IMG Question

Miami04

Senior
Full disclosure, during the Golden years I stopped keeping up with recruiting because it was maddening. But because of this sites, and mainly Pete's, coverage I dipped my toe back in the water last year. So I am a little behind on times.

I say all that to ask, what is IMG Academy? Is it a traditional high school? I hear their name during recruiting all the time, they always seem to have some of the top players in American. If I remember correctly Michigan offered the entire team one time. But you never hear their name during High School playoff talk. Am I just blind and deaf and they are in playoff talk or is it a High School/Training Program that doesn't compete in the normal sense of High School football?

Just looking for clarity. Thanks.

Advertisement
It's basically an all-star team of the best talent around the country. Just a prep school basically for college that plays a national schedule.

So if I am reading Wiki right, basically any kid can go there and live, train and play football for the sole purpose of getting a college scholarship.

Advertisement
Not an actual high school. It's a training facility on steroids that was bought from Nick Bollettieri and David Leadbetter to justify sending your kid off for year round specialized training (and education) back when kids used to play multiple sports. Don't get me wrong they're getting just that, but kinda reminds me of a Chinese gymnastic camp.

This is a good video to watch on IMG Academy

[video=youtube;OZauHG2qMYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZauHG2qMYE[/video]

It's a very expensive boarding school with a focus on athletics. They get kids from across the country (and not just in football) who want to play collegiate or professional sports. They also offer financial assistance to some of the better athletes in the country (to make certain they always have a few of the best kids and are generating buzz).

The concept is great imo. Similar things happen in Europe for futbol. Kids start at a really young age there and they do schooling at academy's similar to IMG.

These kids get a much better education/experience than what inner city (and most public) schools have to offer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I live directly across the street from this ****hole. Place is ridiculous.

(place isn't a ****hole at all, actually it's pretty amazing)

Miami needs to establish a pipeline with all these prep schools...these kids are practically managing a college schedule already.

Miami needs to establish a pipeline with all these prep schools...these kids are practically managing a college schedule already.
We are. 3 kids on roster from IMG and two more committed already in hightower and art. One more on the way soon

Advertisement
How did this school get started? It seems like it would be a massive investment from the land aspect alone, then factor in all of the facilities.

Advertisement
How did this school get started? It seems like it would be a massive investment from the land aspect alone, then factor in all of the facilities.

It's a multi billion dollar international talent agency. They literally created an athletic school to funnel athletes to their agency once they turn pro. It's brilliant, but man, I would take a lot of money to pull this off, and Florida was a perfect place to start this kind of endeavor. It stills boggles the mind when you realize a sports agency literally has a high school, smh lol.

It's way bigger than just kids getting scholarships. It's about identifying them when they're young, and representing them when they turn pro. That's their return on their investment.

Last edited:

It's a multi billion dollar international talent agency. They literally created an athletic school to funnel athletes to their agency once they turn pro. It's brilliant, but man, I would take a lot of money to pull this off, and Florida was a perfect place to start this kind of endeavor. It stills boggles the mind when you realize a sports agency literally has a high school, smh lol.

It's way bigger than just kids getting scholarships. It's about identity fying them when they're young, and representing them when they turn pro. That's their return on their investment.

WOW..

It's way bigger than just kids getting scholarships. It's about identifying them when they're young, and representing them when they turn pro. That's their return on their investment.

It started from the tennis coach Nick Bollettieri as a tennis academy which the likes of Agassi, Courier, Seles, and Sharapova among others went. Sharapova is the poster child as she moved to Bradenton at 4 years old to start training. He is 85 now and in the last 10 years or so it started to grow into more of a full talent academy as he stepped aside and IMG grew it to this now

free market capitalism is a beautiful thing.

Advertisement
Back