In light of recent events, if the NCAA expands the numbers a school can take in... (LB's)

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
...we need to bring in 3 LB's who will become our starters. If we keep the Striker position, then we're already set there, but we still need 3 for depth.

We have experience at CB and it looks like we'll get the former #3 CB in the country to take one of our spots. Also, T-Rob will be training them. This is no small thing.

We already have a veteran DE coming in to go along with a solid DE room.

DT is set-set with Nesta/Ford returning, plus Jess coaching them up.

But, we will still get gashed mightily unless something changes in the LB room. We have arguably the worst LB coach in P5, so at minimum, there will be no development of our LB's, and probably regression is in order. Shaq and Pink were able to hide schematic flaws against a lot of teams. You see what happens in this scheme without someone there to erase fissures in the Manny scheme.

So, if the NCAA allows this new transfer rule, let's grab 3 veteran and SMART LB's, so we can get through this year. I wanted the Samoan, but it looks like he's headed to MSU or something like that, so whatever, go get LB's. There's way over a thousand kids in the portal, now. I find it hard to believe we can't bring in 3 solid (not asking for J Phillips level) players, that are ready to look better than they are because of the DL play that's coming, and help us to win 10 games.

Don't know if he's already been scooped up, but one of the ND starting LB's hit the portal. Let's check out him, the Samoan, if he's available and really, any LB's that understand the position and how to read D's.

I truly believe in Simpson and the kids we have coming back on the DL (especially at DT), and as I've said numerous times throughout the years on CIS, just like USC 03'/04', Miami 89', Nebraska (the Suh years), if you have dominant DL (especially DT) play, the guys behind them will appear better than they are and the whole D will be solid.

This is what we need. Don't have the LB's or the coaching to get average to above average LB play to go along with a dominant DL and a vastly improved secondary, bring in guys that other coaches have already trained properly. We need this until Baker is removed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Still think we should be prepared to see a pretty big drop off in DE play from last year.
I think this could be muted partially by not only better training via Simpson, but also the way he has his DL play. In other words, his guys weren't just interested in TFL's and sacks, but also in stopping the run and containing the QB from taking off. Because of this, I don't know that we'll see as much dropoff as we would if Stroud was still coaching the DL.

0 chance they bring in 3 LBs.

If they open spots we may get 1 LB and probably fill in some additional HS prospects if we have time for it.

The roster is never going to become non-reliant on the portal until we take full HS classes and address all of our needs at all positions which we did not do in 2021 (CB, DE, and RB all need an additional player or 2)

Bruh 3?!? we play a 4-2-5 so you want to get 3 transfers, one of which will not play over the other 2 and not to mention we have Brooks, Jennings, Steed, Flagg, Huff, Cave, Troutman, Johnson (davis maybe?). We have 8 players for 2 spots and you want to make that 11? Am I reading that correctly?

Advertisement
Bruh 3?!? we play a 4-2-5 so you want to get 3 transfers, one of which will not play over the other 2 and not to mention we have Brooks, Jennings, Steed, Flagg, Huff, Cave, Troutman, Johnson (davis maybe?). We have 8 players for 2 spots and you want to make that 11? Am I reading that correctly?
Yep. LB play has hurt us as much as anything under Baker. For instance, if Shaq/Pink were starting for us against UNC this year, not only do they not gash us for historic numbers, we're actually in the game.

Regardless of the number, we don't have any reliable LB's (outside of Flagg) that I feel comfortable with coming into this season. We need at least one to come in and take a starting spot. Flagg could play Mike and they could bring someone else in for the other spot. Under Baker, these guys are not only untrained, but are regressing. Bring in some backers that another coach on another team has trained, so we can get through this transitional year and Baker can bugger off in Jan. 2022.

Yep. LB play has hurt us as much as anything under Baker. For instance, if Shaq/Pink were starting for us against UNC this year, not only do they not gash us for historic numbers, we're actually in the game.

Regardless of the number, we don't have any reliable LB's (outside of Flagg) that I feel comfortable with coming into this season. We need at least one to come in and take a starting spot. Flagg could play Mike and they could bring someone else in for the other spot. Under Baker, these guys are not only untrained, but are regressing. Bring in some backers that another coach on another team has trained, so we can get through this transitional year and Baker can bugger off in Jan. 2022.

This I agree with. One. 3 is overkill considering we just signed 3-4 LB's this class and are relatively young at the position. I am also unsure how you can say the LB's regressed under Baker seeing as most (with the exception of McCloud who is the same player he always was) they were all first time starters. For the record f@ck baker and I do think the room is a mess but we have some young talent I would rather develop as oppose to taking 3 transfers It is bad roster management and not needed.

So forget bout cb, ol, just to add to a loaded room in numbers only not talent, it could be talented but only 2 or 3 have extensive playing time. And at least 2 of them mccloud n jennings don't belong here anymore. If u said one I'm with u! But the youngins need this year to show what they got.

This I agree with. One. 3 is overkill considering we just signed 3-4 LB's this class and are relatively young at the position. I am also unsure how you can say the LB's regressed under Baker seeing as most (with the exception of McCloud who is the same player he always was) they were all first time starters. For the record f@ck baker and I do think the room is a mess but we have some young talent I would rather develop as oppose to taking 3 transfers It is bad roster management and not needed.
This last phrase in bold. is kind of my whole point. Yes, we have young talent, but we don't have anyone who knows anything to train them. That's why we need to bring LB's that can start for us and even give us depth. Manny's guy has left us with a gaping maw in the center of our D. Since Manny didn't think LB's were necessary or a priority, he didn't bring in anyone to train them. So, until we have someone who knows how to coach up the young LBing talent on the team, we need to bring in kids who actually have been trained at the position.

Advertisement
So forget bout cb, ol, just to add to a loaded room in numbers only not talent, it could be talented but only 2 or 3 have extensive playing time. And at least 2 of them mccloud n jennings don't belong here anymore. If u said one I'm with u! But the youngins need this year to show what they got.
I'm not worried about CB or OL this year. But, LB? We have a serious problem at that spot and we need a bridge to get us by until Manny or his successor, brings in someone to train those guys.

Oh don't get it twisted! I agree with everything you said except the #3!
Could I interest you in 2 at least? One to start and one for depth?
:)

id buy that for a dollar GIF

Advertisement

sorry but Flagg was just as unreliable as the others-if not more.

Advertisement
sorry but Flagg was just as unreliable as the others-if not more.
He had a bad game against UNC like all the other LB's, but he's shown enough to give me some hope. Very heady player. He should start at Mike this year, but I guess Jennings is coming back and they'll probably go with an undeserving senior, because we never see that around here. Anyway, I'm hoping we don't ruin Flagg before we can get a legitimate LB coach in here.

I think this could be muted partially by not only better training via Simpson, but also the way he has his DL play. In other words, his guys weren't just interested in TFL's and sacks, but also in stopping the run and containing the QB from taking off. Because of this, I don't know that we'll see as much dropoff as we would if Stroud was still coaching the DL.

I have seen several people make this statement. You think it was Stroud and not the DC scheme?

Advertisement
Back