In my humble opinion we need more depth at RB

btw dallas averaged 8 carries per game last season, the most he had in any game was 17 vs toledo when he put up 110 and a touchdown. his carries dropped off at the end of the year but there was a stretch in the middle of the season where he was averaging about 12 per game. his workload will increase this year -- we should be a better offense running more plays, for one -- but how much is it really going to increase? 16-18 carries per game instead of 12? this discussion is dumb.

His workload may not increase as much as you think. We ran 835 plays last year, good for 98th in the country. So I'll agree with you that, logically speaking, if you have a more efficient offense (and we all pray to Christ we will), we'll run more plays. But Enos is not a tempo coach. We're not going to all of a sudden run 1000 plays. So even if you say we have a 10% increase, let's go with 920 plays.

Last year we had a combined 381 touches from our backs. Again, say that increases by 10%. So we're at about 420 touches.

Homer got 183 (48%)
Deejay got 119 (31%)
Harris got 31 (8%)
Choc got 28 (7%)
Lingard & Burns combined for 20 (5%)

We lost Choc & Homer...so that's a loss of 211 touches. Certainly a void to fill, but you've now really got 3 backs vying for those rather than just essentially 2. So if you assume Deejay gets Homer's workload, then you're going to give half the touches to Lingard and Cam combined? I'm not sure that's the best strategy. I actually think it may be more of a 40/30/30 split. Those 2 young kids are too talented to give 15% of the touches to. They need to work. So if Deejay gets 40% of the touches, and we assume we run 10% more plays, you can probably project him for 170ish touches. 13 or so a game. It'll be very interesting to see how the workload shakes out. But I don't think there's a chance in **** that Deejay gets 48% of the touches like Homer did last year.

Advertisement
Yeah, I don't dislike our RB room. I don't love it either. I'd love it had Homer stayed. He was a true bell-cow these last 2 seasons.
Dallas wasn't even a RB until 1/4 of the way through 2017. He's performed well but hasn't been 'the guy' and never outperformed Homer.
Lingard was here for spring 2018 and didn't make a ton of noise. Can probably chalk it up to the RPO (Richt Punt Option) offense. Harris ripped off some nice runs in 2018 but then tailed off at the end a bit.

Don't you tell me my business again OrangeBowlMagic

Homer averaged 6.0 a clip last year, Deejay averaged 5.7. I always was a bigger fan of Homer than most on this board, but truthfully he wasn't really much better last year than Deejay was. IMO Deejay is a much better natural runner, has much better vision, and better feet. Homer is the much better athlete. They were pretty good last year, when you consider how awful the QB and coaching was.

But I expect a big year from Deejay and those 2 young kids are gonna be right on his *** for playing time. This is a very good RB room. Yes, I wish Martin was eligible. But in the games that take the whole 4 quarters to win, you're not playing more than 3 backs. If one of those 3 get hurt, we'll talk. Right now, it's a very good group of backs.

His workload may not increase as much as you think. We ran 835 plays last year, good for 98th in the country. So I'll agree with you that, logically speaking, if you have a more efficient offense (and we all pray to Christ we will), we'll run more plays. But Enos is not a tempo coach. We're not going to all of a sudden run 1000 plays. So even if you say we have a 10% increase, let's go with 920 plays.

Last year we had a combined 381 touches from our backs. Again, say that increases by 10%. So we're at about 420 touches.

Homer got 183 (48%)
Deejay got 119 (31%)
Harris got 31 (8%)
Choc got 28 (7%)

We lost Choc & Homer...so that's a loss of 211 touches. Certainly a void to fill, but you've now really got 3 backs vying for those rather than just essentially 2. So if you assume Deejay gets Homer's workload, then you're going to give half the touches to Lingard and Cam combined? I'm not sure that's the best strategy. I actually think it may be more of a 40/30/30 split. Those 2 young kids are too talented to give 15% of the touches to. They need to work. So if Deejay gets 40% of the touches, and we assume we run 10% more plays, you can probably project him for 170ish touches. 13 or so a game. It'll be very interesting to see how the workload shakes out. But I don't think there's a chance in **** that Deejay gets 48% of the touches like Homer did last year.

thank you

Thank you @OrangeBowlMagic . I was going to mention the fact that we will almost certainly run more plays this year and if the offense is even a little better, have more leads. That means more carries for the backs.

I'm not as down on Dallas as some people here. I don't think he's an All American type talent but he consistently gets positive yards. You need a guy like that when the rest of the running back room is sophomores.

Advertisement

Homer got 183 (48%)
Deejay got 119 (31%)
Harris got 31 (8%)
Choc got 28 (7%)

So I'll agree with you that, logically speaking, if you have a more efficient offense (and we all pray to Christ we will), we'll run more plays.

Technically if we were perfectly efficient we would score on every play (understood not possible). The quicker we score the more efficient we are. Therefore we would run LESS plays per game (less touches).

I’m still patiently optimistic about Burns showing his skills. Every so often I rewind his highlight reel and think of what could be.

Yeah I’m not writing him off either, not saying he is anywhere near as good as gore but if message boards were around in the early 2000s many “Miami” fans would have talked **** of sh*t about his injuries too and wrote him off as well after the two knee surgeries at Miami. He only went on to become one of the best rbs ever in the nfl.

I’m still patiently optimistic about Burns showing his skills. Every so often I rewind his highlight reel and think of what could be.

I'm still patiently optimistic that Tupac will headline at Coachella. I think they already have the artist's set for 2020, so maybe in 2021?

Advertisement
The situation becomes tenuous when you consider the following:

-Homer should still be here
-Miami signed 0 RBs in 2019
-Burns is a walking vase
-Lingard is coming off an injury
-Martin isn't eligible
-Dallas is a fat fumbling machine
-Harris has 20 career carries
-Realus is a fullback
-No preferred walkons on the roster
r9
Have to say not an intelligent post when you completely diss DJ Dallas. I seem to remember a lot of big plays in big games from DJ. Not in the first round but fully expect to see DJ drawing an NFL check in 20 or 21 so he cant be that bad. So Harris had only 20 carries? Did you notice what he did with those 20 carries? I noticed him running away from people into the end zone several times.

Honestly would rather he leaves after this year. Can’t really see another year of him taking snaps from More talented backs next year when you have at least 3 guys on the roster more gifted than him in lingard, Chaney and Davis possibly being 4 if we get knighton. He may do it this year but idk about in 2020 . Plus you can’t pass up an opportunity for the nfl especially when you have a family to feed as he recently just had a kid

i doubt Chaney and or whoever we sign won't be better than DJ coming in....career wise could be a different story..... lot of yall sleep on dallas watch him put up 1k this season if he stays healthy.

Advertisement
The situation becomes tenuous when you consider the following:

-Homer should still be here
-Miami signed 0 RBs in 2019
-Burns is a walking vase
-Lingard is coming off an injury
-Martin isn't eligible
-Dallas is a fat fumbling machine
-Harris has 20 career carries
-Realus is a fullback
-No preferred walkons on the roster

Lmao welcome to College football... especially looking at a position that is usually 3 and done from the moment they show up on campus...

Don't get "Rok'ed" folks

WOW, great Junior year HS film of Robert Burns. If he were a 2020 commit everyone would be saying he deserved a 5th star. Who knows, maybe his body is worn out or maybe he has had a freekish string of bad luck injuries? Maybe he emerges as a big time player this year. Either way, I have only heard he is a good and smart young man. Having limited play young men that do well in life is not a bad thing for a Unniversity? Just don't understand the hate towards young men that don't happen to develop (out of 85) into NFL first round draft picks.

Advertisement
I don’t think RB depth is a problem. And I don’t get why Dallas is so undervalued by our fan base. I guess bc he’s not a burner but he’s got tons of talent and so versatile. Whether he decides to try and leave it early is another convo but not sure why we as Canes fans would want him to leave early. Besides running the ball, he’s excelled catching it and on STs. We’re better with him then without.

Yeah I’m not writing him off either, not saying he is anywhere near as good as gore but if message boards were around in the early 2000s many “Miami” fans would have talked **** of sh*t about his injuries too and wrote him off as well after the two knee surgeries at Miami. He only went on to become one of the best rbs ever in the nfl.
They were around fucchead

Advertisement
Back