In bounds play

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
I coached youth and travel BB for about 15 years up until 3 years ago. The very first practice of every season I had the kids learn 2 in bounds plays ...2. This team has one and no matter if there is 8,10,12 or 28 seconds on the clock they throw it 3/4 of the court away from the basket. It is borderline psychotic. It has me screaming at the tv

Advertisement
I coached youth and travel BB for about 15 years up until 3 years ago. The very first practice of every season I had the kids learn 2 in bounds plays ...2. This team has one and no matter if there is 8,10,12 or 28 seconds on the clock they throw it 3/4 of the court away from the basket. It is borderline psychotic. It has me screaming at the tv

This isn't true.

The deep pass is merely the last of the options. It's not done every time so therefore it can't be the only one.

Watching today's game, it was frustrating to see how many times they just threw the ball to the other end of the court. The two times that we did a real in bounds play we were successful (Walker's 1st half layup and Huell's bank shot to cut it to 3). I understand that it's hard to get the ball in bounds against the zone but it seemed like the 3/4 court pass was the first option on a lot of the in bounds plays rather than the last one.

Watching today's game, it was frustrating to see how many times they just threw the ball to the other end of the court. The two times that we did a real in bounds play we were successful (Walker's 1st half layup and Huell's bank shot to cut it to 3). I understand that it's hard to get the ball in bounds against the zone but it seemed like the 3/4 court pass was the first option on a lot of the in bounds plays rather than the last one.

It's a relatively low risk play, and unless you are deep into the shot clock, it gives you a chance to get a set going. I don't have a problem with it, because when a good PG is back there, it gives them an advantage. Go watch Shane, Angel or non PG Davon Reed last season run that play. Utilizing the entire court gave them an advantage. Lykes has done well with it, Quan is just incompetent in the half court period, so I don't even include him in my calculations.

Advertisement
We did it yesterday with 8,10 and 12 seconds on the clock and they were not thrown with 1 sec on the 5 sec clock. that was the called play. We did it against Virginia as well. Oh well dead horse

I was thinking the same thing. If Perry doesnt workout next year we should trot out one of the kids on our Bball team to be the QB next year. They throw better deep balls than rosier.

I'm sure we had some "normal" in bounds passes but the long ones with little time on the clock really ****ed me off. Dead horse lets move on

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back