In my humble opinion we need more depth at RB

Butch Davis knew the value of depth and quality at RB. The 2000 roster had 5 RB's. James Jackson, Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, D J Williams, and Will McPartland. In 2001 (one of our greatest teams ever) we had 6 RBs. Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore, Jarret Payton and Kyle Cobia. That depth was significant and most of those would start over any RB we have today. With 3 supposed quality RBs where one hasn't practiced due to injury but is touted as a star, I am concerned with one or two injuries (not uncommon at RB) we will be hurting significantly.
lingard has potential but little history, D J Dallas is a journey man at RB and solid but no burner, Robert Burns has shown nothing yet, Cam Ron Harris looked fair in one scrimmage and Asa Martin is shirting. So effectively we are going to play Florida with one know entity (D J) and two unknowns in Burns and Harris, and one potentially too injured. Harris and Dallas will be our rotation and forget Realus as he is strictly a short yardage and blocking back.

Advertisement
Butch Davis knew the value of depth and quality at RB. The 2000 roster had 5 RB's. James Jackson, Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, D J Williams, and Will McPartland. In 2001 (one of our greatest teams ever) we had 6 RBs. Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore, Jarret Payton and Kyle Cobia. That depth was significant and most of those would start over any RB we have today. With 3 supposed quality RBs where one hasn't practiced due to injury but is touted as a star, I am concerned with one or two injuries (not uncommon at RB) we will be hurting significantly.
lingard has potential but little history, D J Dallas is a journey man at RB and solid but no burner, Robert Burns has shown nothing yet, Cam Ron Harris looked fair in one scrimmage and Asa Martin is shirting. So effectively we are going to play Florida with one know entity (D J) and two unknowns in Burns and Harris, and one potentially too injured. Harris and Dallas will be our rotation and forget Realus as he is strictly a short yardage and blocking back.

lol throwing in McPartland and Cobia... I wont get into 2001 as that was just silly depth.

DJ if he gets close to 1k rushing and at least 300 receiving will leave for the NFL as he has shown ability to be a very poor mans Kamara being able to do PR, KR, RB, and being a serviceable receiver out of the backfield

Cam will be in the league

Lingaww has all the talent in the world to maybe Fuggg around and be a 1st round draft pick if he posts a 1k season and runs a 4.3 at his size

Burns is the true wildcard in all this.. that dude is legit and can be just as good as anyone we have...

I like what we have... I also love that we have two more great RBs added next year... Miami should never hurt for RB. Come to mention it I cant remember a time last that we didn't have someone viable in the starting role.

Ok, but is Feaster of this quality?

At what time were all those greats all considered as “known entity’s” while at Miami at the same time..never..u had James Jackson who was a lead guy and only cracked 1k one time..najeh who was a jumbo back..Clinton was a stud..then Willis who also had to redshirt and was behind frank until he got hurt but then broke out behind the best college oline of all time..then came gore..jarret Payton if we being honest was JAG with all due respect..

your comparing finished careers with guys who have been on campus for one year..I can only imagine what message boards would’ve been saying about those all time greats while they played

Advertisement
At what time were all those greats all considered as “known entity’s” while at Miami at the same time..never..u had James Jackson who was a lead guy and only cracked 1k one time..najeh who was a jumbo back..Clinton was a stud..then Willis who also had to redshirt and was behind frank until he got hurt but then broke out behind the best college oline of all time..then came gore..jarret Payton if we being honest was JAG with all due respect..

your comparing finished careers with guys who have been on campus for one year..I can only imagine what message boards would’ve been saying about those all time greats while they played
I agree as no one can forecast how good a player with potential will become. I hope that Lingard, Burns, or Harris surprise me. I just think Feaster of all the portal players could be an asset and we do have roster room. His highlights show that he played significant downs for the National Champions.

The situation becomes tenuous when you consider the following:

-Homer should still be here
-Miami signed 0 RBs in 2019
-Burns is a walking vase
-Lingard is coming off an injury
-Martin isn't eligible
-Dallas is a fat fumbling machine
-Harris has 20 career carries
-Realus is a fullback
-No preferred walkons on the roster
Elite.

This man just literally just tried to use the deepest backfield in the history of football, not just college football, but football in general...to argue that we weren't deep enough at RB.

I can't even fathom the mental gymnastics it takes for someone to convince themselves that this is a valid argument.

Advertisement
Excuse me sir but you're being a homer.

I like the aggregate of our QB, RB, WR, TE units but don't love any of those rooms. I think they all have their flaws.

QB - young, immature, inexperienced
RB - young, not terribly deep in terms of dependability and experience
WR - very solid at the top, can't catch all that well though
TE - young but experienced with high upside

When you extract certain players from each of these units you can form a nice little team on paper.

Roc you know better than to troll drunk

Roc you know better than to troll drunk

It's a young team, man.

George Brown and Mike Irvin II are the only players on offense who have been here longer than two years. New system, new players. What could possibly go wrong?

And another thing. Does anyone realize or care that our likely starters at QB, RB, WR, TE are from out of state?

This all looks and feels brand new and, in a way, it's very exciting. But it's also not exactly a recipe for immediate success. My guess is the offense will look a lot better in 2020.

It's a young team, man.

George Brown and Mike Irvin II are the only players on offense who have been here longer than two years. New system, new players. What could possibly go wrong?

And another thing. Does anyone realize or care that our likely starters at QB, RB, WR, TE are from out of state?

This all looks and feels brand new and, in a way, it's very exciting. But it's also not exactly a recipe for immediate success. My guess is the offense will look a lot better in 2020.
How does that even mean anything? Some of Miami’s best players in the history of the program have been out of state guys

Advertisement
There’s depth problems in a lot of places on this roster and it’s something that Manny needs to fix. It’s been this way for too long.
I'm sure Manny will do his best. However the notion that we have depth problems in a lot of places, simply because we don't have Elite talent at every position is nothing but an opinion.
Outside of The tackle and guard position (which is a big deal), numbers wise we have depth nearly everywhere, what we don't have is talent at the 2s and 3s at every position. Trust that every coach tries to fix this on the recruiting trail, but the only real fix is simply do a better job coaching and win games. We'll build our talent depth when that happens.

Advertisement
Feaster is a legit RB that has a lot of talent and would definitely help us, but we're already in a great spot with Lingard/DJ/Cam. It's already going to be hard enough to get all 3 of those guys carries.

Feaster & Etienne both got 107 carries in 2017. 2018 - Etienne 204 / Feaster 78. That's no knock on Feaster - Etienne is just that f'ing good.

Feaster has already won 2 NC's so he wants to use his Senior Year to play more and improve his draft stock. Can't fault him for that.

Going to a school where it's a clearer path to get the bulk of the carries vs. coming to Miami where there are already plenty of mouths to feed at RB makes more sense for what Feaster wants to do. I wish him luck.

Honestly would rather he leaves after this year. Can’t really see another year of him taking snaps from More talented backs next year when you have at least 3 guys on the roster more gifted than him in lingard, Chaney and Davis possibly being 4 if we get knighton. He may do it this year but idk about in 2020 . Plus you can’t pass up an opportunity for the nfl especially when you have a family to feed as he recently just had a kid
Asa Martin too

Advertisement
Back