In & Out - Roster Improvements (and not) on Offense for 2024

CaneBear0207

Junior
As we might be done adding players on offense for 2024, I'm looking at each position to see whether we improved the roster from last season...

QB
In - Cam Ward, Reese Poffenbarger
Out - TVD, Jacurri Brown
Net - Huge improvement. TVD was frankly the reason we lost a few games. Cam can be the reason we win a game or two that we would not otherwise win.

RB
In - Damien Martinez, Jordan Lyle, Chris Wheatley-Humphrey
Out - Henry Parrish, Don Chaney, Trevonte Citizen
Net - The ceiling is definitely higher. Or as Jordan once said, "The ceiling is the roof." Parrish hurt to lose, and I always liked Chaney, but neither of them is as high-powered as Martinez. One caveat here is that if Mark Fletcher is out for the season and we consider him on the "out" part of the ledger, this is more like a wash.

WR
In - Sam Brown, Jojo Trader, Ny Carr, Chance Robinson
Out - Colbie Young, Brashard Smith, Tyler Harrell, Frank Ladson
Net - Break even. Who here remembers that Ladson was on the team last year? Long term, our 3 freshmen will be great. But year-to-year, if Brown and Trader can fill the production gaps left by Young and Brashard, we'll have done well.

TE
In - Elija Lofton
Out - Jaleel Skinner
Net - Probably a plus. Factor in Arroyo coming back at full strength, and this is a huge improvement.

OL
In - Zach Carpenter, Markel Bell, Deryc Plazz, Nino Francavilla, Juan Minaya
Out - Matt Lee, Javion Cohen, Logan Sagapolu, Chris Washington
Net - A step back. IDGAF what happened this weekend, Cohen and Lee are NFL linemen. I do not expect Carpenter to be as good as Lee, and while Bell is another one to watch long term, he won't be as effective in 2024 as Cohen was in '23.

Advertisement
WR
Net - Break even. Who here remembers that Ladson was on the team last year? Long term, our 3 freshmen will be great. But year-to-year, if Brown and Trader can fill the production gaps left by Young and Brashard, we'll have done well.
200.webp

As we might be done adding players on offense for 2024, I'm looking at each position to see whether we improved the roster from last season...

QB
In - Cam Ward, Reese Poffenbarger
Out - TVD, Jacurri Brown
Net - Huge improvement. TVD was frankly the reason we lost a few games. Cam can be the reason we win a game or two that we would not otherwise win.

RB
In - Damien Martinez, Jordan Lyle, Chris Wheatley-Humphrey
Out - Henry Parrish, Don Chaney, Trevonte Citizen
Net - The ceiling is definitely higher. Or as Jordan once said, "The ceiling is the roof." Parrish hurt to lose, and I always liked Chaney, but neither of them is as high-powered as Martinez. One caveat here is that if Mark Fletcher is out for the season and we consider him on the "out" part of the ledger, this is more like a wash.

WR

TE
In - Elija Lofton
Out - Jaleel Skinner
Net - Probably a plus. Factor in Arroyo coming back at full strength, and this is a huge improvement.

OL
In - Zach Carpenter, Markel Bell, Deryc Plazz, Nino Francavilla, Juan Minaya
Out - Matt Lee, Javion Cohen, Logan Sagapolu, Chris Washington
Net - A step back. IDGAF what happened this weekend, Cohen and Lee are NFL linemen. I do not expect Carpenter to be as good as Lee, and while Bell is another one to watch long term, he won't be as effective in 2024 as Cohen was in '23.
QB: Major Obvious Improvement

RB: Improvement. Martinez is a legit heavy workload RB. Parrish was just a reliable solid Rb. But we also are adding Lyle, Chris Johnson will have more experience. Fletcher is injured, may miss most of the season ( I don't think he misses the entire season, but will redshirt), but he was also a frosh last year too and wasn't spectacular or anything from a production standpoint. I think he's talented and will be the guy next year. But Ultimately our Starting RB has majorly improved, and depth has took a slight step back (mostly due to fletcher injury), but like that's not as big of a negative as our starter improvement is a positive.

WR: Improvement. Smith/Harrell/Ladson did literally nothing for us aside from an 80 yard run by Smith. lol. Colbie was good, and maybe you can say Brown and Young is a wash. But the rest is going to clearly produce more this year for us.

TE: Major Improvement - at least in production. The fact is Riley was a True Frosh at TE (difficult), Arroyo missed the entire season. And Lofton is likely to be a decent contributor that isn't relied upon (which was prob with riley last yr). We wont have to rely on Cam, which makes this a major improvement no matter what.

OL: Slight step back I'd agree. However I can see overall with the further development of Mauigoa this could be positive. Carpenter wont be as athletic or as good of a pass blocker, but could be a better run blocker than lee. Cohen was the lowest graded Olineman last year, and is being replaced by a 5star guy with a lot of potential. And Rivers and Cohen are just another year more experienced... So yeah individually I'd say we are taking a small step back. But as a unit, it may be as good or better.... or worse a bit. And maybe we are worse pass blocking but better run blocking. However with Cam Ward at QB, that would actually be much better for our offense imo.

Two additional factors:

guys who get better from last year to this year by virtue of experience, maturation and conditioning
guys who get better because they now have had a year under both coordinators

Advertisement
Advertisement
And the WRs will be better because we’ll have a QB that is mobile and knows how to read a zone defense.
This is a huge factor. With a QB who is not a liability WR play will be much better, even if the quality of the WR room is the same.

Good post but I think WR is an improvement. Young was a loss, but he was inconsistent and replaceable. Smith is a talented guy but not very productive.

It will likely be 8 weeks until UM sees a top 30 defense (FSU).

I get that week 1 is on the road and that isn’t necessarily easy because how loud that place is but you can’t tell me for the first 8 weeks that any of these defenses can hold a HEALTHY UM offense to less than 33-35 PPG

Attachments

• IMG_8363.png
    IMG_8363.png
    369.8 KB · Views: 0
Even OL is a NET POSITIVE.

10 wins is our floor. We have to be in the PLAYOFFS
I'm glad this seems to be the sentiment this year.

Hopefully it doesn't change as the year goes on.

10 wins is the minimum number of wins for the season to be considered successful.

Years 1 and 2 were both failures for Mario. He can't go 0-3.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back