In & Out - Roster Improvements (and not) on Defense for 2024

CaneBear0207

Junior
As we might be done adding players on defense for 2024, I'm looking at each position to see whether we improved the roster from last season...

DT
In - CJ Clark, Simeon Barrow, Marley Cook, Justin Scott, Artavius Jones, Daylen Russell
Out - Leonard Taylor, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Branson Deen, Thomas Gore, Jake Lichtenstein
Net - I'm calling this a break-even. The top 5 snap getters from last year all left, and that's a lot to replace. Long term, we're optimistic about Justin Scott and Artavius Jones. And NFL draft weekend told us that we did not lose that much. But I view the portal additions as backfilling the losses more or less evenly.

Edge
In - Tyle Baron, Elijah Alston, Cole McConathy, Marquis Lightfoot, Armondo Blount, Booker Pickett, Elias Rudolph
Out - Jahfari Harvey, Nyjalik Kelly, Jayden Wayne, Chantz Williams, Cyrus Moss, Collins Acheampong
Net - Similar to our RB situation, what we lost is not insubstantial, but the ceiling is higher with the new guys. I think Baron is the top name on this list for the 2024 season, and Alston might be second. Just as with DT, the freshman class has sky-high hopes, but I'm not counting on true freshmen to raise the level on the D-line. (Bain is a unicorn.)

LB
In - Jaylin Alderman, Cameron Pruitt, Adarius Hayes
Out - KJ Cloyd, Corey Flagg, Keontra Smith, Marcellius Pulliam, Ryan Ragone
Net - Probably another improvement. We lost a lot of snaps, but not any NFL talent. Almost like we cleared some space. Alderman is probably the best player listed here, and Bobby Pruitt was already running with the 1s in spring. Adarius Hayes is a headhunter.

CB
In - Dyoni Hill, Ryan Mack, Dylan Day, OJ Frederique
Out - Jaden Davis, TeCory Couch, Davonte Brown, Demetrius Freeney
Net - A step back. Davis was drafted--will Hill be? TeCory was a starter and is in rookie camp now with the Bills. Ryan Mack is not on campus yet, and I'm not expecting anything from the other freshmen. This is a position where we lost more than we gained.

S
In - Mishael Powell, Zaquan Patterson, Isaiah Thomas
Out - Kamren Kinchens, James Williams, Kaleb Spencer
Net - Another step back. I think Powell will be good, but I'm not sure he'll be better than Kam. I expect Zaquan to be great here, but I doubt he'll be as valuable next year as Williams was last year.

A caveat that also applies to the thread I made on Offensive ins & outs. This obviously doesn't account for improvement in returning players. Obviously, we hope and expect that everyone is getting developed and improving year over year. This is just one measure of net talent improvement on the roster, and admittedly a wholly subjective one by a lay fan.

Advertisement
As we might be done adding players on defense for 2024, I'm looking at each position to see whether we improved the roster from last season...

DT
In - CJ Clark, Simeon Barrow, Marley Cook, Justin Scott, Artavius Jones, Daylen Russell
Out - Leonard Taylor, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Branson Deen, Thomas Gore, Jake Lichtenstein
Net - I'm calling this a break-even. The top 5 snap getters from last year all left, and that's a lot to replace. Long term, we're optimistic about Justin Scott and Artavius Jones. And NFL draft weekend told us that we did not lose that much. But I view the portal additions as backfilling the losses more or less evenly.

Edge
In - Tyle Baron, Elijah Alston, Cole McConathy, Marquis Lightfoot, Armondo Blount, Booker Pickett, Elias Rudolph
Out - Jahfari Harvey, Nyjalik Kelly, Jayden Wayne, Chantz Williams, Cyrus Moss, Collins Acheampong
Net - Similar to our RB situation, what we lost is not insubstantial, but the ceiling is higher with the new guys. I think Baron is the top name on this list for the 2024 season, and Alston might be second. Just as with DT, the freshman class has sky-high hopes, but I'm not counting on true freshmen to raise the level on the D-line. (Bain is a unicorn.)

LB
In - Jaylin Alderman, Cameron Pruitt, Adarius Hayes
Out - KJ Cloyd, Corey Flagg, Keontra Smith, Marcellius Pulliam, Ryan Ragone
Net - Probably another improvement. We lost a lot of snaps, but not any NFL talent. Almost like we cleared some space. Alderman is probably the best player listed here, and Bobby Pruitt was already running with the 1s in spring. Adarius Hayes is a headhunter.

CB
In - Dyoni Hill, Ryan Mack, Dylan Day, OJ Frederique
Out - Jaden Davis, TeCory Couch, Davonte Brown, Demetrius Freeney
Net - A step back. Davis was drafted--will Hill be? TeCory was a starter and is in rookie camp now with the Bills. Ryan Mack is not on campus yet, and I'm not expecting anything from the other freshmen. This is a position where we lost more than we gained.

S
In - Mishael Powell, Zaquan Patterson, Isaiah Thomas
Out - Kamren Kinchens, James Williams, Kaleb Spencer
Net - Another step back. I think Powell will be good, but I'm not sure he'll be better than Kam. I expect Zaquan to be great here, but I doubt he'll be as valuable next year as Williams was last year.

A caveat that also applies to the thread I made on Offensive ins & outs. This obviously doesn't account for improvement in returning players. Obviously, we hope and expect that everyone is getting developed and improving year over year. This is just one measure of net talent improvement on the roster, and admittedly a wholly subjective one by a lay fan.
I appreciate your thread but I believe not including returning players at each position devalues the overall improvements each group will be.

Our returning DL plus the addition to me without last year’s injuries is exponentially better.

Our young LBs are all just about to burst (pause). Add Kiko and Alderman and your revamped DL. Improvement.

Our DBs - 3 players being drafted isn’t ideal. But our DBs are all good enough with some elite talent. (I would have preferred 1 starting S via portal) with returning talent (Porter/Brown) and our pass rush I see this at least a wash after some rough patches.

Advertisement
Back