I'm positive and happy with the win...but, the last play???? Dumb!!

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
You're only allowed to send 5 eligible receivers down the field. Why on God's green earth would we EVER not rush at least 4 if not 5 players???? That still leaves you more DB's than eligible receivers.

Just last game we proved that sometimes hail Mary's do work if you can throw the ball into the end zone. The ball landed in the middle of a puddle of UVA and Cane players. This is after their QB scrambled for a while to get his guys down the field. If we rush 4, he has to throw it faster and if we rush 5, they might've gotten another sack and for sure he has to hurry his throw.

Please, going forward, no less than 4 pass rushers on a Hail Mary!!!

Advertisement
It was really stupid. Incredibly stupid. I detailed it in a post last night.

Their quarterback didn't come close to reaching the end zone on the prior play Hail Mary when we played standard attacking defense. The quarterback was under duress and didn't reach the 10 yard line. Virginia was winded and had no time outs. You could sense the lack of energy and resigned to their fate. They were not going to threaten the end zone at all until we bailed that out with not only a gift time but then a moronic defensive strategy.

In my area we all talked about it prior to the play. This guy can reach the end zone if you allow him a breather and to wander around for plenty of time, while his receivers also have plenty of time to get down there. Virginia used the gift time out successfully to design an opportunity that we essentially handed them on a silver platter.

Just because the play was stopped doesn't mean we should ignore it. As soon as that ball was launched it was obvious it had the perfect distance to middle of the end zone and now was going to enter pot luck territory.

Yeah this play scared me senseless, especially after the defensive effort the team pulled out up to that point. Why we wouldn’t pressure Perkins when it’s known he can’t throw it well under duress. I was on pins and needles until the clock ran out and the ball fell innocently to the floor. The previous play @10yd line we whiffed completely on what should’ve been an interception. I was nervous that given another try that they would have surely gotten the play they needed to try for a 2pt conversion. Glad to see it didn’t come to fruition.

You're only allowed to send 5 eligible receivers down the field. Why on God's green earth would we EVER not rush at least 4 if not 5 players???? That still leaves you more DB's than eligible receivers.

Just last game we proved that sometimes hail Mary's do work if you can throw the ball into the end zone. The ball landed in the middle of a puddle of UVA and Cane players. This is after their QB scrambled for a while to get his guys down the field. If we rush 4, he has to throw it faster and if we rush 5, they might've gotten another sack and for sure he has to hurry his throw.

Please, going forward, no less than 4 pass rushers on a Hail Mary!!!
Doug Flutie disagrees with you

Advertisement
I always think of that play the Chiefs made against the cowboys when they had everyone pinned up in the endzone with these types of scenarios..alllllll of that space, never understood why more teams dont get their most electric player on a shorter route and create a wall of blockers around them going against full on prevent defenses. Would imagine the success rate is much higher.

I agree with you but I will detail something even dumber and it refers to Enos and Manny. First of all Manny uses ONE TIMEOUT in the first half where he could have called a TO to regroup the defense right before half. VA made a crucial first down right before half and they kicked the FG. Manny certainly makes Randy like a genius. Second and most alarming is the usage of the clock on the long drive we scored near the end of the game. I counted about 7-8 plays that we snapped the ball at around 10 seconds. My point being is that we gave Virginia about 70 EXTRA SECONDS because of the blatant stupidity of ENOS and Manny. Cannot believe we didn't run the clock down on every play on that drive to shorten the clock. Would have been a true bummer if they scored on the HAIL MARY because the entire loss would be on them, specifically Dan Enos OC. This team never quit and kudos to the kids. They deserve much better coaching because this staff from top to bottom is INEPT ! Go CANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back