Impact of sun roof & crowd noise this year

Advertisement
MODS: ANOTHER STADIUM THREAD....please create a new board for those who have Alzheimers where all things down to the security crew's personal life can be aired.

What's w this roof business??! It's a canopy, not a roof. It'll make minimum impact on crowd noise. Seats r still too far from the field.

Well lets see how Sun life is after they put the roof on and have installed the 4 giant screens, there won't be another college team playing in a stadium like it. The roof should make it hella loud even with 50K fans in there, because supposedly the dolphins stadium designers studied stadium acoustic design.

Miami Dolphins provide fans a closer look at Sun Life Stadium renovations | FOX Sports
Garfinkel, however, doesn't expect the team's home-field advantage to suffer as a result.

"We actually did significant acoustic studies on the design," said Garfinkel. "The studies are incredible. The crowd noise is actually going to increase in the new stadium. The way roof has been designed, it actually keeps the crowd noise in and it's actually going to get louder."

[video=youtube;MF3zICsoKuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF3zICsoKuU[/video]
Actually

Open air stadiums reflect no sound at all. It goes up, and just dissipates, so ANY type of roof will reflect more sound than nothing. That being said, if it's a material that does not reflect sound, but absorbs it, there won't be a huge increase in sound. It'll be an increase, but nothing earth shattering. If it's a material that doesn't absurd sound well, and reflects most, it'll be a huge difference. I hope to goodness they really researched their materials. Harder materials reflect more, while softer absurd more. That mesh better be rather tightly knit, and made from a hard, smooth material, or it'll grab the sound and not send much back. I hope they also did a significant amount of research into resonant frequencies....
We really don't know how the acoustics will be changed with a roof.
I have talked to some architects and sound engineers and some say roof materials can absorb sounds and make crowds sound muffled.

Advertisement
SLS was plenty loud against FSU, taint, UFm Okla, and GT in 09.

it CAN get loud. especially at night.

you're just soft shouldered Miami hater if you deny this.

I've been in that stadium when its been plenty loud. people need to quit *****ing. the orange bowl is gone. its not coming back. at least its better than its been

One comment in this thread is deadly accurate: No other college team will play in a stadium like this. Dozens of miles from campus, I don't remember too many forced awkward patchworks to the Rose Bowl.

Our stadium somehow invites those expensive alterations every half dozen years or so. Then we go through the inevitable traveling salesman claims of "equivalent of a new stadium" and wild projections of increased home field impact.

Meanwhile, very little changes. I expect similar this time. Bar Stool caliber Happy Adjustments are favored to fail, much more often than not. The flawed 1987 foundation is exponentially more relevant than any desperate patch. The seats still begin too far away, the rows slope sharply away from the field, the upper deck is pulled back almost like a reclining chair, it's a cement slab unlike the rocking metallic Orange Bowl, and the location itself is like Joe Robbie was determined to find the most boring section of South Florida.

I've detailed the numbers previously, that Sun Life plays 1-1.5 points worse than the typical NFL stadium, when using Dolphins home field point differential compared to road game point differential during the same period. That's the best way to do it since it incorporates the team at varied level of strength throughout, as opposed to comparing merely home games in Sun Life compared to home games at the Orange Bowl earlier, when the Dolphins were a superior team overall. With 20+ seasons in the sample the confidence level is considerable, as opposed to Canes merely since 2008.

My concern is air flow in the upper deck. I won't be confident the architects didn't ***** that up until I experience normalcy for myself. There are always unexpected problems that none of the diagrams or computer simulations capture.

Its our best situation right now, because we signed that terrible deal, and the upgrades are nice, wish we could at least get a Marlins Park deal

Advertisement
Its our best situation right now, because we signed that terrible deal, and the upgrades are nice, wish we could at least get a Marlins Park deal

best case scenario, an asteroid crashes onto the spaceship stadium while Marlins owners are inside.

Advertisement
Back