In Defense of MC

Obviously MC allowed the wrong play to be called at the end of the GT game. Should have been a QB kneel, no question. BUT, the narrative that he made this same mistake at Oregon is, in my opinion, flat out wrong.

If you go back and look at the 2018 Oregon/Stanford game, it was 2nd and 3 (Oregon ball) and Stanford had one timeout. If Oregon gets three yards for a first down, game over. If Oregon takes a knee for two consecutive plays, and Stanford uses their timeout, Oregon has to punt the ball back to Stanford with around 16-18 seconds on the clock. That is a lot of time in college football. If anyone watched last night's game between Houston and WVU, 2 touchdowns were scored in the last 22 seconds of that game.

If you ask me, most coaches would trust their team to get three yards on the ground to win the game before they willingly give the opponents offense a chance to win or tie the game.

Again, MC should have stepped in last Saturday, but I disagree with the narrative that he let this happen before.
Mood What GIF by NBC

Advertisement
Sure, cr@p happens, but its undeniable that he is not a great gameday coach and he is good for about 1 loss a year that sits directly on him. He is who he is.
But you also expect him to learn from his mistakes. I’d bet that never happens again. As much as that game hurt, no one is going to work harder to rectify his mistakes.

Obviously MC allowed the wrong play to be called at the end of the GT game. Should have been a QB kneel, no question. BUT, the narrative that he made this same mistake at Oregon is, in my opinion, flat out wrong.

If you go back and look at the 2018 Oregon/Stanford game, it was 2nd and 3 (Oregon ball) and Stanford had one timeout. If Oregon gets three yards for a first down, game over. If Oregon takes a knee for two consecutive plays, and Stanford uses their timeout, Oregon has to punt the ball back to Stanford with around 16-18 seconds on the clock. That is a lot of time in college football. If anyone watched last night's game between Houston and WVU, 2 touchdowns were scored in the last 22 seconds of that game.

If you ask me, most coaches would trust their team to get three yards on the ground to win the game before they willingly give the opponents offense a chance to win or tie the game.

Again, MC should have stepped in last Saturday, but I disagree with the narrative that he let this happen before.
Screenshot_20231013_132913_Gallery.jpg

Advertisement
But you also expect him to learn from his mistakes. I’d bet that never happens again. As much as that game hurt, no one is going to work harder to rectify his mistakes.
I mean, you hope he learned something there and doesn't repeat it...but ideally you want your HC to have a firing synapse that lets him reason out that he had a freaking win locked up and to make the simplest decision possible to not p||as it away

Advertisement
Back