to be bored at fox", " Why don't we have a FB on the roster?", "Why don't the kids want to wear riddell jersey's"

2576C6CF-6395-47BC-BE1B-7E5740A1B362.jpeg

they could've been doing this yearsss ago smh
Honestly, hiring coaches who still thought the concepts and schemes of the late 90’s/early 2000s would still work. Randy was a life long defensive coach, but he was always on staff’s that prioritized a pro style offense. He wasn’t exposed to the spread, ever. Golden was a coach from the Paterno/Al Groh coaching tree. Both coaches were pro style guys. Golden also never had the guts to change his staff, ever.

Richt was a really successful OC early in his career (90s), and only hired pro style guys at Georgia (Mike Bobo for example). Overall Manny was the first guy with the awareness to realize that things had changed.

Advertisement
Honestly, hiring coaches who still thought the concepts and schemes of the late 90’s/early 2000s would still work. Randy was a life long defensive coach, but he was always on staff’s that prioritized a pro style offense. He wasn’t exposed to the spread, ever. Golden was a coach from the Paterno/Al Groh coaching tree. Both coaches were pro style guys. Golden also never had the guts to change his staff, ever.

Richt was a really successful OC early in his career (90s), and only hired pro style guys at Georgia (Mike Bobo for example). Overall Manny was the first guy with the awareness to realize that things had changed.
Not to make light of the topic but I think the whole problem boils down to one word...LAZINESS! We had one, that right, only one AD who knew anything about hiring good people (Sam). Once he was gone the store ws placed in the hands of people who always took the lazy way. Nobody did ANY due diligence. Nobody did the research necessary to make the right hire and NOBODY was willing to PAY to get a proven coach......only retreads for a long, long time.

Not to make light of the topic but I think the whole problem boils down to one word...LAZINESS! We had one, that right, only one AD who knew anything about hiring good people (Sam). Once he was gone the store ws placed in the hands of people who always took the lazy way. Nobody did ANY due diligence. Nobody did the research necessary to make the right hire and NOBODY was willing to PAY to get a proven coach......only retreads for a long, long time.
A lot of that is right, but I wouldn't say nobody tried. They chose poorly again and again, but there was a logic to each of the choices. Richt is self-explanitory, Golden briefly looked like the next up and coming guy, Randy was a home-town hero who would bring back the spark of our winning teams, and Larry was new the team and wouldn't steer us wrong. Point is, it wasn't lazy, it was a lack of understanding of what a team needs in a HC. Well, that and some guys who couldn't accept the fact they'd made a mistake, and so wouldn't change what clearly needed changing.

And lets not forget that a few months ago, Manny looked like he fit in real well with that group. A guy who was a hot up and coming coach we took a chance on, but who turned out to not be HC material. So time will tell if that's who he is or if he's a great HC who knows when to make a change and what that change will be.

Advertisement
A lot of that is right, but I wouldn't say nobody tried. They chose poorly again and again, but there was a logic to each of the choices. Richt is self-explanitory, Golden briefly looked like the next up and coming guy, Randy was a home-town hero who would bring back the spark of our winning teams, and Larry was new the team and wouldn't steer us wrong. Point is, it wasn't lazy, it was a lack of understanding of what a team needs in a HC. Well, that and some guys who couldn't accept the fact they'd made a mistake, and so wouldn't change what clearly needed changing.
There’s kinda a cruel irony with the Coker hire and era. The 2000 team wanted him for the job, because they ran him rather than the other way around. From 01-04 things looked good. But long term that decision destroyed the program.

Dennis Erickson's offense was essentially a spread offense. One back most of the time. We were actually ahead of college football running it back then. When Butch and Coker took over they scrapped the offense in favor of the pro style offense commonly used in the NFL. Whipple used variants of the spread but Jacory just took too many risks with the ball and so we changed systems back to a more traditional offense under Golden as he was a PSU guy who didn't believe in the spread. Richt was an RPO guy who ran an old school offense. Malik Rosier wasn't exactly a spread QB either. Diaz brought in Enos who had no clue what he was doing. Finally Manny knew we had to go spread to be successful. So some of it was just not having the right head coach and some of it was not having a quarterback capable of executing it. We do have the King who fully understands the system. We need to fully recruit to the system and having spectacular running backs like Cam for this year, and Knighton and Chaney for the next few years is a good start. This young offensive line is only going to get better and better as time goes on. But after King leaves we need to recruit that type of player as QB. That is the big question mark.

How many people here argued that we needed to stay pro style because that's what the NFL runs and it was the only way we'd get good recruits?

There’s kinda a cruel irony with the Coker hire and era. The 2000 team wanted him for the job, because they ran him rather than the other way around. From 01-04 things looked good. But long term that decision destroyed the program.
That's still a tough one. I've always said that had we hired somebody from outside they may have ruined the 01-02 teams by trying to install another system or something. So was it worth it? I don't know, but I'm leaning toward the greatness of the 00-02 run being worth the rest of Larry's slide to mediocrity. I would point more to Randy as the first bad hire. I think Coker, overall, carried his weight.

Advertisement
Dennis Erickson's offense was essentially a spread offense. One back most of the time. We were actually ahead of college football running it back then. When Butch and Coker took over they scrapped the offense in favor of the pro style offense commonly used in the NFL. Whipple used variants of the spread but Jacory just took too many risks with the ball and so we changed systems back to a more traditional offense under Golden as he was a PSU guy who didn't believe in the spread. Richt was an RPO guy who ran an old school offense. Malik Rosier wasn't exactly a spread QB either. Diaz brought in Enos who had no clue what he was doing. Finally Manny knew we had to go spread to be successful. So some of it was just not having the right head coach and some of it was not having a quarterback capable of executing it. We do have the King who fully understands the system. We need to fully recruit to the system and having spectacular running backs like Cam for this year, and Knighton and Chaney for the next few years is a good start. This young offensive line is only going to get better and better as time goes on. But after King leaves we need to recruit that type of player as QB. That is the big question mark.
Yeah, Whipple wasn't bad on paper, he just couldn't adjust to his actual QB when that guy couldn't do what he wanted.

That's still a tough one. I've always said that had we hired somebody from outside they may have ruined the 01-02 teams by trying to install another system or something. So was it worth it? I don't know, but I'm leaning toward the greatness of the 00-02 run being worth the rest of Larry's slide to mediocrity. I would point more to Randy as the first bad hire. I think Coker, overall, carried his weight.
That’s a good point. I was excited for Randy from 2007-2009. Team looked like it was really on the rise. Always felt like he should’ve gotten at least one more year after 2010. Shame we didn’t give him the chance, but gave Golden 2 more years than needed. Once Golden got blown out by Louisville in that bowl game, I knew he was done.

Deathly committed to being NFLU...

We were married to Pro style bro! To our own detriment.
And a bit of arrogance. Pro Style brought us 5 championships. How dare anyone suggest we do something different?

Ironically OU, Nebraska and others were saying the same thing in the early 80s.

Advertisement
At some point we stopped being innovative and forward-thinking, which is crazy to me because that's exactly how we became a dynasty.

This is exactly it. People were focused on the wrong thing. It wasn't running a specific scheme that led to our ascent, it was implementing a scheme that not many others were.

How many people here argued that we needed to stay pro style because that's what the NFL runs and it was the only way we'd get good recruits?
QFT!!! Many will try to cover their face and skip this question, for YEARSSSSSSS they said spread was soft, you wont win anything, those offenses are gimmicky, we get NFL players, this is NFLU, Maurice hagens in the flats, recruits bro, QB system, QBU, bro style.. I wonder who will answer this question, who will repent

A lot, or most of us, equated the spread offense to teams with subpar recruiting bases and teams that could not play defense. Teams in the old WAC conference, for example, or Leach at Texas Tech. We'd watch teams score 35-40-45 points but still lose, or crap the bed when they played far superior team.

Advertisement
Back